1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about radiator placement

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Falqoon, 5 Apr 2020.

1. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Hi there!

For my new scratch build ( https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/project-fq1-new-drawings.374041/ ) I'm still not sure on how to place my radiators. How bad is it to mount a radiator onto a aluminium sheet without air that can go through?

I've added some images to clarify. I've drawn 1cm metal spacers between the radiator and the aluminium sheet so the air can go through the radiator, and then to the sides. Not sure how bad it will affect the temperature..

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

With a 120mm fan at full speed, I found you need at least an inch gap to keep the fan from starving/back washing.

3. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

So you're saying i need at least an inch behind the radiator, otherwise the 120 cannot push the air through the radiator without dying out?

Its set up as push now, so fresh air goes through the fans into the radiator, and was hoping that the air could be exhausted behind the radiator, because of a little "breathing" space between the sheet and the radiator..

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Could you not just cut out a rectangle/couple of fan holes/drill lots of holes?

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The issue you have is those fans have a area of around 28000mmsq but that spacing gives only 7200mmsq. You need a spacing closer to 40mm for full airflow. Hope this helpss :)