1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Project ALIENBASE - Alienware Aurora R4 Case ATX mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 4LIEN, 10 May 2020.

1. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Thanks, keep follow to see progress!:thumb:

First i use hot glue to set in position, and after i use milliput epoxy putty, very strong and hard.

2. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Continue to show the front face restyling ....

I have prepared some RGB LED strips and plexiglas bars
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Glued all the LEDs and the bars
    5.jpg 7.jpg

And then put in place (in the picture they are just temporary because need to paint all before)
    Also, to have a perfect light distribution in the front, on the back of these bars i put a white plastic sheet.(actually not in the picture)
    8.jpg
    And thats it! The restyling is done, as you can see, i take inspiration from the newer Alienware Area 51 (black tape is only to show better the result)
    9.jpg 10.jpg

Now i have to wait to finish other parts and then i can paint all.

lowfat and MADPC like this.
  3. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

And as promise, i will show now the cutting of the side panel window
    I've done this work in two part, so this is now the first, and in the future i will show the second part.

The side panel have full metal structure and ABS plastic cover
    1.jpg
    I take a line of where to cut
    2.jpg 3.jpg

This is the most easy and common cutting line, i saw also other modders making all the same, and i have to say its a "forced cut" because in that place there is a LED light bar (the white stick in the picture below).
    BUT, with this forced cut, i will have a 6 CM big "wall" that cover a lot the inside.
    SO, i take the shape line of the plastic cover with a cardboard and then cutted all the excess.

4.jpg
    So now i have a thin 3 CM separation, that is cleaner and smoother to see

5.jpg
    This modification, require to repositioning the LED bar, and also have to shape it more thin

6.jpg
    And a preview of the final look, need to be refinished....you will see in the second part.

7.jpg

Last edited: 14 May 2020
    MADPC and Jean R built like this.
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

bold :jawdrop: (I mean the cutting) :dremel:... and great job as of now :rock:

ciaognep and 4LIEN like this.
  5. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Good job :dremel::thumb: milliput one of the best epoxy putty :grin:

ciaognep and 4LIEN like this.
  6. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Thanks guys! The window cut was made all by hand with Dremel.

Today i will show you another work, as i said in the first post, i will recover form my actual PC the power supply, it's an old and glorious Tagan Piperock 80+ 800W, very heavy build and finest quality components.
    I really love it for his special look with aviator connectors and LED ring. It's in very good conditions and work perfectly, so i want to keep it and i will make a restyling.

2.jpg
    First thing to do is replace the old and loud fan with a modern and silent one, so i started to disassembly....

5.jpg
    The other mod is to move the main harness to the side, to have the front clean and free. I know it' not best looking but that parts will be covered.

6.jpg
    And after confrontation of a lot of fans specs, i decided to buy the Cryorig XF140.
    The fan is 140 mm but with 120 mm holes, so it fit very well.
    Also i have installed a new raised grill, to avoid the turbulence noise.

7.jpg 8.jpg

And finally, i've removed all the LED rings and replaced the LEDs chip with more powerful 3528 and all green.

10.jpg 11.jpg

And made some new plexiglass rings with laser cut, and then covered with aluminium tape to obtain maximum light diffusion.

12.jpg
    Wrapped all in matte black, and covered the old harness hole (i need to place a cover to finish better the surface)

13.jpg
    And this is the final result once ON!

15.jpg

Last edited: 17 May 2020
    ciaognep, Sam__, MADPC and 2 others like this.
  7. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

I don't want any more the label, but i know exactly where to connect graphics card (the old green and red rings), also you can't go wrong because PCI-E connector have 6 PIN, other have 5 PIN.
    ESP cable is in the main harness.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

9. Toru

Toru Minimodder

Wow! I love this case! also good job bro!

4LIEN likes this.
  10. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Wow what PSU is this??? :jawdrop:
    Good job :rock:

11. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Wow, i cant believe that other have do the same mod! it's a very rare PSU! Do you have more pictures?

