1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I hope this is a joke. The horse bolted before he even realised there was a barn.

South Korea has been dealing well with it, early testing, early quarantining, rapid hotspot notifications.

We're only just now talking about testing frontline staff.

Yeah, awesome job.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Nexxo likes this.
  3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's already there. They already have a travel warning for bad health infrastructure. It's going to be really bad.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

About testing:
    [​IMG]

5. oscy

oscy Modder

Meanwhile in America, people are being given $1,200 each to tide them over and immediately blowing it on new PCs and TVs.

Weekly_Estimate and MLyons like this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I mean, I've been responsible, I've got savings, if HMG were to hand me a £1000 up front I'd put it towards a new PC too. Maybe I wouldn't buy it immediately but it's where it would be going.

Weekly_Estimate and liratheal like this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They are supposed to spend it to create csahflow for companies that would otherwise be at risk of bankruptcy, the absolute worst outcome of a handout like that would be if people squirrelled the money away in a savings account rather than spending it.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think you also have to factor in the time at which testing was implemented.

If frontline staff had had testing from early on we wouldn't be asking retired doctors and nurses back to work, many of who may ve in a high risk group.

Many current staff are stuck at home as they had symptoms but no idea whether it's covid.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We're going to get food tomorrow! As my partner is a cop she gets to go in early in Aldi (I think) tomorrow. Although she's had to go out today to try and get food for the rest of her family. Her mum, dad and one of her brothers are high risk and in complete lock down. Her aunt and grandad are too, her aunt is not long out of hospital from pneumonia and septicemia, so she's worried sick about them all.

I have a stomach "complaint" for the third time in 2 weeks, although today is probably the worst. The only thing I can think may be causing it was the multiack of pepperami, as there's nothing else we've had around for that long.

adidan likes this.
  10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Exactly. The last thing the government want is for people to save that money, because then it doesn't do any good. They want people to go out and spend it, to stimulate the economy and avoid it grinding to a halt. Sure, it would be great if everyone spent it on 100% essentials rather than luxuries but at the same time, the economy is built on consumption.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Our tax bills came in the mail just like clockwork. :thumb: They took this opportunity to spike the property values $40-50,000 or so since you have to go to court to protest.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Am i the only one getting annoyed at the BBC informing the nation via getting experts to answer question that they've had sent in, maybe I'm just being my normal curmudgeonly self but some of them really make me wonder.

One they read out today was someone asking how they know if their cough is persistent. o_O

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well they do need to fill those 24 hours somehow even if the world is shutdown...

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I feel for all the sport TV's, they are literally stuck on replays for few weeks, possibly months.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

I follow professional cycling. They have no idea what the rest of the year will look like or if the teams and races will have gone to the wall before they get to appear.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Six months without ****ing live football TV. Silver linings.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I thought one of the benefits of the pandemic would be all of the sport cancellations. I wouldn't have it shoved it my ears every time I listen to the radio. But the station I normally listen to still reports on all the cancellations and have started looking back on historical events. Ugh, just give it a rest for a few months and get something else to report on.:wallbash: The only thing worse than sports news, is sports news from 20 years ago.

edzieba and BA_13 like this.
  18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Today Trump, while everyone was looking elsewhere, decided to disestablish the Mashpee Wampanoeg tribe. As in they're not a tribe, they have no reservation, and they may not even be Native Americans any more, depending on how strict they wanna be.

This is the tribe that Tisquantum, otherwise known as Squanto, came from. The Native that fed the Pilgrims.

Good look, that one. You just destroyed the tribe that ensured that America even happened. While they are in the midst of being hit HARD by COVID-19.

He's also rejected any oversight of his bailouts, and Texas and Ohio have deemed all abortions "nonessential" medical care and are threatening doctors if they do them, no matter the issue.

Yeah, the States are falling apart. For real.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it really that bad in the state? Viewing it through the filter of UK media outlets i get the impression Trump can't even comprehend what's going on, that he's so out of his depth he's struggling to understand the whole situation, are the media outlet in the states painting him in a good or bad light.

From over the pond every time i listen to Trump or learn about what measures they're putting in place it's like watching a Verge, how to build a PC, video.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In three months it's going to be carnage in the US. Seriously. What happened in Italy will be a picnic in comparison.