1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't have any monitors that accept a 15Khz sync signal, so I need something to take a 15Khz RGB video signal and turn it into something that a VGA monitor can understand :grin:.

The aim is to turn this into a 'universal' SCART-to-VGA adapter/upscaler: plug in any retro system using a 15Khz RGB SCART connection (note: the RGB part is important, composite-only-over-SCART won't work) and get 31Khz VGA out the other end. I want to carry on using a CRT monitor, otherwise I'd have got something that spits out a digital signal, like the OSSC, and used an LCD. Apparently the replacement firmware for the GBS-8200 can 'pass-through' the original source resolution, which will be just freaking ace if it works - I know for a fact that my CRT supports resolutions as low as 320x200 because I've used that video mode on this monitor in the dim and distant past. Native 240p RGB from a retro system on a CRT display :rock:

That is an excellent use of both your time and your money :thumb: :grin:.

MLyons and liratheal like this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Trinitron won't do 15kHz then? :(

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Doesn't seem to :(. I get an 'OUT OF RANGE' message when I try to use low or medium resolutions on my Atari STe via VGA... Bit of a kick in the nards though, that ST-to-VGA adapter was nearly £30 and it'll be kinda useless before long!

TBH I have other retro systems I'd want to use this monitor with, so I think it's better in the long run to build a dedicated universal box. RGB via SCART is extremely common for PAL consoles/systems, and those that don't have it (<glares at Nintendo>) can be modded to support it. If I can feed SCART RGB in at one end and get VGA out the other and use the Sony CRT then I'm still happy :grin:. TBH it doesn't even have to be RGB via SCART - as long as the system in question uses separate RGB signals and can generate a composite sync signal then I can make it work.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. jinq-sea

If you need any help with this sort of stuff, @Byron C, just shout. I do a lot of it. I modified my NTSC N64 to output PAL, too - it was dead easy if a bit small to solder.

Pretty much everything console-wise from the Genesis/Super Famicom will do 15kHz RGB so your adapter box will see you right. You can mod the NES, but it's a right PITA. Gamecube and Wii are all RGB capable out-of-the box. Anyway - shout if you want some help.

I'm not that surprised the Trinitron won't do 15kHz - most monitors of that vintage don't (and won't do 24kHz either) - you'd need a tri-sync display like wot you might use with a Sharp X68000 to get down that low. Or an arcade tri-sync, which is what I use. To be honest, I just do most things via my PVM at 15kHz, but I would very much like a scandoubler for my A1200. Whilst it's great at 15kHz I would like a bit more resolution without the flicker...

Byron C likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Willdo, ta :thumb:.

PVM - well jel :grin:. I ended up tossing away the BeoVision CRT TV I had; it had a dead flyback transformer and I couldn't find any replacements or a local company willing to repair it. The thing was massive anyway, it took up loads of room - the 210ES at least fits on my desk!

The only systems I have right now are Atari STe, MegaDrive, Wii, PlayStation, and PS2 - all SCART-RGB capable. I am toying with the idea of getting an Amiga of some description - I'd like a 1200 ideally so I can get access to AGA graphics and better upgrade options, but they're getting a bit expensive these days. In any case, all classic Amigas can do RGB with csync via the monitor port.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Help a friend a few years back replace the burnout CGA tube in an arcade with an LCD using that or a very similar board. Worked great but the OSD was in Chinese and we weren't able to make any adjustments.

7. jinq-sea

The PVM was a good get - it was cleared out from a hospital. I'm scared of the day the flyback dies. I've had it a good long while now - PVMs and BVMs have become silly money though sadly. I actually snagged an ex-broadcast 9" BVM fairly recently too direct from a broadcast company clearout, and it's complete in the flight case. It's destined for my bench as an arcade PCB repair monitor :) It also does YPbBr which is nice.

Anyway, I digress. Those Gonbes scalers are pretty decent, and lots of folk I know use them to get 15kHz on an RGB monitor for testing etc. I'm curious about the replacement controller - I'll have a nose.

Also, a 1200 is a winner. Mine has recently had an CF upgrade, AmigaOS 3.1.4, and I found my 68030 accelerator too. Awesome. It's overkill for Lemmings, but it's awesome for Worms Director's Cut! :)

I'm allergic to LCDs in classic arcade cabs ;)

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

An IPS game boy colour. Link? Think I have a new mod on my hands

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

10. jinq-sea

The McWill screens they carry are top notch. There's an Atari Lynx one now, too.

Byron C likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This little mod entirely replaces the on-board MCU with an external microcontroller running alternate firmware: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/. Basically... jumper the 're-flash' pins closed on the GBS-8200 and hook up a cheap Wemos D1 or NodeMCU ESP8266 microcontroller board to the serial pins. Lots

They're getting very expensive these days...! I might be able to get away with an A500 in need of repair for around £100, but you can expect to pay anywhere between £200 and £500 for an A1200 in any condition...

Last edited: 6 May 2020
  12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Since DHL screwed up and my chairs got stuck in Brussels... Waiting for your review.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I would have gone for a mcwill - I have a mcwill usb doodad ordered, but to get one to Germany was almost as much as the unit itself from most places. That said, I did see a few video reviews of the ips screens and oh my. Tetris looked the bomb.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Bloody hell. Almost tempting to sell mine at those sort of mad prices.

15. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

His wife wasn't happy with the arcade purchase, he wasn't allowed to spend much to fix the unit and he happened to have a spare LCD that was the right size. Appeased the wife as the unplayable machine became functional.

@Byron C, in post 4786273 your third quote is assigned to me but should be assigned to jinq-sea.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Copypaste cockup :thumb:

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Getting the home office a bit more office like, replacing my Oak dining room chair with a proper office chair and some lockable storage to stop small children getting things they're not allowed to!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Vault-Tec, LennyRhys and Arboreal like this.
  18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Collecting parts for my first ever mod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yaka, The_Crapman, IanW and 3 others like this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nice! What you doing to it?

20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Deskmini A300, something between 1050 and 1650 super (75W to 100W) on an m.2 to pcie riser, and if I can cram it in there, a laptop BD-ROM on top.

xaser04 likes this.