1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Display Choise is OVERWHELMING. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Razgrad, 2 Jun 2020.

1. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hello Gentlemen, I chose 8 monitors I could get for around £230-250, some brand new, some second hand. What would you guys recommend? I have a 24inch Dell Ultrasharp right now but at 60hz only, so I was looking for an upgrade either 24 or 27inch, where high refresh rate is a must at this point. Do i choose the TN or the VA panel? My budget seems insufficient for a IPS panel at these hz. I Only have a GTX970, but that is the next component to get upgraded in the next 6months or so. So what would you guys suggest. Links are only for a reference.

ASUS VG258QR
    ALIENWARE AW2518HF
    ASUS ROG STRIX XG27VQ
    DELL S2719DGF
    ASUS MG248QR
    AOC CQ27G2U/BK
    BenQ Zowie XL2411P
    Samsung CJG5 27

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-VG2...rentrq:769b6d611720a688a3d56566fff5c6f8|iid:1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALIENWAR...hash=item1efaa291c5:m:mgv8ikQ2QBUkPVFuNSIqhcw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-ROG...560049?hash=item2d0cefa431:g:SQIAAOSwJlRe1AR3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-S27...254198&hash=item1cd144d43d:g:eDkAAOSwztFeqmyK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-MG2...712197&hash=item594e87ffe6:g:BXsAAOSwdNlehHo4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AOC-CQ27...496643&hash=item54848c011a:g:qWEAAOSw-v5eRW7P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BenQ-Zow...516368&hash=item2a97c8101d:g:vosAAOSwcJVd5uEj

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-...980386&hash=item5472616fd2:g:G6EAAOSwnGldJF1p

2. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Is that better than thje list ive gathered? There are some displays that brand new come to about £390, and I could get for 250, is the IPS panel on the AOC that good , although 5ms response time ?

3. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't buy the Alienware. I have one, I got it on sale from Dell for £240 (£250 with a game code I sold for a tenner). It's well worth £250, but I could never, ever live with it as my main and only monitor. It just looks like total TN hot garbage.

I would wait until you get the new GPU, and for now enable Fast Sync.

[​IMG]

I believe it works on Maxwell. Give that a try, monitor your FPS and see how you like it. If it is still capped at 60 FPS then just check to make sure you have disabled Vsync in game.

GL. Off to bed before I collapse right here and fall asleep and drool all over my desk.

5. Vault-Tec

6. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Ok after literally 6 hours of idividual model research, I came to colclusion that I will be having future upgrades in mind, so I will avoid the 1080p monitors, although i had some fantastic deals lined up. I ended up with the remaining 4 monitors to choose from. There is no doubt that Dell and Samsung are a brand name that generations of gamers have trusted over the years, however the question remains does their second hand product worth almost the same as a brand new display of a relatively small company like the AOC. I know the Dell is a TN panel compared to the other 3, but there were some great reviews I've seen. My current monitor is 24" IPS Dell Ultrasharp Non curved and It would look good side by side.
    However The appeal of the new Samsung and the fantastic Value of the AOC (brand new) are not to be ignored.
    Out of the remaining 4, considering the price, what would you recommend? Also is anyone able to find the AOCs for under £300 with delivery ?
    Cheers.

AOC CQ27G2U/BK -- 1440p / VA / 144Hz / 27" / ?ms / Curved - can't find in stock below £300 including shipping , can't find second hand
    AOC Q27G2U/BK -- 1440p / VA / 144Hz / 27" / ?ms / Non Curved - can't find in stock Below £300 including shipping, cant find second hand
    Samsung CJG5 27 - 1440p / VA / 144hz / 27" / 4ms - Curved - £250-Second Hand, or around £300-320 brand new.
    DELL S2719DGF -- 1440p / TN / 155Hz / 27" / 1ms / Non Curved - £250-£275- Second Hand, or ~£350 brand new

7. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Ok, So i've ruled out the Dell for being a TN panel+ second hand I have a higher risk.
    Then i ruled out the Samsung - although it is super good on paper, and priced VERY good, the final blow that it does not support Freesync nor G-sync.

So I am left with the AOCs, just waiting to find a retailer that has it in stock for <300 shipped. :) Thanks guys, I hope that it will be worth waiting for it.

8. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

I became very doubtfull of my determination, so just before I decided to sit tight and wait for a good deal, with the hope that by then something else would pop-up, I ended up placing an order from CCLonline for £309 with shipping, hoping that when this monitor becomes available once again with other retailers, the new price will spike-up due to popular demand. There are a lot of great reviews for these budget models. I ordered the Curved one, as the other one was not in stock. Thanks fellas.
    InkedAnnotation 2020-06-04 025732_LI.jpg

Guest-44638 likes this.
  9. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hey guys, I've left a review of the AOC monitor , after I had a chance to use it for a day. I am not very happy with it, so I'll be returning it. Below is what I shared :

Hey Guys,
    I've been using my new Monitor for 1 day now (AOC CQ27G2U 144hz, VA, 1440p, Curved , £310) and I could say that it made the world of difference when it came to gaming. Smooth, crisp etc etc use what ever word you want to discribe it, but there is a big BUT to be said about it. I came from a Dell Ultrasharp U2415 60hz, IPS, 1080p, Flat , and brand new back when I bought it it was nearly £400. So over the years I got spoiled to AMAZING colours, super bright screen, Super white whites and in general the IPS display is just SOOO GOOD to look at for a long period of time.
    When I finished gaming today I went to browse the web, do some facebook, youtube, buy some new jeans etc etc... the stuff you do regularly. And boy oh boy that poor VA is SOOOO much worse than my 5 years old DELL. All white web pages look "Apply like" Pure white on my DELL and sort of gray-ish white laundry after washing it up 20 times in cold water witout soap , together with a black T-shirt in the mix (on the AOC). At one point the Text on some items I was browsing became invisible due to contrast issues while I was trying to play around with the monitor setting to get a better picture. My dell on 55-60 % is as bright as that AOC on 100%. It's just not enjoyable going from high end IPS 60hz 1080p to Mid Range 144hz 1440p VA panel.
    So don't do my mistake. If you are spoiled on a high end IPS, do not go back to VA, I am returning my monitor and will be getting an IPS 144hz but entry level according to my budget. I do fair bit of gaming, but the bright image with true colours is better in my opinion compared to a fast refresh rate screen. If you only use it for gaming, then I highly recommend this screen as it is real bargain at around £300 you get 27" + VA + 1440p + 144hz . There is a bit of ghosting, but it's expected. However if you are coming from a better quality picture display there is no need for a Downgrade of picture quality for double the frame count unless you only game on it, day and night.
    I will be replacing this monitor with the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD , although it has a name worthy of a windows activation key , the reviews are awesome and the price is crazy low for the specs . IPS, 144hz, 1440p, Flat , around £330-350 . It just came in stock in the UK yesterday, so be quick to grab one while it lasts. Here a good review of this monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKev6cPZhY
    Cheers.

boiled_elephant and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Did you even try Fast Sync on your Dell like I suggested?

11. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Yea, it is still On, and it feels different / better on the Dell , but the AOC is better in game in my opinion. Here the difference in the Whites i was talking about. On camera it doesnt even comes close to how it looks in person, but its still noticable. IMG_20200606_224924.jpg

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I had a similar experience with my Iiyama 27" VA panel. It's good for the price (very good, £130 new) but the contrast and black depth are just poo compared to the c.2008-2012 IPS panels I was used to.

This is why I'm gaming on the OLED TV now, and why I haven't gotten another monitor since. You can't get good black depth and contrast for gaming in darker environments unless you spend a LOT of money. That is, I assume you can get it at all. I haven't seen a £600 LCD monitor in person.

I'm just waiting for OLED gaming monitors now. That's when I'll go back to a desk setup.

Razgrad likes this.
  13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think OLED would be awful for monitors, can you imagive the task bar burn in? :p QLED monitors are what I'm really interested in, should be as good as OLED but without the burn in. Samsung is just about to release some, although they are faaaar from cheap!

Razgrad likes this.
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

I paid around £700 for a 144hz gsync IPS asus monitor last year 1440p, coming from a VA 1440p night and day difference.

monitor is best long term investment I feel in pc now

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Scares me spending that much on one tho, like what if it develops dead pixels in the 2nd year?

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

There were reports, some time ago, that Samsung were developing new micro-led technology. Like OLED but, without the organic compounds so, all the advantages of OLED without the main disadvantages. Not seen any further news for a long time so, don't know what came of it or may be coming.

17. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hey guys, have a look at the two videos on my google drive. Showing the striking difference in panel quality of the old Dell and the new (worse AOC). The VA panel on the AOC when scrolling text on screen - yellow letters turn to orange-red and white letters turn green. With the Dell IPS the colours stay true the entire time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yvw4k1BxaJQA4P8y7

18. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That's a strange one on the AOC. Do you think it's your particular monitor that's got a fault, or a "special" feature of that model ?

Razgrad likes this.
  19. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

I am not sure mate, other things seem OK, but there are these odd interactions with the colours. Sometimes it's practically impossible to read light coloured letters against sky blue-ish background too.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

it has a 3 year manufacture warranty, easy enough to send back if required. Knowing Asus they tend to ship the new one as you send the old one back

boiled_elephant likes this.