1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Second hand gaming Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trent_Easton, 2 May 2020.

1. Trent_Easton

Trent_Easton What's a Dremel?

Hello experts!

For years I've been causally thinking of building a PC for gaming and the lockdown has had me revisiting a few games from years gone by (Xbox 360 era, PS2 and a little N64). Now that I've almost redecorated every room in the house (over the years) I've secured a free corner from the wife and have the go-ahead for a PC. I'm not planning on playing anything super recent and will probably be starting off around Skyrim and Fallout 4 and will probably be going back in time from there, but may go forward a bit as well. Was thinking of buying a second hand CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM. Maybe something like an early Ryzen CPU so I can upgrade if I get the bug for newer games. Mini-ITX would be great. No need for anything to look RGB flashy, was thinking of the Thermaltake code V1 for the case?

Budget: £600 or less. Happy to go higher if the value is there and the Budget is holding me back too much. Don't worry about peripherals in this, though if you have any screen recommendations that would be helpful! (Outside of the budget) Also any good value keyboard, mouse, headset for me to look in to.

Main uses of intended build: Gaming older stuff, also typical household browsing and photo storage

Parts required: Everything

Previous build information (list details of parts): My dad has loads of old computers with some newer replacement parts. Hard drives, larger cases, etc. available. PSU 's are probably not worth risking

Monitor resolution: Not picky, I'm used to Xbox 360 graphics... So 1080p?

Storage requirements: Will probably get a small SSD and a 1 TB Hard drive for some photos etc.

Will you be overclocking: yes, would like to give it a shot.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Wi-Fi would be useful. Mini-ITX

Been doing my research but starting to hit the wall, your help will be really useful regarding how good parts have reduced in price over the years and what now represents the best bang for my buck or if ebaying the 2017 Hardware Buyers guide is the way to go!

Thank you!

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Hello.

I think for the budget your looking at , if it were me personally i would use a Ryzen 5 , prob a 2600 or 3600 with a B450 motherboard if you can fit it into the budget and a GTX 1660 super , around a 450w to 500w PSU of decent brand.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Second hand is more difficult as the prices are less fixed. I would suggest grabbing a new SSD and PSU though, as you don't want those to be duff. Something like this will do you well. then you can drop in a Ryzen 3600 when money permits :)

4. Trent_Easton

Great, thanks guys. Any thoughts on monitors I should look at?

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What size and budget?

6. Trent_Easton

24 inch. £100ish? I haven't looked in to monitors yet to be honest.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Then its whatever takes your fance at 1080p. Aim for an IPS screen for the best experience :)

8. Trent_Easton

Great thanks, just noticed the motherboard recommended. What would be a good mini-ITX alternative?

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This one would be my suggestion, tohugh you're adding cost.