1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly What's a Dremel?

...tongue in cheek dude, tongue in cheek, I have no doubt whatsoever that it will post, sheesh!!!... :wallbash:

2. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

Sorry, i thought i was just helping, i meant it in a constructive way, not to be rude, i guess i was misunderstood but whatever. :grr: I would not disrespect you like that, i thought you just maybe wanted to know, didnt think it was too big of a post for the thread, but now i know. Hope you understand, because the intent of the post was not to point out you make errors, just constructive critisism. :duh:

3. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

I've been putting off registering for a long time, but I've just got to say it - THIS IS ONE AWESOME MOD! :rock:

Forget the politics; modmodmodmodmodmodmodmod!!!

4. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

From way back when I found this forum and since I found this thread, I have gone through 10 cases of industrial grade packs of napkins to clean up all the drool!
    Having meen an auto modder for many years I can attest to (what I can only assume G-gnome will agree to) the fact that nothing really shins like chrome. Mmmm I have lined many an engine with chrome and nothing else can compare! Excelent work G-gnome and I am glad to hear that you are getting on the tail end of the recovery road!

5. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

G-gnome plated his harddisc with chrome or he just polished it that much ?

Sorry didn't read every single post here :rolleyes:

6. Wicked Li'l Bender

He just removed the stickers and polished them a bit.

7. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

amazing stuff

8. ozGFX

ozGFX What's a Dremel?

hey gnome man i saw that you from aus and you spupplied some uk links to case modding online stores do you use only uk online stores or some au stores aswell for your gear. How much is plexi in aus and is it much cheap buying parts from the uk if thats were u get them?

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

It's usually cheaper to buy in Australia if you live here. However, there isn't nearly as much choice, and some things can still be cheaper buying from overseas, even with shipping. e.g. I looked at one site in AUS that sold DangerDen Maze4 GPU blocks for $105 where I got the same block for $90 incl freight, arriving within a week by FedEx, direct from DangerDen.com.

It pays to shop around (including globally) and compare the prices (including shipping) to what you'd pay locally. Remember - Google search is your friend! I usually find what I want, look for a local store, when I usually can't find it locally I get it from one of my contacts in the UK or US or wherever. I do buy a lot of bits and pieces from www.pccasegear.com in Melbourne - great service and reasonable prices. For components I get a lot from www.auspcmarket.com.au and www.cws.net.au (CWS is, hands-down, best prices for HDDs and certain other parts, I've found in AUS).

Fortunately a few companies are prepared to sponsor me now and help me out with my projects. www.matrixorbital.com and www.wizarddesigns.co.uk have donated components for Orac3 plus, in my next project, some of the larger manufacturers of CPUs, Mobos and GFX cards have already expressed their interest (more on that later).

As for asking how much plexi is in Australia...how long is a piece of string?

There are so many places and so many types of plexi you would be best to use the yellow pages looking for plastics fabricators or suppliers. Work out what thickness/colour/size you want and just ring a few and ask.:) A lot of the local ones won't have websites and often have great prices.

Hope that answers your questions.

Brundlefly - Thanks for the feedback matey :baby: To answer your question - I don't think Mrs Gnome will be letting me put it in the living room :sigh: I have a whole room for computers and modding so It'll end up there I'm sure. :)

10. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

G-nome !

A comment from Sweden . Wehaaa ! :clap:

I know that feeling of working on somthing and see how the cash in the wallet just waporising but its a good feeling when it comes back in forms of sponsorship of the next log !

11. Mrs Gnome

Mrs Gnome What's a Dremel?

I can guarantee it won't be in the living room :nono:

Hindaine likes this.
  12. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Quick question.

How do plan on keeping the incredibly thin edge of the bevel [ angled part, I think that's the word.. ] of the window border that goes around the pump's box together?

offtopic:
    -----
    Are MDK's Mum and Mrs Gnome really who they say they are?
    ___
    /offtopic

13. Wicked Li'l Bender

Hello Mrs Gnome,

We all want to thank you for allowing your husband to persue his quest for modded perfection.

How you gonna put the ORAC emblem on it??? will it be chromed material? will it be an illuminated badge floating mysterously in front of the stealthed mainboard???
    Oooh! the possibilities!

14. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

Hello Mrs Gnome :)
    Hey...how come mrs gnome does not know what a dremel is :eyebrow:
    :p
    just kidding...don t ban me :)

It almost hurts me saying this but "Location: Vying for G-gnomes att'n" doesn t sound too good :(

15. ozGFX

ozGFX What's a Dremel?

yeah it did thanks alot man thx for the links btw keep up the wikkid work i'm tring to think of a theme atm for a nice mod

16. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

lol. Yeah, that's Mrs G. She wanted to join up as she reads enough bit-tech. She would have prefered "What's a Computer?"(as a sort of joke) as she certainly does know what a Dremel is by now!

I think she is like most bit-staff wives and GFs when so much time is taken up with modding and working on the website (& answering thread questions ;) ) etc.

17. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

Oh god i liek can not wait till the project is compelted it's ****ign tooo cool to miss. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

18. jusD.au

jusD.au What's a Dremel?

Great work gnome m8 !

I feel your pain on the old I cant get broadband bullsh*t, im less than 15 k's from the centre of Mebourne and I cant get it either, it's almost enuff to start voting labor, maybe they can fix it. On seconds thoughts nothing is worth voting labor ova.

Neway I wanted to ask if you had plans or maybe had already changed the bolts on the top so that there are 4 matching bolts/nuts holding that box in, its only a minor thing but important from a symmetry/quest for perfection outlook.

We're all proud of you, keep waving the flag, if you get any more attention the PM might just jump on the bandwagon. :hehe:

19. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

Awesome

I know you've got to be sick of hearing this now, but like no doubt thousands of others I found you're log by accident, and have been hooked for months now. This is truly amazing :hehe:
    Your meticulous planning, detail and build quality are inspirational and I yearn to be able to make a box just 1% as good as this will be. Can't wait to see it finished...

PS. Was wondering what your going to do with it when you've finished? I mean, I know you've spent a lot but its got to be worth 10 times what it cost due to the amount of publicity its getting. {take the money and build us another ;) }

Massive respect to yourself and everyone at Bit-Tech (its now at the top of my bookmarks....)

20. wreth

wreth What's a Dremel?

i think ive already said, but anyway,
    nice case!

and yea, i cant get broadband where i am either,
    im right smack bang in the middle of two telephone exchanges so we cant get it because the signal isnt strong enough..
    Broadband is a bit of a new thing here in perth lol,
    only been out for a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.