1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT FQ1 - Any improvements?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Falqoon, 1 Apr 2020.

1. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Hi Bit-Tech community!

Been a long time since I've posted here. You might remember Project Stealth MKII from me. A case mod I did in cooperation with Cooler Master, Gigabyte, Plextor, E22, BitFenix & Plakjesuf (link to log note, images are broken).

This has been a while ago, actually, more than 6 years. After the mod there we're plans and progress on something new, but then life kicked in (in other words, I grew up). Moved out of my parents house into my own house, together with my girlfriend. Had to do a lot of renovation work which took literally all my spare time. A good six years fast forward and everything is going really well. Starting to have some free time again! I never gave up on lurking forums like this to see everybody's beautiful work. Now it started itching so bad, I've decided to do a new build. I will be doing a scratch build! More of that later.

As the pictures of project Stealth MKII died out on the web host (given up the domain) I luckily still have them, here's one for example:

stealthmkii.jpg

FQ1

Now, lets get to the new build! Project FQ1 (Falqoon One). I had decided that I want to have a clean, but open build. I've tried to do this for 50%. The GPU, MOBO and Radiator will be visible, the PSU will be covered internally. You might get a glimpse from the pump/res combo through the front panel as I'm still researching idea's for this, like a window, or mesh etc. I've learned a lot over the past year on handling Fusion 360, what an awesome application! This let me create the following design. I did not put a lot of work in rendering just yet, partly because I didn't do any yet, so I have to learn a bit first.

No actual building has been done yet. I would like to use the community to check whether they might see any pitfalls in the build, which I can easily rethink in this stage, before buying the necessary parts and figuring out later I needed a different length.

I will build the frame of 2020 aluminium extrusion profiles, to keep a certain modulated state for the internals. Also, this will provide good strength. I will then cover it up with aluminium sheets.

Please let me know what you think so far!

FQ1-2.jpg

FQ1-1.jpg

MOD-ON! :dremel:

Last edited: 1 Apr 2020
  2. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Hi Guys!

Yesterday evening I've done some rethinking. One thing I would like to keep in this build, is modularity. I'm planning to use the build for a long time, so I don't want to have a lot of work everytime a part changes, or if the parts change during the initial build itself.

I came to the conclusion that it is a lot more convenient if I'd place the radiator(s) inside the "box", and use the extrusion profiles, so i can even slide them back and forth if needed. This also means, that a second radiator will fit a triple size (360) radiator. Also meaning that it CAN have a bit of extra color on the outside by moving the reservoir there.

Downside is, that it will make the "box" 4cm deeper in total, I think thats a small downside that I would like to take.

Please let me know what you think. I'm definitely open for discussions and improvements! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You can panel mount many parts and do away with a lot of 80/20 to make more space inside. There's also switching to aluminum angles that would allow you to cut away material in places you need more room. If the sheet is strong enough, you could get away with only a top and bottom frame.
    -Honestly, 80/20 is overkill for such a small setup. The downside of moving to angle would be that you have to drill and thread tap.

Falqoon likes this.
  4. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Thanks for taking the time to overthink this, I really appreciate that! What do you mean by 80/20? I have thought of taking just simple angled aluminium profiles, thread tap it and go with that. However, This piece of material (the 2020 extrusion profile) is on my list of doing something with. I really like that its like SUPER sturdy, and at the same time you can mount things less permanent.

The downside of these profiles in my opinion is that you're a bit more bound to a "box" shape and less room for cool angles.

Huge thanks for letting me rethink this.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

80/20 is the original brand name for those extrusions. Sorry for the confusion.
    Sending wordy suggestions is what I do here. :D
    You could also build around a single covered square of 20/20. Like, use the thin chamber for cables, and panels mounted on the outer edges.

6. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

This was basically the original plan, but I got stuck on the radiator placement. I've got 2 240's lying around here that I would like to use.