1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 980ti Hall Of Fame fan failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by el2k, 30 May 2020.

1. el2k

el2k Modder

Hi guys,

I have the 980ti HOF that can be seen here https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforce-gtx-980-ti-hof.html

1 fan on the air cooler has been broke for around a year but it's still kept cool enough to work fine, however today i took it apart to see if I could fix the fan, just cleaned everything out, disconnected and reconnected all fans etc, put fresh TIM on.

Now that ive done that, all 3 fans arent working! I've taken it apart 3 times now and reseated it all, is there a chance the connector ton the PCB that powers the fans has just given up?

What are my options, watercool it or new GPU?
    If i bought a GPU AIO, would the one fan that cools the ram still need to connect to that connector?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm not against buying a new GPU, as this has served me well for 5 years almost now, it's just that i play on a 24" monitor so the 980ti is still very capable and the value/upgrade isn't that great

Last edited: 30 May 2020
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You can probably get replacement fans on ebay or aliexpress, but all three dying sounds like a cable break or connector issue. Have you tried a continuity test on the fans wires?

AIOs don't typically use the GPU header to power anything.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The AIO bracket fan (assuming NZXT right?) (80 or 92mm, IIRC) connects to your mobo.

4. el2k

el2k Modder

This is my thoughts about the connector, i'm gonna try a few more times and ill try test the fans indivdually like youver suggested thanks!

Was thinking of the nzxt one yeah, do you think it would be worthwhile to get that and keep the 980ti for the money ill spend on cooler or just upgrade to a 1080ti/2070 or something?

5. el2k

el2k Modder

I take it all back, after building PC's for 15 years turns out you can still make silly mistakes!

Just took it apart again to test the fans individually and saw that I had them plugged into the wrong connector after dismantling and rebuilding 3-4 times.

For the record, anyone know what the second IDENTICAL connector is for if i can't power the fans and has nothing plugged in to it?

See pic (connector is now plugged into the correct one, wahst the spare one for?)

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  6. David

7. David

Didn't they produce a custom waterblock for the HOF cards and control the lighting on it via that header?

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. el2k

el2k Modder

Think you could be correct there :thumb: