1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Updating nVidia and Vulkan drivers on Debian 10 (Buster)

Discussion in 'Software' started by dark_avenger, 26 Apr 2020.

1. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Thanks in advance for your help and hope all are doing well in this crazy time.

I'm current running Debian 10 (Buster) with nVidia driver 418.74 and Vulkan 1.1.97 however in order to run the new DOOM: Eternal I require nVidia driver 440+ and Vulkan 1.2+ which are both available in the "Bullseye" repo.

However I'm not quite sure how to update them without updating the whole disto and breaking a bunch of things.
    I was hoping somebody might have some advice on the best way to go about it.

Cheers.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Best would be to remove your current driver using APT, reboot, install the Nvidia binary blob from their website (sh ./NVIDIA*), blacklist nouveau (echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf) and reboot again. Commands should be run under though sudo or as root.

Ironically I needed 418.74 for DXVK (last version to support my GPU) and had to do the same thing, albeit on Ubuntu (which does have 440).

dark_avenger likes this.
  3. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Will give that a shot and report back, thank you for the quick reply.

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Unfortunately that didn't work, used both apt remote and apt purge to remove the drivers however neither seemed to completely remove the driver and thus would not let me install the Nvidia blob.
    I think it also may have to do with me running an older kernel (4.16.0-6) which I currently have to run as the newer kernels break RAID arrays with MD and stops the computer booting so I may have to fix that first so I can boot the newer kernel.