1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Most of the stuff I want to watch with the kids is on Prime or Netflix, but some of the rental prices for iconic 80s childrens' movies are utterly ridiculous, and some of them you can't even rent and have to buy outright. I stumped up £2.50 for The Land Before Time a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not paying £9 to effectively rent Honey, I Shrunk The Kids. "Yar har fiddle dee dee..."

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Finished up the Marvel stuff last night on Disney+ (other than the new spiderman films).
    Not going to give individual ratings but enjoyed them, watched them roughly in order (hadn't seen past black panther)

Definitely some issues with 'this is the mega baddie' next film 'this is also a mega baddie with no real idea if one is worse than the other' but easy to just chill and watch :)

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Onward 8/10 surprisingly decent pixar movie, decent weekeend at bernies type film decent end and the manticore steals the show.

d_stilgar and goldstar0011 like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Iceman, on Amazon. I thought it was another documentary until I looked closer.

Good film. easy 7/10, even though after watching several docus about him it seems awfully "off" of what he says.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 9/10 although i really liked the first series which devianted greatly from the books after hughes death this easily trumphs it. not as darker ending but a very good ending it is and story wise the conculusion is not as rushed as the first series.

F1: Drive to Survive Season 2 7/10 it gives use enough but you can tell they had to leave alot of they recorded out that might really upset some teams and drivers. gasly demotion, the choas at williams the impact of huberts death is shown and handled quite well, a nice fix for those missing F1 atm.

Bad Boys for Life 8/10 just as dumb and enjoyable as the first with none of the bloat from the sequel and we discover why mike lowry dresses like a drug dealer. and martin lawrence is back on form in this one.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Extraction 7/10 similar to netflix other action movies like the night comes for us and the revenger but with more spit polish less martial art and lots of gun fu. and enjoyable watch

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Watched it the other night and I'd agree, just a fairly enjoyable mindless action fest.
    Haven't seen The Night Comes For Us, but really enjoy the Raid 1/2, and so have been meaning to get around to it.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Anna.

Dross. Absolute dross.

Edit: Ok so I wasn't quite fair, I turned it off about 45 minutes from the end. I just watched the last part - predictable 'twists', unconvincing acting and ultimately an empty vessel of a film.

Seriously, don't waste your time it's so bad and unoriginal it makes me angry.

Last edited: 10 May 2020
  9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Annihilation.

It's good. Strangely, no reviewers making any comparisons to Solaris, which it resembles thematically.

It has elements of sci-fi that lean into fantastical and nonsensical mystery, surreal visual effects (done really well) and horror and suspense elements without any pomp, hysteria or jump scares. The emotional tug of the whole film is fascination and scientific curiosity.

It's similar to Garland's earlier film Sunshine, but significantly better, I thought. Sunshine hasn't aged very well and has some really terrible cinematography, SFX and artistic choices.

LennyRhys, Yaka and Byron C like this.
  10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

The Gentleman 7/10 pretty slick/funny film colin farrells coach and his mma crew steals the show

Mortal Kombat legends: Scorpions Revenge 8/10 was not expecting much from this but it does good job much better than the naff live action films and tv series. not one for the kids

11. adidan

Mortal Engines - exasparated meh

Pretty effects, daft premise with some rehashed and overused 'shocking' (not shocking) and predictable plot 'twists' (not twisty).

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The books are much, much, better.

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

Yeah, that often tends to be the case

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I mean, it wasn't a totally unfaithful recreation from what I remember, but.. For the budget and the actors involved I think the film could have been better.

IanW likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yep. Unlike a film, the imagination has an unlimited special effects budget

liratheal and Arboreal like this.
  16. adidan

^ This

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Fantasy Island
    Umm, yeah.. I managed to sit through it all so that's something, right?
    It was ****ing dreadful

A Quiet Place
    I enjoyed this, despite a couple of wtf moments and a couple of massive plot holes.
    The world is being ravaged by creatures that hunt by sound, and nobody thought to investigate that as a possible weakness?

18. adidan

The Machinist - screwifx pickup/10

Wasn't really expecting much as i'm not really a fan of Christian Bale but maybe it was because of that I actually quite enjoyed it.

19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Men in Black - International: 5/10
    Not as funny as the Smith/Jones films; more like a 'cash-in from Ragnarok fame' vehicle for Hemsworth & Thompson.

Spiderman - Far From Home: 7/10
    Gyllenhal's character was too convoluted to be credible.

20. djlegend

djlegend What's a Dremel?

I like the Film Shazam.