1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU NEW 10900k! (with bonus weird marketing points)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 30 Apr 2020.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You could just cal them bad or wrong. Thats all you can ever call them as anything else is pure speculation of their motives.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh come on they sell themselves on a regular basis. Everything is about the views and money. "Hey I will do a video about <insert thing here>" and then within a week the top boys have all copied one another and done exactly the same sodding video.

AdoredTV is one of the only honest journos on there, and look how many subs he has compared to the ones brown nosing all of the time. That is how it all works. You need to be a total sell out, and will say anything you have to. As I said I do like the philosophy behind gamer's nexus, but his voice is so monotone and gruff I get bored of it very quickly.

Even the algorithm on Youtube is totally loaded in favour of the money makers. To find anything remotely interesting from people with low sub/views I have to custom search on my browser. On my Android devices? I don't even think it's possible. It certainly isn't on my Amazon stick !

4. Vault-Tec

Quite simply? by becoming good salesmen/women.

Ask yourself how many times you have bought new gear, or upgraded because you physically had to? that would probably be none, even for someone like you. Each time you've done so because of hype, your hobby interest and so on. That is all pushed to us, and even you, through marketing.

Like I said though, how many times did you physically run short and a game or app actually refused to launch until you upgraded? This whole "TAKE MY MONEY" phenomenon is new, remember? now more than ever we buy pretty much everything we don't need.

I worked in sales in the USA for many years. I hated it, and I felt completely trapped and having to force myself to "white lie" all of the time. What I mean by that is this - had I read their script I would have been a liar. So, I had to continually come up with ways to say those scripts in different ways so that I could avoid outright being dishonest to people. And you know what? I sucked. The only reason I did even remotely OK was my accent and because I was in the USA.

At its heart it is not a nice industry. At all. It is typically new world America. Cut throat, and having to be prepared to do things you really know you shouldn't be doing deep down. Well, if you have any moral compass, that is.

I don't like Intel one bit. I've liked some of their products over the years, but they have form for throat cutting. And I have seen it first hand, when back in 1999 their rep walked into my shop and said, and I quote "We have been hearing rumours you have been encouraging users to overclock their Celeron 300A. Stop, or we will withdraw our sales contract" And gems such as "If you sell anything made by AMD here you will no longer be an authorised reseller for Intel" and so on. IE - if you piss us off there goes your ES and all of the other goodies we continually drop by.

And you know what? they got caught. They got caught, and they got fined. But, the fines were cheaper than losing sales and bending people over barrels. About six years ago they tried it again, on Linus' forum with the "Intel response squad". IE if someone was talking about AMD CPUs and which one to buy certain users (with a title under their name*) would come along and do their level best to convince them to buy Intel. Intel were better, faster, etc.

* They were not paying them outright. Maybe they were paying Linus? IDK. What they were doing was offering them perks like ES, and being entered into raffles and so on. All of a sudden it ended, and every single post from one of these members vanished. In fact, when you Google search it like this all you get is this.

[​IMG]

Now after all of this was gone and swept under the carpet I posted about it. My post was deleted, and I was told if I mentioned it again I would be banned. Many forget stuff like this, the machine goes on. I don't. So whilst they may not be the exact definition of a shill? they are everything besides.

If AMD start jacking up their prices? then yes, I won't be best pleased about that either. And I will say so.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Mate, that's like complaining all newspaper are rags then trotting out The Daily Mail as the only honest one out there.

6. Vault-Tec

I am not talking about repair. You bought a 4k monitor why? as an upgrade right? you then replaced it with a 1440p monitor why? because you wanted to, not because you needed to. How much you spend and your circumstances have nothing to do with it, because that is unique to you. You could have simply ran your 4k monitor at 1440p in gaming.

Why would you ask for advice after you have bought something? that's not a good idea.

The last time I bought a whole PC all at once was in 2014. I upgrade mine every now and then. Not because I have to, because I want to. If something blows up I repair it by replacing whatever needs replacing. Sounds like you too were in the wrong line of business. I only did so out of necessity, because I didn't realise that in the USA you can be a genius but without the piece of paper you end up working in Walmart.

7. Vault-Tec

Then why do you?

8. Vault-Tec

You are not here to be giving advice. Just like we are not here to be answering all of your questions, that as you boil it down to, are mostly pointless.

You do realise that when you post said question you are asking someone for their time, right? do you know how many questions and PMs of yours I have answered without a like or a thank you? sometimes it is like a bottomless pit dude.

It would be far better if you came here for a chat and a laugh. You know? contribute. I've stuck up for you on many occasion due to your, nae OUR condition but I am beginning to realise that underneath that condition there lies a personality. I have also given you advice to type up what you are going to say and then sit and look at it for a while and think about it. You haven't listened at all, keep getting YOURSELF into scrapes with others and then announcing to the world you are putting them on ignore. Why?

If you are not feeling good, or anxious, or angry or whatever else? go and see someone about it. It's what I spend my life doing so that you don't have to put up with it.

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Let's not get our glass houses in a twist lads. You both make up a significant proportion of the reported posts we get so stop complaining about each other. You also are both very similar. Occasionally making stupid posts other people point out are stupid then getting annoyed.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

At around 11 minutes he shows thermal testing of 30 CPU's, seems to be a big range in thermals and power, 13C from lowest to highest in his batch.

11. Vault-Tec

I'm not going to start another argument about it. That isn't what I was doing any way. I just highlighted exactly what he's shown in that video, that there are going to be some real stinkers out there. I know, my buddy got one.

I just find it funny that none of the reviewers got one.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

To be fair, in the 30 he tested, there was one at the worse end of the spectrum and 4-5 at the good end, so going by those numbers 3% chance to get a bad one and a 16% chance of a really good one. I think your buddy just lost the silicone lottery unfortunately.

13. Vault-Tec

Yeah. He bought retail too. Pretty gutting, but at least he was able to "fix" it. I guess if you are on Intel and have been for ages you'd be used to voiding your warranty lol.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

We're all used to doing that ;P I guess we've had it good for a long time that the silicone lottery wasn't really a thing apart from high end overclockers.