1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Media screen

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RascalRusty, 8 Dec 2003.

1. RascalRusty

RascalRusty What's a Dremel?

Hi all (again!!!)

Im looking at a little project (well a big project for me being a noob!!!).

Basically, I want a LCD that will be linked to my computer. Directly under the LCD will be feather touch switch (I wanted a touch screen LCD, but too pricy), these switches will basically be the usual functions of a music player, I.e Play, skip track, program, etc. On the desply can be a number of things, such as simple text tell what song is playing, how long is left, what the next song is, volume, eq settings, ect, ect, would be nice to also have the weriod patterns from media play on the if choosen too!!!

Basically, this is just in the "Id like to do"stages. So basically, could any one offer some help of where to start, what I need, what I need to learn (program wise, etc!!) any helpful links. Anything of any help.

Thanks to all

2. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

hi. thought id reply cos noone else had yet.
    Matrix Orbital ( www.matrixorbital.com ) do a wide range of displays of many types (LCD and VFD, character and full graphic). They use LCDC software which should do everything you want and then some.
    You can get displays with keyboards on, but all come with input ports and atleast 3 assignable logic outputs. I suppose if you case the display you could place some very sensitive microswitches behind it to act as a sort of touch control. I could see that being very hard to implement however. Proper touchscreens often work by the capacitance of two layers of screen being altered when a light force is present - obviously it would be very hard to create such a homemade system.
    I think about this one.. ;)

3. RascalRusty

thank you for your reply, Im grateful.
    Im looking more for a sqaure shape LCD thought really say about 150mm x 150 mm, or something, more of a media shape to it.

Any more help??? Please

4. OrbDemon

OrbDemon Minimodder

What about a 6-8" tft lcd like the ones you get in cars? They usuallu have s-video inputs.

5. RascalRusty

yeah, that would probably do, or a bit smaller to keep costs down, then how do I drive it. (could I use a small laptop screen???)

6. Shogun

Shogun Banned

knock the laptop screen idea straight out of your head. thats all im going to say ;)

7. RascalRusty

Hi Shogun,

I take it from that comment that this is a hard task!!!! any other ides, anyone???
    I used to work alot in redditch, at a paintballing site (oh the great days!!!)

8. ajack

ajack rox

Using a lappy screen is pricey....very pricey.... :search:

9. Shogun

Shogun Banned

just search on the forms for laptop lcd or the such and you will find out.

The compacted version : the laptop lcd needs a controller for it to be usefull. This is normally built into the laptop pcb and would need replacing. These costs alot (iirc in the region of 150-200 quid), you can almost certainly get a touchscreen for around that sort of money.

When abouts did you work in redditch, i bet its gone downhill alot since you stopped working here :p

10. RascalRusty

Got ya, can I pick up a normal LCD screen about 150mm x 150mm and control it

Worked in redditch from about 1996 - 2001, at a paintball site called national paintball games

11. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

you can get small TFT panels which can take composite inputs. ive seen some with graphics card 15pin analogue inputs, but, whoa, they is pricey (£400+). Maplin have a 4" tft panel for about £100, and they tend to be quite expensive so you might find one for quite a bit less. you could run it off a TV-out graphics card.
    to be honest, i think you'd have more luck with a VFD display like an orbital though, as they have much more user friendly interfacing.

12. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

The QT110 IC uses a changes in a capacitance field to make a touch switch. The electrode of the switch can be placed behind any non-conductive surface... not sure how thick, but it might just work thru a thin LCD, mine works thru a 5mm sheet of lexan and 3mm if Aliuminum, If your LCD controller allows 3 logic inputs, that gives you Play, Stop and FF...

The QT110 is available in the UK from www.farnell.com at about £2.50 each and the data sheet is available from http://www.qprox.com/products/touch.php The IC is easy to use and only needs one other component (apart from a project board and some wire)

13. bigniall

bigniall What's a Dremel?

14. RascalRusty

Hi all,

Having looked at the link posted by bigniall, its pretty much what Im after, and that thing can display some nice graphics!!! Link

Does anyone know where I can get the SED1330 LCD display from, preferably in the UK, but if packaging and postage is cheap enough then anywhere

Thanks