1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird GPU Issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TinnersSC2, 8 Jun 2020.

1. TinnersSC2

TinnersSC2 What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I recently acquired a used RX470 GPU, and have been experiencing some unusual issues. When idle and the screen goes off, sometimes I am unable to get the screen to come back on. Then sometimes when I go to switch the PC on, again no signal from the GPU to the monitor, don't even get the POST screen. These issues are intermittent, and sometimes I can go a couple of days no problem. My last resort if i can't get GPU to output is pull out the power connector and force the PC to boot with integrated graphics. I thought this might be driver related so carried out a clean install of latest stable AMD software (but this wouldn't explain no POST screen).

Just in terms of troubleshooting, would you suspect the GPU is the root cause of the problem? My PSU has always had a few unusual quirks (would sometimes randomly switch itself back on when powered off), so i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. My screen is pretty old, but as it detects signal fine from integrated graphics i'd say this probably isn't the problem. My RAM is newly installed, but was also second hand.

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (Haswell socket 1150 LGA)
    M/B MSI Z97i AC
    RAM Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
    GPU Powercolor Radeon RX 470 4GB
    PSU Corsair HX520
    Dell SP2309W 23" monitor

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Tried a different cable ? (can cause strange intermittent issues sometimes) - both on GPU to monitor, and PSU to GPU ?
    If you boot on integrated graphics, does control panel show any issues with the Radeon card, or just the usual working properly ?

Could try turning off any "wake on" settings in the BIOS to see if that stops the PSU just deciding that "hey i'm gonna start the PC for no reason".

If anything has been overclocked by you, try running at default settings to see if it changes anything.

3. TinnersSC2

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

No idea on the "waking up" then, sorry. Any luck trying a different video cable ?

* if nothing else this'll bump thread to the top in case anyone else has any ideas.

5. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

Recently had awful problems with an RX580, everything was fine with an R9 390X.
    Wouldn't recover from sleep, so had to turn sleep off, some times didn't display the bios screen. Then started
    loads of bccCode 116 errors, sometimes whilst idle. Followed all the suggested cures, none worked.
    tried 12 different drivers even going back to Crimson edition, no joy.
    It would happily run Furmark for ages, memtest ran for 12 passes. Re-seated the card
    no change. Then finally thought why not try it in another pcie slot. I had to unplug the pcie
    power cables to move it as they were tucked away too well, the 6 pin one seemed a bit wobbly in the
    socket. rebooted and all problems gone away. It now sleeps and wakes happily to. It must have been a power
    problem but I don't know if it was the plug or the slot giving a power problem. As you don't have another pcie slot
    try removing it and checking the slot for a misaligned contact, and if your Psu is flaky change it, it could prove
    expensive if it gives up the ghost completely.

6. TinnersSC2

Cheers again guys, useful suggestions.

I did try both DVI and HDMI cables, same issue. Also had two PCI-E power cables on PSU so tried them both (albeit 6-pin, not 8-pin). Only have one PCI-e slot on my motherboard so can't try that unfortunately.

Tempted to splash out on new PSU, but there seems to be a bit of a stock shortage at all the usual places.

7. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

If you haven't already take the card out and plug it back in the slot a few times to clean up the contacts and / or inspect the card and slot for anything obvious like dull corroded contacts or no contact. Make sure the power pins are making good contact, inspect the power connector on the card for dry joints.

I have had hdmi cable problems before and swapping to a different cable sorted it, if you have more than one of the same cable it may still be the cable so find another brand / type of cable.