1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress 12" Sub Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boscoe, 4 Apr 2020.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I hope this is allowed here. I understand it's not a computer case but the rules don't mention that...

Anyway. I built a pair of active two way bookshelf speakers in my first year of uni way back in 2013. I still use them everyday and I love them. They lacking a little in the bass department though. It is finally the time for me to build a new sub.

Some of you may know you can get some extra bass output by building a resonant system with a port in the woofer enclosure. The thing is I'm an electronic engineer and not a carpenter so I'm going to cheat. I'm just going to stick a big driver in a small box (commonly done) and eq the heck out of it. I'm currently designing a custom Linux based DSP solution that is rack mountable. This will have a separate build log but is early days. So why a sub now? Well, I just want something o do outside while in isolation!

I'm using the SB Acoustics SB34SWPL76-3-DV link. SB Acoustics make incredible drivers at a very sensible cost. From my reading and experience nothing beats them. Scanspeak are regarded as the best in the business for pure quality, SB Acoustics or Sinar Barja was founded by a group of ex Scanspeak acoustic engineers.

The box is going to be 400mm cubed simply to keep it compact. I ordered 25mm thick MDF from CutMyPlastic (I have no affiliation, they did a great job) and some other bits and pieces from Ebay, no going out for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Apr 2020
    Defyant Mods likes this.
  2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

i got nps with it :p but F*CK the size of your pics are off the charts!!!!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you pre-drill with an 1/8" drill, you can put the screws in the edges of the MDF without splitting it. That would give you a lot more air inside.
    -I guess it's a little late to say that...

4. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

My companion built 15 inch speakers into the wall of the room. The woofer camera was a lumber room. Neighbors were surprised. He was an electronic engineer, too. :grin::dremel:

5. Boscoe

Thanks for the comments.

I have ordered the driver but I won't get it for another ~2 weeks due to it being ordered from the manufacturer.

Recently I sanded down all the sides, cut the hole for the driver, filled the holes, sanded and primed. Just need to give it the final paint job now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

censored_Prometheus_ likes this.
  6. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

In my opinion, the camera (volume) is too small for such a driver. :dremel:
    P.S. I am sure. Especially if you 're using the Closed Box scheme.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2020
  7. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I checked his driver's specs and he just need to stay close to 43 Litres, it's not a vented box so he can play a bit with the volume and not feeling too much difference.

From my experience having a relatively small volume, just watch out for the driver temps during warm days.

Thinking about it and being built to be used inside the house, you could find your self trying to talk to the police when already deaf by the time it overheat :hehe:.

*small grammar edit

Last edited: 9 Apr 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  8. Boscoe

Thanks both. Like I said in my first post, I have decided to trade efficiency for size. To get the output I desire I'll just apply some EQ.

Jean R, I'd never thought of that! In all honesty it's not going to work hard. I only rarely listen to music at very loud volumes and only for a few tracks - I like my hearing too much!

Arboreal likes this.