1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's the Folding@Home push?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by IamSoulRider, 12 Apr 2020.

1. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

With all the recent news articles around folding@home, I am surprised bit-tech hasn't made more noise about their Folding team. Many other sites have and seen a massive rise in team scores this month.

Custom PC & bit-tech team is ranked 12th overall, but are way down on credits in 18th place this month, and it's a busy folding month. I have switched my main machine over to folding for bit-tech, although there aren't a huge number of available work units, but how about a bit of a push on the website?

I mean the recent article about folding@home hitting 1.5 ExaFlops didn't even carry any mention of the team when it suggested getting involved.

Votick likes this.
  2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Won't be one as the current owners don't really care.
    Was better when Dennis owned bit-tech.

Least we had the mag and our signatures worked. :grin:

If you want a team that pushes the cause Linus Tech Tips of EVGA forums seem to encourage it.

Otherwise come join the "OG's" who are still plodding on :)

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'm afraid Votick is right - there has been no real interest from CustomPC or bit-tech for years, and there are no links between the two of them anymore, so probably less incentive for either of them to push it.

Perhaps the current focus on Covid-19 might gee-up both parties though; CustomPC had an article this month, and MLyons from bit-tech has jumped on-board switching their rendering power to F@H.

Here's hoping ...

I'm one of the "OG's" by the way (you can tell, as I had to look up what 'OG' meant !!!) :hehe:

countstex and MLyons like this.
  4. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Hi Guy's,

I was an OG on the original bit-tech team before the merge with CPC happened, can't find any of my old accounts, bit-tech or Folding, so had to make all new. I remember the old times, guess that is what I am looking for again.

Nevermind, I am folding on CPC&Bit for now, but we'll see what happens in the future.

MLyons likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hadn't thought about doing an article on the website. Let me see what I can get done.

We do care. Why do you think we've shifted resources we could be using to render videos and make money over to folding? In fact our new benchmark suites are very likely to include folding numbers. I got sigs working but hadn't worked out how to limit it to the folding forums as I believe images aren't allowed in sigs. It's probably a few hours of work to limit it by forum so I'll see what my schedule is looking like Tuesday.

EDIT: Article going up next week. Writing it now.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2020
  6. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Well, first time I've thought to login to these forums in a billion years -- thought I best put my PC to use while I'm sat here next to it, on a work laptop.

An extra 2500K and RX480 to go into the mix. :)

Shirty, Arboreal, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  7. DocJonz

Great, welcome to the Folding team :thumb:

Arboreal likes this.
  8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hey all, not been in here for ages since retiring good few years ago, hope all the OG's are doing well, awesome you are still at it Doc & Votick! I'm trying to chuck a GTX1070 in where I can but hardly any WU's getting picked up, don't have anywhere near all the dedicated rigs I used to fold on, maybe one day will be back at it again 24x7 but for now a 1070 and a 1080Ti is all I can offer :happy:

9. DocJonz

Hi there coolamasta - good to have you back again :thumb:

10. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

I've been folding for 35947 as jonesd98 since 2004, I 1st read about it in the mag.
    Sad to see the demise of the team really, it was always nice to see my username printed in the magazine, of course the science is why I still fold though.

souper82 and IamSoulRider like this.
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You know what. I might have an idea for this. I can't give a time frame as it's currently not public but I think we might be able to do something cool. Let me talk to a few people.

Votick, IamSoulRider and Arboreal like this.
  12. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Got my main rig Ryzen 2700x and a 1080ti in the fold and hopefully will have a 32 core threadripper in the fold in the next 24 hours.

You can tell just by the number of extra servers that have been spun up to hand out WU's that a lot of people are coming together.
    https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

MLyons likes this.
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, I see what you did there :D

MLyons likes this.
  14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

32 core threadripper is now running WU's as well :)

Between 500-700K PPD it seems

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
  15. Votick

Did the article drop? I didn't see it.

16. MLyons

We've had some thing pop up which I've had to deal with. Once I get some spare time I'll be finishing it up

Votick likes this.
  17. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Hi all, I'm (still!) the editor of Custom PC.

Just wanted to say that we're reintroducing the Folding@home stats page in the magazine as of the latest issue, which also contains a feature about Folding@home and an interview with director Greg Bowman about the project's COVID-19 research. I'll be putting up a piece about it on the main Raspberry Pi blog soon as well. Hopefully this will all inspire more people to get folding, and maybe even join team 35947.

I'm aware that we haven't given much coverage to Folding@home over the last couple of years, mainly due to declining interest from our readers (particularly during the cryptocurrency GPU boom), but I think this is a great time for people to get folding again. I'd also like to thank everyone who's stuck with the team throughout the years. One quote from Greg Bowman in the interview stood out, which shows that a lot of the latest COVID-19 research simply wouldn't be possible without the work of teams such as ours in the past:

‘It’s really exciting to see people coming together over this – joining forces to tackle this shared enemy, but we’re only in a position to start doing this because we already had this base of 30,000 users who were excited to help with our work on cancer and Alzheimer’s and other diseases. I hope when we finally get this COVID-19 situation under control that people will continue their appreciation for this, and help us attack these other maladies as well.’

18. Votick

Well that push went well :) pmsl

19. DocJonz

To be fair, the number of active users on the team trebled at the end of March, and stayed high throughout April and May. They have dipped a bit now, but are still at 2.5x pre-Covid days. I'm sure the 'push' in the mag has had some influence on that.

20. souper82

souper82 Retired 'n' Lovin It !

I was folding for 35947 for quite a wee while so what's the Team number for Bit-Tec so's i can start folding again..?