1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting a plastic and metal case.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Uh-Oh, 30 Nov 2003.

1. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

I want to paint a plain beige case. The front bezel is made out of plastic. Will normal car paint (spray paint) work on plastic?

Also, will the paing on either the metal and plastic parts last long? Or is it gonna chip easily and I'll have an ugly case within weeks...?

Thanks

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

:search: and look for some guides on how to paint your case. Do it right and it will stay there and won't chip either. taking your time is the most important thing.

I used normal car paint on the plastic bezele fo my first case and it wokred fine. I suggest you try it first on a scrap piece or somewhere that won't show.

or else you can get vinyl dye that will colour the plastic just aswell but wont react.

3. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

Paint durability depends on three things…the type of paint you use, The surface you are going to spray and the prep job you do prior to painting.

4. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

I did search. I read the guide made by "Linear" (forgot the authors name). Great guide. But then I read about vynil paint... and while it seems to work easily, it doesn't have that mirror finish, and it canot be used inside. I am stuck inside, since there is snow outside and it's minus 5....

Soooo... I'll go for a car paint, and paint the case in my workspace...mmmmmh paint fumes.......

5. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I used car paint for the front and it came out with quite a nice shine.

I wouldn't try painting inside. The fumes are pretty nasty.

6. MilitantB0b

MilitantB0b What's a Dremel?

Painting inside is a no no unless you happen to have a fully ventalated workspace. I have an atic converted to a workroom with a wall sized, floor to ceiling exhaust fan. Turn that puppy on and you won't smell paint fumes, or anything else for that matter. Its kinda loud, but it will have to do until I get a wattercooled room. ;)

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

*tip* never try painting when its that cold or snowing... I tried and Paint runs and such, its just too cold. if you have a garage and a space heater you can do that.. or better take it to a professional painting place, if you do the prep work they'll paint it pretty cheap

8. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

I jstu paitned my case using a spraycan, doign the front with vinyl dye this weekend. I havn't polished it up yet tho, need to wait a month for the paint to 'harden' then ill polish the chick up and take some piccies.

9. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

Good point, same as painting if the weather is slightly wet. Another good tip is to warm the spray can before use.

10. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

Well, since it's fscking cold outside, and the weither is at it's worst lately... I have no choice but to paint inside...

If I use regular car paint (enamel or laquer) in a non ventilated place, are the fumes really bad? Cause I know vinyl dye is horrible, but is regular spray paint ok?

If not, I guess I'll go to a friend who has a garage, but that is pretty much impractical.

Also...

Laquer or Enamel... What is the difference, wich should I use? Pros and cons.. wich is best for good quality paint job with mirror finish?

Thanks

11. Bluebark

Paint always stinks…that’s the nature of the beast. You can get a shiny paint job with both acrylic and laq…but only acrylic will give you the “wet look”. You could spray the base in laq and the clear it in acrylic. That’s the way I do it! Laq is spayed on in many coats, dries fast and is easy to fix if you mess up. Enamel is sprayed on in two or three coats takes a long time to setup let alone dry and if you mess up is heel to deal with. I like to do what I call and diamond dust paint job. The last coat before the clear…turn up the air pressure and hold the gun up high and dust the paint on…just a little. Then clear…the metal flake jumps right out at ya.

12. MilitantB0b

13. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

crap. I have no idea if I wanna use enamel or lacquer anymore.

14. MilitantB0b

I'm not sure what enamle can do, but if lacquer can do this then I choose lacquer :)

15. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

16. Bluebark

Laq and acrl/poly enamels both have their strong and week points. While you can get a mirror flat finish with both types of paint laq lacks the “depth of color” that you can achieve with enamel. You can recover some of that “depth” by adding several coats of clear to the paint…but it’s just not the same. The bad thing about enamel is it takes a long time to cure unless you use something like IMRON that uses a hardener…I think Glasurit make an epoxy paint also but I my be wrong.

17. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh What's a Dremel?

Well, if I started working on a case tomorrow, using enamel paint, would it be ready for december the 21st or so?