1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Blowing 2020

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by meandmymouth, 8 Jan 2020.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

26M points and it'll take me just over 3 weeks to break in to the top 150 for the team.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Internet outage overnight killed my already hobbled output :wallbash:

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm really happy that folding has received such recognition during this crisis, yet on the other I invested several thousand pounds on this hardware specifically to help, and it's not getting utilised properly.

Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  3. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Can't do much trumpet blowing, but I finally made it onto the team scoreboard.

My main problem is lack of work units, my rig is capable of 1.8M+ a day, but I am lucky to get 400K worth of work a day. I tend to get some CPU jobs before 4PM, then CPU and GPU jobs constantly until 8PM, then the odd CPU job through the night before next to nothing again most of the next day.

Any advice other than moving closer to the work servers to get more work?

MLyons and Arboreal like this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

@IamSoulRider I think it's the luck of the draw on work allocation at the moment as Shirty said.
    With the large jump in people folding, the work unit allocation and finished work collection infrastructure can't keep up. Hence the LTT video recently where they build a '100 TB' FaH server to help add to the system.
    I'm running a couple of i5 CPUs and a GTX 970, and the work rate is pretty stable for teh CPUs, but the GPU allocation is sparse. You can literally see where the GPU kicks in and gets work once or twice a day.
    @Shirty, I can see the frustration there, a double whammy.
    In other news, it'd be great to have PV solar panels at the moment to power the folding, as the weather's been so good recently...

IamSoulRider likes this.
  5. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

I've moved my main rig to folding currently, as my 2nd PC, which is normally what I use for folding and other stuff, has been lent to a friend after his machine died. Currently running Vega56 and 3900X in the main rig, my normal folding rig is a much more modest 2400G and RX480 when I get it back. I want to try and get as many points now while I have the power available, but this lack of work is definitely frustrating. I can guess it is even more so for those that have spent massive resources to dedicate to this.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2020
  6. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

Yeah, had a real quiet weekend, but all but one of my available slots are now working away. Who knows if there will be more waiting for them when they finish.

7. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Just cracked 2bn. The last 60m seemed to take forever and like everyone here, struggling to find wu's each day to keep the kit working. Frustrating but equally, great to see so many people join and re join the team.

Keep Folding!

Shirty and kim like this.
  8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seems we got hardly any work units over the weekend so I suspect the clients might need pausing then folding again. now to work out how to remote into that specific machine

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Came into the office to do some maintenance and it looks like we're at 9.3M PPD.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Nice. I've just hit 28M, which you'll get in 3 days!

11. MLyons

it's not quite perfect as getting WUs is super inconsistent. I have to go to the office or remote in every few days to pause and resume everything

12. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Give the folding@home babysitter a go... Someone on Linus created it, haven't had a chance to test.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1181338-foldinghome-babysitter/

Arboreal likes this.
  13. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

And into the top 200 I go! :D Looks likes there is a bit more activity at this level but still a lot of 'dead wood' to climb past ;)

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Shirty

Just nudged over the 3 billion mark. Quite chuffed really, my goal at the start of this endeavour was 2 billion!

Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  15. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Finally back into the top 100 after my extended absence... managing to just maintain top 20 producers, hopeful I can improve that when I get back to work and have access to some hardware again.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good stuff guys, great to see the team on the go.

I crept into the B-T top 500 the other day and am working on new CPU clients having bought some i5s this week. Just need to work out how to get them on the network and folding easily.

17. Shirty

I see Doc has just smashed through the 11 billion mark like it was nothing, massive congrats!

Had an internet outage overnight which stalled everything :wallbash: but back up again now :clap:

18. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Thanks Shirty.
    According to our EOC Team Summary page, my next key milestone after 10Bn is 20Bn, which it predicts I will meet in about …. 2.7yrs! Seems like there will be no trumpet blowing for me for a few years then :hehe:

19. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Had power cuts over the weekend and no wu's overnight. Has anyone tried 'babysitter'? As Shirty will not be gong on any summer holidays he won't need to sell any kit this year as he marches onwards to 4bn.

Well done Doc!

20. MLyons

I've been using the babysitter for a bit and I've got a much steadier flow of WUs. Also seems the PCMR team will overtake us in the next few days.