1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's funny, I seem to recall laws being enacted recently without parliamentary scrutiny/involvement which criminalised what was otherwise normal and legal behaviour. No oversight, no parliamentary approval, no readings, no House of Lords involvement; the government simply said 'it shall be done' and lo, it was done.

The purpose of the law and the urgency of the situation is not really the point. Sure, processes can be curtailed or shortened in urgent situations, I'm sure we have precedent for this even if it's an ancient precedent, but that doesn't mean you throw oversight out of the window completely. Which is exactly what happened. And what are the effects of such action? The vast majority of offences that were charged under the Coronavirus Act (or whatever it's called) were found to be improperly convicted. Why did this happen? Because the act was so badly worded that it was extremely vague and non-specific. It's also the reason that there is such a vast difference in how police forces approached enforcing it. It was crammed through as fast as possible with no time for oversight and no time for law enforcement to prepare.

EDIT: I realise this isn't quite on the same level as 'pushing the big red button', but in some ways it's worse than that because it's more insidious and cloaked in good intentions.

2. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Your right, on the basis that yes things did get enacted this way and no it's not comparable to the big red button scenario, but there are 3x buts ....

1st but - the legislation was carried out in the public eye insofar as much as it was, here lies a good point about democracy, everyone has a say and someone will always hopefully stand up for what they believe in because it's part of our society, which to my mind is if the UK government had tried to enact this legislation behind closed doors with no oversight, etc. then someone would leaked and squealed, then ensues uproar.

2nd but - <tangentially> the legislation has a sunset clause, add to which there is no inherent benefit for this legislation to be enforced forever, the economy is already in the shitter, it can only get worse if it stayed in place and we'd likely not take it lying down if it was not revoked.

The benefits of living in a free and open democracy, at worst we'd revolt, we are all quite revolting as is, but we'd revolt, as opposed to say NK, China and other not so lovely places who are ruled by fear and an iron fist, ironically they themselves, rulers, are inherently ruled by fear, fear of losing power, oh the irony.

3rd but - also I do think your comparison is apples to oranges, Boris did not individually decide the new powers were something he individually wanted/needed! There is no way that Boris or Trump could unilaterally alike a dictator decide right round up everyone who's left handed and shoot them, it can not happen, my point is as a single individual person within their respective governments, Boris or Trump, as I was alluding to, just DO NOT have that power available to them, yet the press and most of the world act as if he does, so luckily our southpaw friends won't be rounded up and shot just because Trump on a whim decides it.

They are not all powerful and without limits or repercussions, they're the same all singing and all dancing crap of the world ... just like the rest of us.

PS: the lockdown legislation if I remember correctly was debated and discussed, i.e. the Sunset clause both duration and regular assessment of, and did pass (waved) through the House of Lords - the point is it was NOT just 1 person deciding things which was my point in the post at the bottom of page 806

Last edited: 20 May 2020
  3. uerseya

Actually being less charitable Byron C your point doesn't negate my point, it is an apples to oranges comparison ;-P

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You are factually wrong, on so many points. But you know what? I really don't care. I don't have the time or the energy to go through your Gish-Gallop of a post to dissect each and every single argument and present a factual counter-argument which is backed by evidence.

Can we go back to posting memes now please? We've got a 'Serious' section for debates, this thread is supposed to be for posting stupid & funny ****.

5. uerseya

Easy tiger ... you might hurt my feelings an' ****, I wasn't aiming for factfulness, merely opinionated, but c'est la vie :hip:

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

This one is NSFW, be sure the kids ain't around or...anyone with a narrow sense of humour.
    Ye be warned.

[​IMG]

It gave me a good chuckle loll

Last edited: 20 May 2020
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I wonder why...? :confused:

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Very, very funny take on an old meme.

Pete J likes this.
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 May 2020
  11. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Each time I think Americans have reached the bottom of the barrel, something news comes up and proves me wrong.

[​IMG]

IanW and d_stilgar like this.
  12. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Ha ha. It doesn't make any sense. Is there some sort of berry flavor in the syrup? I don't think so. It says "Maple" in really large letters, so I'm going with that, but then why is it blue? Why is Cap'n Crunch involved in this?
    It's Aunt Jemima brand (you can see the embossed letters at the top of the bottle), but she's nowhere to be seen. Quaker Oats owns that brand and the Cap'n Crunch brand, so okay, but why? Is there Cap'n Crunch pancake mix or am I supposed to put this syrup on my cereal?

I really hate it but I also kinda love it.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Christ alive.

I think I'd rather use that as de-icing fluid than let it anywhere near my insides.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Arboreal like this.
  14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What's inside a £300 anti-5G USB stick, that works "through a process of quantum oscillation to balance and re-harmonise the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices"

Best line in the article? The "manufacturer" of the product (and I use that word in the loosest sense possible) refutes the BBC's claims, saying "It is therefore hard to take your evaluation seriously, since you have evidently not researched the background facts in any meaningful way."

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If you buy three, you get a special price. Anyone want to chip in? Gotta watch those 5Gs getting into your precious bodily fluids.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But...but...they used science words, so it must work, right?

:rollingeyes:

Pete J likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The "manufacturers" are nothing more than conmen, preying on people's irrational fears.

The trouble is saps will pay for their 5 quid memory stick-with-a-sticker.

Missed a chance there, Glastonbury is easy to get to from here...:wallbash:

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Change the colour of the sticker, add an extra £100 to the price tag, for reasons.

20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder