1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Too much ! They're carbon.

[​IMG]

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy fitting them without a torque wrench either!

3. Vault-Tec

I crunched a lovely carbon seat post a couple of years back lol.

Yeah, not doing that again.... Just bought a torque wrench.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Pretty much yes. The hefty ones are slightly cheaper, but the smaller ones with finesse are expensive. I managed to get away with buying this set for £36.

[​IMG]

I spent £25 for a set of 1/2" drive allens.

The problem is I am quite a heavy dude. I am also woefully clumsy. So I have bent, snapped and twisted many things by going ham. Last year it was a £90 stem. I was in a hurry and I rounded one nut out and snapped another.

So at least that should be a good investment. Problem is if you crunch carbon? game over. You can not use it. Now thankfully that £50 seat post was for legal reasons only, and I never sit on it (the seat on that bike is all carbon also). It's just there as a hole filler.

This bike however? yeah I ride it a lot, and it's a sitter.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just be careful with these torque wrenches: although they're supposed to "click" at the required torque, it can be a bit hit and miss so you need to be careful because it won't stop you overtightening.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

At the vet after one hell of a cat fight.

Someone's getting neutered.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

By the vet... or you? :eek:

8. Vault-Tec

Yeah I fully intend to test it first. The gripper paste is very good tbh, so I know I don't need to go ham.

The bars on the bike right now are alu, and just as prone to damage, but I did OK with those without any torque wrench.

I don't put an enormous amount of strain on these bars. They are not "lean on" or "press down" bars. You literally just put your arms out, hold them and steer. I test rode the carbon cranks and they are amazing. They weigh about 1/5 of the steel crap they put on there.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I tend to tighten to 10% under the recommended torque level.

10. KayinBlack

By the vet.

His toe is able to be saved, and he has an appointment Wednesday to remove the offending testicles.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I guess that also assume your salary is massively inflated now so thats why its suddenly a huge chunk taken out! This is when I'm glad I'm a freelancer as I get to manage this, but atleast I see whats coming!

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yeah because of it, they think my salary is around £49K a year which believe me it's not, it's no where near that amount.

13. KayinBlack

Currently fuming.

Stepdaughter's biological father won't pay her medical bills. So now we owe $200 to pay her back bill. She needs it paid, and it will get paid posthaste. I don't mind paying for it, if he hadn't just decided to cut her off in favor of his new wife's kids. That's the part that bothers me. Paying for your kids' bills is part of parenting. I don't mind that. I do mind when the custody agreement is that he pays for her medical care and he's just decided that's not his kid anymore because his psycho wife doesn't like her.

Just so people know, these kids are awesome. I will never be mad about doing things for them. I will be mad for them when the people who should do things for them decide they're not worth it. They don't even have to listen to me, just grow up to be who they want to be.

14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Some 3 months since my mum passed - i'm still having a tough time grieving with it.
    The odd song will set me off, a passing thought.. and i swear i'm going crazy and i've seen a fox every day since.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't know about the fox, but it's been almost nine months since my mum passed away and I get those moments where I just want to cry way too often for my liking. Hell, it's been almost 17 years since I lost my dad and I still have the odd day when it's just hard to listen to a song, watch a movie, talk about a random topic. Just because it reminds me of my loss.

But, and that's something I can say for certain, the good days outnumber the bad ones. And with the years the ratio of good to bad days will greatly lean towards the good ones.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah coming up to my dad's, what would have been, birthday. I can usually write that week off.

It's been several years, it does get 'easier' but you'll always have those moments that trigger you but they get replaced more often with the good memories as time goes on.

17. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Glad you guys feel the same at times and I'm not just weird

18. KayinBlack

It took me years after losing my son before I was even marginally functional. It's not something to be ashamed of.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sounds perfectly, sadly, normal.

You have to allow yourself to be sad about it at times.

perplekks45 likes this.
  20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I feel that's the hardest part. Allowing yourself to feel bad. But once you accept it'll happen every now and then you'll be able to enjoy the good times a lot more (and feel less guilty about doing so).