1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Spirit of Motion

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MaximumBubbleMods, 15 May 2020.

1. MaximumBubbleMods

MaximumBubbleMods Minimodder

So I spent a couple hours working on the platform that supports and/or mounts the SSD, optic drive, and GPU. After inspiration from @Jean R built (thanks again!) I decided to include a track along the side of the platform where I can run my cables for the optic and solid state drive in a cleaner configuration.

The optic drive cables will sweep back 180 degrees into the track and the SSD's cables will do a smooth 90 degree bend into the track. I didn't want to make the channel large enough to fit the connectors through so I made a slit along it's length. It is just wide enough to press each cable into the channel and the channel just large enough to fit all the cables (theoretically haha).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now at the back of the case, the sata connectors will run behind the motherboard mount, come out at the motherboard's edge where the connectors are, and plug in there. Nice and clean. The power cables will stay low and run along the side and to the front of the power supply.

I like this a lot more as there will not be any of these cables now crossing in open space through the case.

Canardwc, MADPC, ivory2k19 and 2 others like this.
  2. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

It's still a Porsche !

Awesome design by the way:happy:

MaximumBubbleMods likes this.
  3. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

OMG! This is going to be awesome, i love aluminium parts!

4. MaximumBubbleMods

Thank you for the compliments! Now, mistake time!

So I got the one sheet metal piece that I had made by a local shop. The lightly textured black powder coat and workmanship look sooooo good.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The excitement was short lived though as I instantly noticed that I messed up pretty badly. BUT... fixable. I forgot the power supply fan hole so I measured it and marked where I was going to need a big hole in my brand new sheet metal part.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I put a scrap piece of wood behind the cavity, clamped it to the corner of the table and I grabbed a metal blade for the jigsaw. This is the bottom of the case but I could have preserved the powder coat finish better if I would have lay masking tape or painters tape all over that bottom surface. Hindsight. Applied some oil and went to carefully cutting out the hole.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I took my time and the jig saw did a pretty good job besides some scratching of the powder coat. I grabbed a couple files and smoothed the edges just a little before sanding the inside edge with some 80 grit sandpaper. Ended up being nice and smooth to the touch once I was done.

[​IMG]

Could have all been avoided work but I'm glad it was something easily fixed without compromise.

5. Canardwc

Have u New update ? :grin:

6. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Jeeesus cutting a hole like that is ballsy! You have some skills!!!!:dremel::rock::rock:

MaximumBubbleMods and Canardwc like this.
  7. Theophilus_Field

Theophilus_Field If all else fails... use the surfacing tools

Phwoarrrrr!
    She's so T H I C C

Honestly though, I really love this design and the amount of billet aluminium is just nuts!

8. MaximumBubbleMods

Update in the works! I got pulled into another project for a moment but I'm back in the "Spirit" haha

:hehe: When I make a mistake... you cut big holes in things.

I explained in a past post why I think she needs to be haha and I am also a big fan of aluminum so it is a win win :rock:

Canardwc likes this.
  9. MaximumBubbleMods

Life pulled me off the build for a week but I'm back with an update!

First thing I did after the fun I had cutting that giant hole in the sheet metal was to actually mount it up. I cleaned the metal dust and cutting oil up and squeezed it in the frame. It is a snug fit but I'm happy to say all the holes line up and it looks fantastic!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not sure what to call the middle shelf/mount thing but I printed it up in the same filament as the motherboard mount. This print took around 24 hours but came out clean. There was some support material on the bottom and within the cable channel that needed to be removed but it popped out nicely and you can't see any of those areas regardless.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mounted this to the main aluminum frame but the bracket did not line up perfectly with the sheet metal cutouts. I didn't want to re-print the part so I found some small washers and simply spaced the bracket out by a washer width. Lined up well after that and I tightened it up. I want the alignment close because of the optic drive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I kept almost all the threaded holes in this case 3mm so I picked up a cheap box of 250 various length 3mm black button head cap screws for cheap. Just under $11! Super nice just grabbing the length I need for each different location and I think they look great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I grabbed the power supply and slipped it under the bracket and mounted it up.

[​IMG]
    The optic drive just slides into the back and the bracket. It has a cutout for the cables as well as the three holes for mounting it at the rear. The drive cables will come out, do a U-turn, and go into the cable channel along the bracket's edge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Further out on the bracket is the SSD mounting location. This is lifted up so the cable can come out the bottom and turn 90 degrees into the channel. These cables will run with the optic drive cables to the back of the case. I made a couple cutout on the 3D printed bracket so the SSD wasn't insulated against plastic. Better airflow even if it isn't needed was my thought.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The picture below shows why the alignment of the 3D printed bracket needs to be pretty close. The optic drive doesn't have huge amounts of space around it. No large panel gap on this vehicle! :rock:

[​IMG]
    I slid the GPU in the sheet metal cutout and noticed that the PCB sticks out proud of its plastic housing. Along the edge that sits on the 3D printed bracket. This holds the GPU up a little so I will need to make a little cutout along the 3D printed bracket so it can sit down the tenth of an inch or so that it is being held up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Because the case is so open and the cooling will be coming in the front and out the top, the rear of the build I think looks simple and clean and I'm really happy with it.

[​IMG]

Sam__, ivory2k19, 4LIEN and 6 others like this.
  10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Looks factory !:rock:

11. Canardwc

BAM, an update as I like ! Pictures and lecture..

Magnifique. Very clean.

But I really don't understand why you keep obsolète DVD or BR? But its btacket is clever and well done rzalized :thumb:

12. MaximumBubbleMods

Or, from the back does it look like a small factory? :naughty: haha

Thank you so much! Also, great question. Simple answer is I included it because this is a build for my dad. He still uses one and would like to have one :rollingeyes:. I want to build him something with everything he wants and more so I'm happy to include it, BUT... I found the smallest "Ultra Slim" drive from a laptop that I could find :rock:

Defyant Mods likes this.
  13. Canardwc

Even my own 71 years old father doesn't still use that technology. But you had to negiciate and convice him ! :lol:

So that make sense and i understand why now.

:thumb:

Last edited: 15 Jun 2020
  14. Canardwc

Hope my sons build me a beautifull computer ! :grin::lol:

15. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

When your beautiful children grow up, the computer is likely to be implanted into people's brains. :grin::lol::lol::lol:

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Canardwc -I have a buttload of music. The CDs are degrading over time and I'm often getting new albums that don't initialize. I have to make copies to get them to play.
    TL;DR; old stuff isn't old if it's still being made.

MaximumBubbleMods and idpcmods like this.
  17. MaximumBubbleMods

@censored_Prometheus_ I hope we can mod those computer implants at least! :clap:

You guys have any suggestions on cable colors? There is lots of polished aluminum, red, and black. Not sure if I want to go flashy or keep the cables less prominent honestly.

I have only done one other casemod and I used paracord from an army surplus store which was great but I'm thinking of going PET sleeving for this build instead.

censored_Prometheus_ likes this.
  18. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

You can use a combination of red and black and as accent 2 cables with silver sleeve? :naughty:

19. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Considering the classic car theme, I would say that black silver or shades of gray work the best for the cables sleeving.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You could do a much darker red for the interior accent. Red with dark red pin stripe always looked good.