1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Aye... Covid got him, a cpl. weeks ago.

Apologies for the relatively insensitive way I expressed that...

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Not ruining mine, directly, but my step-daughter's... so mine by association (see below).

She wants to upgrade her PC, but has no 'know how' to be able do so & limited dexterity; I have the know how, but social distancing says I can't visit her to do any upgrading.
    What she has is OK... it works, but it's slow (relatively). 8GB more RAM (her 8 out, 16 in) & a SSD would get the machine up to date; this she can afford but...
    She's even looked at buying a new PC/tower but what she can afford has worse core spec. than she already has.
    She can't do without it as her children use it, too for school work (Covid, at home stuff).

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I suspect the risk in this would out way the reward. Its probably better to cope with a slightly sluggish machine than contract COVID so she might be better off waiting it out

However if a necessary item, Couldn't you collect from a safe distance (doorstep/end of front garden), Wipe the case down with antibacterial wipes within reason (plus your hands) take away, do the job in your own home. Return placing it on her doorstep tell her to do the same before bringing it in the house?

My dad is an domestic appliance engineer and had to repair my brothers oven (4 kids, no money to replace) he's still working and doing these jobs on the daily so if he didn't go someone else would have.

He told them to all leave the house for an hour with everyone, he'd only work in the kitchen and when they returned clean down the oven and surrounding areas just incase, he also did the same when he entered. Its not ideal but its that or using a microwave/hob for the foreseeable

Guest-44638 likes this.
  4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

All already discussed/factored in... neither of us having private transport doesn't help, either.
    Soldiering on it'll have to be. :)

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Business management: "That 13 week forecast you provide, please roll out to the end of the financial year"
    Me: Er, what?
    Business management: "Oh and we need it by tomorrow morning"
    Me: ER WHAT?!
    Also me: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Oh and we get called out for not sorting out some of the month end accounting postings....

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

"I can look into extending the forecast but regardless it's not possible by tomorrow morning sorry"

Gives you some time to think of an appropriate reason for not extending the 13 week forecast as well :)

7. DeadP1xels

Few minor annoyances this evening, nothing ground breaking but leaves me shopping for some bits, monitor turned up

Totally didn't consider a display port cable for the MacBook.... so now going to need to buy a USB C to display port cable to get 3440x1440

Monitor arm isn't strong enough to hold it so having to use the stock stand, desk is too thick to buy any old monitor arm without drilling through it which id rather avoid.

Fortunately back on my PC after a good long while, the MacBook has been occupying the monitors and peripherals since working from home more often. Down side is the PC Is slooooooooow…. just so bloated. Needs a fresh install of Windows I think...

Other than its badass.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Unfortunately in many cases the response to that is simply, "I don't care, make it happen, I need it".

9. GeorgeStorm

I mean, tough luck for them surely, if you're not confident enough to stand up on your own (depending how high up they are etc) cc whoever is appropriate in to get the weight if you need.
    Start agreeing to ridiculous demands and that becomes the norm, and you lose the chance to oppose them later on.

But I've never worked in a toxic environment so iunno.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I hope you never do. It's horrible and affects you in so many ways. So important to have a good working life.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Wish it was that simple but alas.

Call has come from the top (CFO) and in typical corporate fashion if you push back you are seen as the blocker..

12. GeorgeStorm

Need to get a better boss/however many levels up to have your back surely, unless you're the boss in which case I'll stand by my first point, but I guess I've don't even know what a 'blocker' is but doesn't sound that scary to me :D

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And that's why I decided a few years ago to stop worrying about that exact problem. So what? I speak my mind, I don't hide behind management speak, I do piss off people on all levels if I have to. The goal is NOT to further my career but to do the best effort I can at both being good at my job and trying to improve things within and for the company.

If I have to step on toes for that, so be it.

Pete J, Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I need a break, it's a great boost to my career that i'm an "essentail worker" but it'd be nice to have the time I've got booked off but needed in and even if I was off there's no one to cover the work I'm covering.

Missing people, feeling sorry for myself.

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm glad I'm still working and that my job appears secure at the moment, but the company I work seem to have lost the plot. Everyone has taken a 20% pay cut and a number of staff are on furlough - all pretty standard currently - but they keep hiring new people, including contractors, and giving people promotions.
    It's incredibly frustrating for those of us still working and picking up the slack, but it could be worse.

16. DeadP1xels

Lately the terrible twos have well and truly kicked in, on top of that he’s got partial hearing in one ear and consequentially now a little bit behind in his speech development. Coupled with that working from home occasionally, wanting to spend as much time improving his speech (it has got better) but having to cope alone with those tantrums and juggle work is exhausting. To top it off he’s now bumped his eye and cut himself

I know I’m not alone in this and there’s millions feeling the exact same pressures but I can’t help but feel like I’m failing at this whole adulting malarkey.

Probably doesn’t help I was up at 4am lying on his bedroom floor because he had an unsettled sleep...

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

#5466 of why I don't want children :p

perplekks45, IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I would be worried if you didn't - very natural to think!

During the last few months, it's dawned on me that nobody else knows what they're doing either, and just like me, they're making it up as they go along.

I think everything literally boils down to this: be kind to others and don't be a d!ck.

Vault-Tec, Fingers66, IanW and 2 others like this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You forgot 'try to have fun'

adidan, Vault-Tec, Arboreal and 4 others like this.
  20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think you also need to remember to be kind to yourself too. @DeadP1xels , this means cutting yourself some slack - you're obviously juggling a lot of things at the moment, so take a second to acknowledge that you're doing your level best and doing it well.

adidan, Vault-Tec, Arboreal and 6 others like this.