1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other P6T 1366 Vs 1155 Dell optiplex

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cookie! nom nom, 11 May 2020.

1. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

Hi guys

I was given a old works pc last week, It has a 965, 6GB, 2x 320gb rapters, 650w psu. My current pc is a Dell optiplex 7010, originally I was planning to upgrade it from a 2400 to a 3770 and a upgrade my gt1030 to a 1650.

I mainly use my computer for video editing and a small amount of cheap gaming ( mostly old bargin games)

What would be the better computer to keep? I assume the 1366 good upgrade would be a x5660 for £12? And then fit something like a 7970 as I don't really play that demanding games (most demanding is Project cars 2)

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Why would the GPU upgrade change?

Which games currently don't perform? No point upgrading gpu if the games already do fine.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The i7 3770 and Xeon X5660 are more or less the same, the Xeon has a bit more in multithreaded applications. So go for whichever costs less.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There are 5670s on Ebay for £20. I would get one of those as they OC well.

Multi threaded it will beat the 3770. Especially a locked 3770. TBH? the 56xx Xeons at 4ghz or above handily beat the 4790k with the 4790k overclocked in "heavy" tasks. What I mean by heavy was a phrase used years ago. Now? 6 cores are quite low.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nowadays I wouldn't advise "upgrading" to an X58 system - yes you can get really cheap CPUs for them, but I've been there / done that and it's all horses for courses unless you really need the extra four threads. Most six-core 1366 cpus will not let you get to 4.5GHz and they'll throw out a lot of heat too.

You could probably get a fair bit for the P6T combo if you ebay it, which gives you some wonga to put into newer tech for your existing system.

Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Another thing is that X58 CPUs don't support newer instructions (ie AVX, performance hit will vary depending on workload) and have somewhat broken VTd/VTx (had to disable it completely for W10 17xx+ to boot, in fact, I wouldn't recommend running windows on x58 at all). Also specter/meltdown mitigations hit older CPUs more, so selling what you can and getting cheap-ish/second-hand zen1+/2 build might be a better option.

7. cookie! nom nom

Thanks for that guys. So manufacturer of the previous build had used hot snot on all the connections. It all came off with no damage apart from the guide clip for CPU fan. What sort of price range would you advise looking for? Also would it be better to sell as a bundle?

8. Vault-Tec

Just stick the bundle on Fleabay and let them have at it.

9. cookie! nom nom

Every time I do that I get stuffed over :( my luck never seems to be on my side on that site. But I will give it a try.

Thanks vault

Vault-Tec and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Prices have dropped recently, since most people want X79 and X99 for cheap Xeon fun now (well, it was cheap until AMD massively cut their prices on R1000 and R2000.

There's no point splitting the rest IMO as it has virtually no value. Actually I take that back, the 965 is apparently an Extreme Edition and sells for about £40. More than any of the Xeons. There are quite a few though... Then you start ending up stuck with bits.

I would just list it together as a running bundle. It's more attractive that way (IMO) for someone looking to spend a certain price and not a penny more. It does depend a bit on luck also, and finding at least two people looking for the same thing. The last bundle I saw sold on OCUK FS forum got about £50. Board, RAM and a 930. You're sure to get a good chunk more than that on Ebay.

11. cookie! nom nom

Ok thanks vault and thanks everyone else for the help.

One last question, sell as a motherboard bundle or the works. I assume the velociraptor WD drives are worth nothing same for case and the corsair psu?

Again thanks for all the help :)

12. Vault-Tec

I would say so yeah. I still have a 600gb VR but the last time I looked they weren't worth much. SSDs have all but killed them off.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I love the sound of VR's though!

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Mine isn't that bad tbh. It's the later one with the 2.5" drive inside the big old heat sink. It's annoying when it spins up on wakeup though lol.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just love the sound of those high speed motors whirring up! Although not something I'd want to live with every day!

16. Vault-Tec

It's not so bad with the side panel on. Problem is right now I am being about as lazy as I can and one is off.

[​IMG]

Because I robbed the U.2 for my system at home and never bothered replacing the panel :D

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I totally forgot the OG Raptor had a window in the top! I remember one of my friends got one and we nerded out so hard!

18. Vault-Tec

That was gen 2 IIRC. Original was 36? and 74? gb. Something odd like that. They were LOUD. Like, someone firing a machine gun loud lol. The second gen came in clear. I never had the bottle to try modding one :D

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This was a decade or so ago, so actually fairly ok for space, if on the low side. 360GB drives where common!

20. Vault-Tec

That was quite high back then. 2003 they debuted. My ex wife's cousin had one for his boot drive.

In short? Pete here is older than he thinks he is :D