Thanks!

Resurrecting PSU from old glories! :grin: Tagan company make them from 2006 to 2010 i think, but there aren't a lot of information online. These PSU was very tough with industrial grade components and also very expansive, mine was over 150€ in 2010.

" Tagan Technology Co. was founded by a group of professional technical people living in different countries –Germany, Japan and USA. Nowadays Tagan stands for a brand of Maxpoint Administration.
    MaxPoint is a leading and international operating producer and importer of innovative IT-peripherals with its headquarters in Ahrensburg near Hamburg (Germany). "

12. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

A masterpiece of good old times very interesting :thumb:

13. kim

kim hardware addict

Not much and unfortunately kinda blurry, so I wont pollute your thread with it, I didn't pay attention to pictures at this time, so only crappy phone's pics, but I'll try to shot some new ones and post you the links if you care, ok... BTW, I have 2 same ones, I bought another one second-hand, to grab the 4 blue circles :grin: but they still both work great :thumb:, even oldies :grin:
    good luck for the following, I really like your modding :clap:

14. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

I'm looking for this case from a long time I think is perfect for a mod about this..[​IMG]

15. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Thx, ok i understand...it's also rare to found used, i just watched on ebay and found some 600W from Germany...

Wow really extreme in that way! Will be interesting and really big if you do it! You can find some Alienware case on ebay, but are priced over 150!

MADPC likes this.
  16. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Love the PSU plugs!

17. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Another restyling done was of the upper I/O panel.
    I really like this panel because have a sliding mechanism, so the I/O ports can be hided.

1-prima.jpg

This was the old power ON button, i don't like it, so i've removed it with putty.

1.jpg

Desoldered the power ON button....
    2.jpg

New position for the Power button
    3.jpg

Maked a support for the button
    4.jpg

And installed in position
    5.jpg

So now finally i can start the computer from the Alien head! (my little dream)
    Previously, the head was for DVD sliding window, obviously removed!
    6.jpg

And in the sliding upper I/O panel, i've installed a micro switch and two 3 mm LEDs, so when i open it i have the light to see in the dark where ports are!
    LED USB (1).jpg

LED USB (2).jpg
    LEDUSB.jpg

Vault-Tec, MADPC, ivory2k19 and 2 others like this.
  18. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

good job..:dremel:

4LIEN likes this.
  19. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Updates today ?

4LIEN likes this.
  20. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Yes i have others little work to show, but that works was done in the past months....
    So now i post it!

All the interior of the case will be covered with some cover made of plexiglass and PVC forex. I do that because i don't want to see nude metal or other ugly parts, also rivets, screws (or at least only few), etc...
    p.s. of course the metal case will be painted all matte black!

So, on the right of the main board i made a raised cover, under it i can put all the wires, and also under the other cover in the bottom right of the case.
    2.jpg
    Also in the top i made a cover

7.jpg

And other one on the right

9.jpg

Here you can see other covers, the black one is recycled from old hdd 3.5" box.
    Most of the covers are fixed to the case with magnets!

11.jpg

Covers in place

14.jpg

Other work that was done, is the adaptation of the rear case shield and some mods.
    First, in the hole with blue line i will put a light bar, so i can see I/O ports in the dark!

LED POST (1).jpg

This is the lightbar lens i've made from L shape semi-white plexiglas, and added white forex to make more reflection of the light and to have a support; finally the black wrap on the front to make a thin light line. (in the picture it's not complete, just for test)

LED POST (4).jpg

This is the old PSU slot, so now that the PSU is in the bottom, i have to cover the areas in red.
    I've also added a circle illuminated button to power up the light bar.

LED POST (2).jpg

And here we have the original PSU cover, that will be placed in this new position, and i've also made a cover with forex to cover the hole

LED POST (3).jpg

All parts in place! So after testing, i glued in the back the white forex parts and in the front I have filled all the slots and little spaces with milliput.

LED POST (5).jpg