1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Laptop with an added monitor awkwardness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grump, 25 May 2020.

1. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Recently, I decided to switch from desktop PC (custom build, single monitor) to a laptop with an additional monitor. The laptop is a Dell XPS 15 7590 with most of the bells & whistles, including a 4K Touch IPS display with a 3840 x 2160 screen resolution. Even with the default 250% zoom level, it was very difficult for my 70 year old eyes to read and work on. I'm a photographer and use various programs to edit my photos (Adobe stuff) and the tools and text were just unbearably hard to see and use.

I bought a BenQ SW240 monitor to make my new system a dual monitor workstation as long as I was using it at home. It's a very nice monitor with a native 1920x1200 screen resolution - same as my previous 27" monitor - so I can work with programs, surf the Interweb and other things in comfort.

It has been many years since I've used a dual monitor setup. Back then, though, I was using two identical monitors. This setup is hard to get used to, so I'm hoping some of you can give me ideas to ease the awkwardness. It has been just a few days and one of my ways to relax is to watch videos and movies on the big 24" monitor. But how do I stop that bright glare of the Dell screen right next to the larger monitor? I drape a dark hand towel over it and that helps, but that can't be what everyone else does, is it?

The resolution of the Dell was just more than I could take, so I reduced the resolution to 1920x1080 and adjusted the zoom level to 125%. That is much more comfortable for me but I wonder if there were other options I hadn't considered.

Hope you can help an old modder. I haven't posted here in years, I think, but until now I've build all my own machines. I just haven't been able to do any modding because of lung disease, so I found other hobbies (Jeepin', photography).

Thanks,

Grump (aka Jim McClain)

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

Extend the display, drag your video player to the monitor and full screen it. Close the laptop.

Make sure you have changed the power option to do nothing when you close the lid.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In addition to that in display properties you can choose to just shown on display 1 or display 2 if you do not want to change behaviour of lid.

When you unplug it will automaatically switch to main screen.

[​IMG]

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Or just use the Windows+P keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between 1st or 2nd scren, mirror and extend.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good call,

Probably doesn't need that actually thinking about the fact it is a laptop it probably has a dedicated function key for it, mine is on f8, same for dell, so if you fuction keys are setup in media mode which is often the case you just push f8 and it will cycle through multi monitor options, if it is set in function key mode then you press fn key + f8

Last edited: 25 May 2020
  6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I might want to do this for on AC only. Nothing worse than closing a laptop lid, tossing it into a padded bag (translation insulated bag). A hour later when your commute is done wonder what that sound is and realizing it is your laptop's cooling system running flat out and nearly burning your hands as you extract the laptop from the bag. An hour latter wondering if it is safe to bring the battery pack into the house. After the second incident I adjust my power settings...

7. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Yes. That happened to ...a ... friend of mine ... too.