1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors How many MPGs do you get from your motor?(engine)

Discussion in 'General' started by herbs, 12 Aug 2003.

1. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

land rover rock

only propper ones not the freelanders or the discoverys or the bling bling range rover

they aint land rovers, defenders & the older land rovers rule

/me missed the old series 3 we had

2. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

Are we talking imperial gallons?

I get about 35mpg out of my 1990 1.1 fiesta on average, but the engine is nearing the end of its life :(

The best I've got was 45mpg, but I don't like driving gently :p

3. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

I think I cut my teeth in a Series IIA Lightweight Land-Rover. Dad got it ex-army just before I was born - it eventually fell apart when I was 13.

It was a flying machine - 2.25 petrol engine, weighed next to nothing, and our mechanic tweaked it somewhat. Oh, and a dual choke Weber carb to replace the pants Stromberg the engine was originally fitted with.

That thing used to do 95 on a good day, canvas top flying in the wind. :)

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

best was like 18.5mpg @ 80mph going almost cross country *3000miles* thankfully thatwas back when it was like $2.00/gal

worst was a trip accross the state with like 12mpg @ 95mph when its down to like $1.35/gal

my v8 may drink the gas but its nice to beable to put some lil ricer with a fart pipe in his place....

5. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

what kind of car Haddy? sounds like a nice american sports car. my first guess is a camaro. i hate the fart pipes to. i love the roar of a nice old 69 camaro. :D

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Truck... 2000 Chevy Silverado....nothing sounds like a chevy...

being 6'11" id have to take the front seat out of most sports cars in order to drive them....

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

My bro had the old 1500 cc if I remember correctly, it was slow at before 35mph but after that it was blooming fast.

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

nice! my dad has a 2002 Silverado 2500HD. it has a 8.1L V8 with Alison trasmision. its the extended cab with long box. the truck is huge! it takes 2 spots when i park it. the silverados got loads of power. my dad drag raced some ricer in a honda and we smoked it. oh yea i forgot to mention we were towing a boat while racing!

9. HellDiver

Heh, what a waste of oil. 8.1 V8? What on earth do you need an engine like that for?

A 2.5 will tow a boat of reasonable size with ease, and use a load less fuel doing it.

Most of our lorries only have 4-5 litre engines, and can haul 15 tonnes. 30 tonners are heading on to your 8 litre.

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

yes it burns oil but we do a lot of towing with it. it has so much power it hauls a 20 ton boat so easily you forget that your towing it.

11. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Well an American V-8 takes quite a bit of fuel... If I drive "economically" I can get 25-30MPG, but if I choose to 0-60MPH in 4sec I only get about ~18MPG- 15gal cost me $22 last fill-up.

L J

12. Colonel Sanders

How los is the gearing in that lorry? What is the HP/torque? What is the acceleration?

I don't think american pick-up motors are wasted.

OTOH, American Motors are shrinking... The new Duramax is something like 6.2? down from 7.3L, the ford gas "V-10"(who cares if the POS motor is a V-10? the Ford V-10 is probbably the lousiest pick-up motor made...) is only 6.8L, Dodge has a 8.0L V-10 gas and 5.9L diesel, but Chey remains big with the 8.1L gas and 6.6L diesel. Then GMs preformance motor, the LS1(if I'm not mistaken, the world's most advanced push rod engine) shrank to 5.65L down 5.7L- only reason they kept 5.65 was so they could round up to 5.7L.

L J

13. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

unless I'm mistaken there best performer is the LS8, which is found in the Corvette Z06. The LS1 is found in Camaro's, Firebirds, GTO's and the cheap Corvettes. i don't know the differences between them other than the LS8 makes more HP.

14. Colonel Sanders

The difference between the LS8 is that the LS8 based off of the LS1 design- the LS1 provides the technology used in the LS8, If I'm not mistaken, it's the same if not a very similar block, higher flow heads(similar design though), same manifold- same vavle train principal. The LS8 is a higher horse-power LS1 designed stictly for raceing- the LS1 is the street version.

*edit* Didn't notice that the LS8 should be LS6. ;)

L J

Last edited: 7 Dec 2003
  15. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

sorry for the late reply, yeah I have a Land Rover, series III lightweight. It's currently getting done-up so you might see a project log pop up sometime

16. HellDiver

I'd like to see that, Bradford.

17. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

landies rock

18. HellDiver

Depends on what sort of springs you use.

;)

19. overclocked_gobbo

overclocked_gobbo What's a Dremel?

Micra costs about £25 to fill up and does about 45-50 MPG.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I want to slap you silly. "Gas" here is about $6.50 per gallon :eeek:

Tags: