1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Accidentally deleted all the pictures from 2 days of shooting with the Navy in Goa. And they were AMAZING days with great weather, light, storms, the works. I am absolutely gutted.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Find a way to do it, you'll only regret it later if you don't.

IanW likes this.
  3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Filing cabinet turned up yesterday and its brown.... decided to put it together rather than spend more money to have it sent back. The instructions were absolutely worth nothing so it took me about three times as long to construct than you'd expect, countersunk screw heads with no countersunk brackets therefore everything is clunky not flush. My hand is killing me having to put my whole bodyweight behind it to get the screw to bite rather than strip. Three screws broke in half during the whole process. The instructions missed out pivotal parts of how the locking mechanism worked so had to do trial and error to get it working. Finally got it together, put it under the desk, looked awful non matching a black desk. By the time I finished it I had no time for a shower nor eat before picking up my partner work.

Then the missus came home and said it looked like **** and can't it live under the stairs....

Fantastic.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I did an access course as a mature student, it was a pain, but really helped as I had been out of education for so long and a degree is massively different to college! I'd recomend doing the access course then a degree :)

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Ordered monitor without looking at shipping. Paid £7.60 to have it estimated on the 18th when I could have paid £7.60 to have it this Monday. Balls.....

Although my chair was estimated today and infant came yesterday after ordering it on Thursday so might be a bit earlier

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Looks like online shopping is really expanding since I last used it :jawdrop:

IanW and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh indeed.

I ordered 2kg of hope and 30 litres of memories last week.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Repeat after me, "I must remember to do regular back-ups." Like I do, honest...:worried:

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Veeam agent for Windows. Schedule and forget!

10. stonedsurd

I have something like 4TB of data, the thought of (re-)organising it all and backing it up makes me break into a cold sweat.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

You can organise later. Buy the cheapest 4tb (or a little bit bigger for some headroom) drive you can find and make a copy. Learn from a small loss: imagine losing a whole drive...
    Also, I suppose you've already considered photo/data recovery software(?)

Last edited: 9 May 2020
  12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Grab or build a cheap NAS, get some halfway reliable drives, set up a batch script or get a tool (i.e. RoboCopy in Windows) to regularly do incremental backups, EZ.

Back on topic: writing a post on Bit-Tech on an Android device with Chrome using the gliding type way. It autocorrects (after already starting the next sentence) like a mentally challenged monkey without hands. When you try to correct/overwrite the wrong words it randomly moves your cursor, overwriting random parts of your text. Like, middle of a random word to two letters from the end of of another word, maybe five words down the line. Every second Chrome update they'll fix it, every other update they'll break it again. :wallbash:

13. stonedsurd

yep. didn't work. overwritten.
    yep, on order, waiting for it to arrive. deliveries are buggered because of the rona

IanW, perplekks45 and wolfticket like this.
  14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If you're a windaz or Linux user I cannot recommend the cream agent highly enough. The free version does scheduling so you can, if you want, set it and forget it. I've been running it for a long while on my pc, the girlfriends surface, and my work laptop. You can backup to usb, and/or network share.

15. perplekks45

Mother's Day. I never liked these kind of "honour-thou-elders" days, but it's the first one without my mum. It'll be tough listening to my fiancé calling her mum and gran (no visits, obviously).

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Hang in there mate, some days are tricky. I know my dad's birthday and the anniversary of his death are not great for me.

May be as it's the first one you could busy yourself while she speaks to them?

perplekks45 likes this.
  17. perplekks45

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. She's in the living room on the phone, I'm on my PC, watching stuff on YouTube and after that gaming for a bit. I just keep thinking back to those last few days and all the plans we made.

August will be incredibly tough, the anniversary of her death on the 6th, her birthday on the 18th. Luckily I already got past my father's birthday in April, just the 17th anniversary of his death in June coming up on that side. And let's not think about Christmas...

Some days are just sh*t. But at least I already have enough experience to know it'll be better again tomorrow.

18. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

This probably wont go down well, but I don't care, I just need to get it off my chest.

What's pissing me off right now is knowing I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Due to my bosses furloughing most of the office staff, I'm not only having to do my job, but cover for 3 others as well. I'm working stupid hours to keep up and haven't had a day off since this all started (the company I work for furloughed the staff the day after it was announced they could) apart from bank holiday friday and weekends (although I have worked part of most weekends to try and catch up).
    I'm seeing comments in social media from the staff I am covering for saying how much they are enjoying the time off in the great weather we have been having and it's getting to me.
    I know they haven't asked for this and I'm lucky to still have a job, but right now I'm not feeling lucky, just depressed. Not only can I not see me being able to take any time off soon, when the staff eventually come back, they will be entitled to as much holiday as I am and I will end up covering for them again - at least one at a time.

I know many of you will think I'm being selfish for complaining at still having a job, but what I'm having to do now is far more than my job. I'm not the only one still working in my company in this situation, we are fighting to keep the company going and hopefully we will manage it. It's just not fair that the staff not currently at work will be able to take as much holiday as me once it's all over.

I'll cope with the extra work for now (I'm not paid for extra hours, I don't get time in lieu and I have no stake in the company I work for), but I want some time off and I can't take any. If we get through this as a company, knowing I will have to cover for the staff again when they can take the same amount of holidays as me sucks.
    Myself and the others still working are doing all we can to make sure there is a job for everyone to come back to; we honestly want this and it's why we are doing it, we are getting nothing extra at all from working the hours we do; we just want the company to keep going.

Sorry for the rant and sorry if you think I'm selfish; the threads about "what's ruining your life right now" and staff accruing holidays when furloughed isn't right.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

+1
    If'n I didn't have happy pills and booze I think I might be a little P'ed off too.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think that's a perfectly fair thing to be upset about. While my default answer to most things is 'think what people went through during WWII', there's also the simple 'what's right is right'.

I would suggest this: after a week or two, go speak to your manager about having some time off 'in lieu', raising the points you mentioned I'm guessing that since your the company you worked for immediately put people on furlough, it's probably a large one (aerospace or the like). I've heard that the large companies have also made people take holiday time during furlough to reduce the impact when people come back to work.

The only bit of comfort I can think of offering right now is that remember your furloughed colleagues are taking a 20% pay cut at best (significantly more if they're very well paid), so there's that to consider.

One final thing: the fact you haven't been furloughed is actually a good thing (as was pointed out to me by my father during a chat); it means you're seen as one of the more valuable employees!