1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not sure i'm convinced that in the future we'll look back and think that having NHS staff stuck at home because they may have covid was a good thing, rather than have them tested and back at work if they didn't.

edzieba and bawjaws like this.
  2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

My viewpoint is:
    France, Spain absolutely underestimated the situation, locked down too late, they will get close to Italy's horror, but with room to spare.
    UK locked down even later and will get even worse than France and Spain, probably not Italy level tho.
    US is complete mayhem, they are going to end up worse than Italy in deaths per 100k people.

And in general for every "former" Western European country - make home made masks/bandanas/scarfs mandatory to be on face when outside/in stores/near other people.
    The fact that many still do not use masks while not knowing if they are infectious without symptoms is just horrifying and you literally put zero physical barriers to virus spread.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's a not-very-surprising, but depressing, thing I think most of us expected. The numbers of fines coming out of Italy and France for people violating lockdown rules was just insane, and will presumably only grow.

4. oscy

oscy Modder

I applied for JSA last week but someone said you basically had to be working full time for the past 2 years to be eligible now.

So applied for Universal Credit just now but because I don't have a current passport or ID card, that can't be done online and I have to make an appointment. Even though I could attach my birth certificate and bank card to an email. That's if the place is even open.

If I'm gonna be told to sit at home for 6 months to a year, it'd help to have some income...

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'll just leave this here for them:

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It perpetually disappoints me that people are so dumb.

But I was also dumber ten years ago, so..

adidan likes this.
  7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Seems more like one of those urban legends.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I'd go with that option too. It is useful from a public health perspective if dumb young folk believe that it is as dangerous to healthy young people, but it's more about the need to protect others than to save these idiots.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Had my first encounter with a moron today, citing this page on .gov.uk about how covid is no longer classified as an HCID and this means we're fine and we don't need to worry about it. Didn't seem to understand that just because a technical classification for a UK body has changed doesn't make it any less of a shitstorm. :duh:

adidan likes this.
  10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

That mostly depends on whether you consider death as the only unfavourable outcome

[​IMG]

Also - Which high street shops should get your money?

Anfield and adidan like this.
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Only today? You've really been socially isolating, haven't you? :p

edzieba, The_Crapman and Byron C like this.
  12. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Haven't had any encounters with any one here (aside from the Dr and Pharmacist, surprisingly after calling about partners flu symptoms the DR wanted to see her after surgery). A friend left our shopping in one of our barns as my partner and step child had almost all the Corvid-19 symptoms a couple of weeks ago so the first person we will actually see is the Vet today for a job that can't be postponed any longer (also well out of the 7 days since symptoms appeared, well disappeared in actual fact).

As for morons I've now decided to avoid the Thunderdome thread for now :eeek:.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I suspect the downgrading is so the government can avoid being sued by NHS workers who were repeatedly exposed to it without the correct PPE.

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No, neither am I. I'm just not willing to rule it out as a possibility, at least not just yet.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The day 20,000 former NHS workers return? Yeah, it's possible that some current workers who are stuck at home could be better off there...

Sorry mate, that's almost Trumpesque in its nonsense.

bawjaws likes this.
  16. oscy

oscy Modder

I don't know about morons but on YouTube I've encountered plenty of religious nuts and now a guy blaming me for this "deadly ancient disease that will end humanity" because I apparently went to Antarctica to see the world...?

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I'd like a stronger citation than a twitter post before believing that.

18. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

My Neighbour (in his 90's), thinks the virus is mother natures way -like a dog scratching to rid its self of fleas and parasites....The mind boggles..

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's more 'Trumpesque' to say it's a bad thing without knowing all the facts TBH, although ad hominems aren't exactly constructive so it's probably best if we refrain from those.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone of anything, I'm simply saying that personally I'd prefer to reserve judgment until all the facts are know and we won't know all the facts until all this is over, if you want to pass judgment before then that's fine, i just think it's a little rash to do so. :)

20. Risky

Risky Modder

Talked to Barclays again. This time the direct team dealing with the crisis. Much more positive. Hopefully we can get a loan and stay afloat.