1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

RIP Spa... maybe? If so I think that's now buh-bye for the season.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Alonso would be a massive surprise and a potential liability given his outbursts so expect Ferrari to give him a wide berth
    Sainz is possible, Ferrari might see him as a solid No2 driver.
    Riccardo whilst no doubt a great driver is probably too out there for Ferrari - too much fun and not corporate enough for them
    Hamilton I wouldn't rule out just because I reckon he fancies showing everyone he can win anywhere and ferrari would make him more widely liked than he is now. However he would be stupid to give up the best team on the grid to chase a dream.

4. javaman

Alonso would be useful as a tried and tested 1 year option. A good way to up the ante Vs leclerc.l plus he can prove useful development feedback. If he returned to McLaren a return to a much different Ferrari seems possible

Hamilton has ruled out the move however new regs, wolff still could leave, Merc pull out or Hamilton fancy seeing himself in red, I reckon it's not beyond impossible.

Riccardo has said he would move back to Red Bull. I reckon Renault hasn't worked out and with the new regs, they won't throw more at F1 unless something drastically changes. They're 4th best and not really interested in F1 anymore is the impression I get.
    I reckon he is most likely, a top driver who is looking for a better drive.

Same for Sainz, he proved himself at McLaren. While both he and Riccardo may never be Hamilton or Verstappen, they are certainly top their.

Norris and Russell and probably too risky and untested in driving development during rule changes.

In a pinch Hulkenberg or Perez mightn't be a bad 1 season drive and if they perform keep them around like Bottas

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Alonso has proven he can make near enough any car go quicker than it should, but would Ferrari want him back?
    Him or Sainz would work.

Riccardo as much as I want to see him back in a fast car he wouldn't fit the poker face Ferrari team.

Hamilton keeps saying he wont but I think most drivers would say yes to a Ferrari deal.

Russell needs some time in something thats competitive with more than just his team mate to actually see if he is as good as were lead to believe, Norris, solid but again not a Ferrari fit. Though having him an Riccardo on the same team would prove hilarious.

Hulk would be a perfect No2 he is a proper journeyman driver with lots of experience, I cant see RP wanting to loose Perez though.

I can see why Ferrari have done it, he costs a lot for not a lot of actual results. The one year deal with the pay cut is more a warning, if you stay, you have to actually perform, if not look elsewhere, but, who else would want him? top teams all pretty filled, an he wouldn't want to dive back into the mid field.

6. RedFlames

It won't be Alonso.

I mean is there an f1 bridge he hasn't nuked from orbit at this point?

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Given Ferrari's penchant for a lead driver, I wouldn't surprised to see them install Giovinazzi as no.2 to CLC

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't get the whole prestige of driving for Ferrari.

I mean they may have pedigree but now they are just annoying, haven't won a championship in ages and it seems too drivers go there to fade away.

I really hope Lewis isn't enticed by the 3 legged pony.

9. javaman

Same reason that people still desire to play for Manchester United despite them not being a champions league side in years.

Same reason people still want to drive for McLaren. The best have driven for them, walked the hallowed halls of the factory and dragged not necessarily the best car to championships.
    Ferrari have won before, their success comes and goes. When you say Ferrari you think of Schumacher, Lauda, Fangio,Alonso, Sutrees, Mansell ...some great drivers. When you think of great drivers how many have had Ferrari on their resume?

When you think of Hamilton he won for McLaren and Merc. Who wouldn't want to have a stab at having Ferrari on your resume? Or the reverse, when you think of Ferrari and all those names, who wouldn't want to be credited with making them No1 again. They will always be there or there abouts come brilliance or the FIA meddling

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Given more credit than they are due to me.

People always say it wouldn't be F1 if Ferrari left but to be honest I think it would be a big step forwards.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's one of those things that I think is half true. If Ferrari were to dump F1 it would be a huge blow to F1's public image, the shere number of red shirts and caps you see at every GP makes it clear that they are the most iconic racing team in the world. They've got the most wins, most titles and a major portion of the greatest drivers in history have worn red.

But, by the same token if Ferrari is not in Formula 1 it's a big hit to them. Ferrari builds racing cars, they phrase their marketing around the glamour and adrenaline of racing. If they aren't in F1 they lose that overnight. They make more money selling F1 merch than they do selling cars, if they leave Formula 1 you can bet F1 will cut them out of selling merch at races and their merch for previous drivers will tail off over time.

I think F1 needs to call Ferrari's bluff, the smaller teams need the budget cap more than Ferrari needs unlimited money to stay ahead. F1 needs more teams than Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull to win races. Realistically those three will keep sharing the lion's share of wins and titles, but three or four wins a year for everyone else would be a huge deal.

javaman likes this.
  12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

This just in from Formula1.com

Season looks set to start on July 5th and they seem to want to squeeze 15-18 races into this schedule.
    Some races will be "without fans". - Source

[​IMG]

13. javaman

Think they're a bit ambitious with a July start date but looking forward to hopefully some racing

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

With that "race density", the development race will not be much, though.

15. javaman

It would be interesting to see how pushing back next year's regs and using the same cars for another year affects things.
    Which teams will produce B spec cars and which will have put even more behind 2021. After all you can't keep designers from thinking about things during the lock down

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Oh, I solidly expect this season to be "it is what it is - no time to adjust" - i.e. if the car is fast in July, it will remain fast. If it's slow, focus on next year.
    Next year is a year where all the lower teams will try to haul back some points (since the financial side of F1 is dependent on multi-year results), whereas all the top teams are putting in all the work for next year this season, and will try to focus on 21 next year.

17. RedFlames

18. RedFlames

19. javaman

If he cant return to Red Bull or get a seat at Merc I cant see him staying in F1. No other team is likely to be an upgrade from Ferrari. He wants to win, not trundle round in the midfield or be second best making up numbers.

It makes me wonder if he has the fight to take on another hungry team mate...Riccardo and LeClerc have both been better in my eyes compared to him. Norris, Sainz, Ocon, Riccardo, Perez (Aston Takeover might make it possible) will give it all to embarrass him.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I don't see Seb staying in F1.
    As far as I can tell, RBR have indicated they don't want a competitor to their Wunderkind Max.
    Renault can't afford Seb
    Merc and Lewis seem committed to each other
    That leaves McLaren, who are restructuring, and the likes of Alfa Romeo... not seeing princess stompyfeet there.