1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P_R_I_M_E -- Completed.. 12/24

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by scopEDog, 29 May 2003.

1. anion

anion What's a Dremel?

well....batteries ?

2. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

Already answered there guy!

3. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

:eeek: Ed had to clap some foos down on 5th avenue and 52nd :worried:

EDIT: or it was 148th and Amsterdam

Act up, and get clapped up!

Last edited: 1 Dec 2003
  4. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Ok time to do some catch up...

Before I begin...I've gotten a few emails about what inspired me to come up with certain features of this case. A while back I did some research on 18-wheelers and this one caught my eye:

[​IMG]

So I used this pic to get ideas. It kinda looks like PRIME don't ya think? :)

If you notice on the original post, my drawing has this "frame" in the front of the case..where the drives are. Its just a sort of decorative piece really...kinda artistic representation of the front "glass" on PRIMEs chest. But I think it looks cool non the less :)

So again more cutting...my round alu stock was cut to size and mounted to the "frame" piece with socket head screws:

[​IMG]

..mounted to the top section, again socket head screws to the rescue:

[​IMG]

And finally a test fit for the front:

[​IMG]

Now it was time to focus on the pumps...and this was the tough part. I wanted a clean sort of look and wanted to minimize tubes going in all different directions. I drilled and mounted the base for the pumps (eheim owners will be familiar with these) and started with different ways to install them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after putting together the WC in my mind I came up with a good way to mount these guys. After that was done I turned my attention over to the drive mounting. Now I hope I don't get any slack from Lian Li owners but....

....I tore apart two LL cases for parts :( But its for a worthy cause! Really! I swear! :worried: :rock:

I drilled out the upper drive cage...and after cutting/sanding I was left with 2 very nice drive racks...perfect for what I need:

[​IMG]

...and of course i had to do a test fit:

[​IMG]

Not bad eh? :)

Some of you also wanted to see the motherboard up close:

[​IMG]

and of course the teaser pic i posted with the bullet waterblock mounts:

[​IMG]

Next up....the MOST critical part of my entire project!! The FIERCE battle between Clark the Gecko and Sumo the Mechalizard!:

[​IMG]

...oh wait how did that pic get there :D

Ok ok I made ya wait long enough....here is a shot of PRIME right before I took everything to get anodized:

[​IMG]

It was just a test fit to make sure everything sits right. So the panels etc.. are at the anodizer (sounds like a boss from teenage mutant ninja turtles or something) and I should be getting them soon...

...so until then, thats all folks :)

*edit!* Repost because of server crash...damn you RTT, damn youuuuuu! :p :D

5. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Some of you were asking about how I was going to power both PSU's at the same time. Well as most of you know the green and and black leads from a PSU once shorted can turn the power supply on. Alot of folks out there simply wire both green and black from both together and you've got them turning on at once. I prefer using a relay..and I turned to swiftechs old pump relay kit for this. Basically what it does is turn on a pump when the PC turns on. Nice thing is, it has other uses:)

With kit in hand, I needed some type of an enclosure, and I found something perfect for this. A while back I bought a targus laptop USB light and it came with this neat little "box"(left):

[​IMG]

I picked up an ATX extension cable from my local PC shop and started modding. A simple wire up and glue down (hot glue guns are extremely useful for modding, as alot of you know already) and we have something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and of course I had to put in a blue led :)

Here it is closed and sleeved, ready for action:

[​IMG]

And a quick test to see if both PSUs turn on simultaneously:

[​IMG]

You can see it in the middle of that shot. Next was to hit the power button....

[​IMG]

Success! Sorry for the blurry pic, but I stink at taking pics :p :D I also took the time to switch out the blue leds from the front psu fans to white and adding a cool alternating on/off led circuit from canakits. You can see it through the side window of the PSU (sorry but I lost those build shots :()

6. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Q's on the MB- what was the price of the MB and CPUs? Is the main power connector 24-pin? Also, I think there is an extra 8-pin connector near the lower CPU? So... Are you using a standard or server PSU?

This is probbably in your log but what video card do you plan to use?

And my final point- in your last post you said "a lot of people asked me how I planned to power both PSUs"... well I'll assume your going to use typical power cords connected to a wall outlet. :p But on a more serious note, do you plan to simply have two power cords, or somehow combine them into one? I image it would be possible, and it'd look pretty nice.

L J

7. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

Not bad not bad !

QUESTION !

[​IMG]

This looks good : YES !
    Problem ! How do you fix the screws to the drived in the middle ?
    Or are you only going to use the screws on the outer edge ?

8. Krewten®

Krewten® What's a Dremel?

Make sure there is a connection between the 0V lines of the 2 PSU's.
    I killed a couple of hard disks wen i powered them with 2 PSU's and didn't connect the 0V lines.
    There was some sort of voltage difference on the 0V line and the hardware didn't like it :wallbash:

9. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

@ Logan_85: Yes everything is 24 pin...power supply and mobo so I guess this would be called a "server" PSU, although it does come with a converter for your standard 20 pin ATX.

Yes it will have only one power cord coming out the side. Makes for a cleaner look me thinks. And video card..Radeon 9800 pro 256 :)

@ HardModd: Thats a good question! Although its a pain to do it this way, everything needs to be screwed in before the drive cage gets attached to the front panel.

10. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

Thank man that aws all i was thinking of , now only sit back and enjoy your nice construction :naughty:

11. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Ed: I take it you haven't recieved my "package" yet :worried:

stop using a lighter on that HS!!! :nono:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is looking tastier by the minute! Keep on truckin'... :rock:

13. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I just received your *ahem* package. And no I dont use a lighter on heatshrink man...i have a heat gun :) Thanks for the help mister.. :dremel:

Thanks Nexxo!

14. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

man, thats nice :lol:

15. Shogun

Shogun Banned

man, thats nice :lol:

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

thts the sprit

17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder