1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 PS5 Live Event @ 9pm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by suenstar, 11 Jun 2020.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

In case anyone else is interested and hasn't been following the latest news, Sony should have their official PS5 reveal event going live around 9pm today.

Image of the console from the PS5 reveal:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully we'll get a bit of an idea about the price, some news about launch titles and a bit of the road map of things to come shared tonight.

I'm really looking forward to finding out what they're going to show off.

Edit: 4k stream from Gamespot:

Last edited: 16 Jun 2020
  2. suenstar

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Looks like something Microsoft would release, perhaps I am just equating a light coloured console to that though, hope it can go on its side.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just watched.

Was a bit bemused that the opener was GTA V enhanced....

Console, will have to see it in black on its side and give it a better look.

Can't say i'll get at launch, but I never do :)

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm sure Alex did a scratch build or 2 that looked pretty similar.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, the console looks like an artists impression of a futuristic Xbox360.

Not that I care, because I don't really do consoles. I mean, I have an Xbox One S under the TV in the lounge, but I've never used it - I got it cheap with a TV so I plugged it in thinking I might use it occasionally, even if only for BluRay HD movies. Nope. It could easily have been a PS4, which would have been ignored equally.

I think the kids have used it a couple of times, but they have their own Xbox one consoles - mainly, they just borrow the controller, or steal it's batteries.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Games - Meh

Console - Meh

...Meh

[​IMG]

Also a price was conspicuously absent.

8. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Why's it winking at me. If it was a mussel I'd discard it.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

{rant}
    If that's really the PS5's final design the mid life refresh is going to be coming in less than two years. Maybe less than one. It's a games console, it goes in the stack with the DVR, if it's not a black box it's not welcome.

Seriously, what have they been smoking? It's not even box shaped, it's got middle age spread. Nice to see they've learned nothing from the utter failure of the Xbone digital only version (less than 500'000 sold in 2019) and intend to release one themselves too. If nothing else it's nice to see the cycle continuing of the console brand that feels it 'won' the current generation ramming it's head up it's own arse as hard as it can for the next one. {/rant}

In all seriousness, I'm lookingat a new console this year since my PC is now banned from gaming. If this is Sony's effort the Xbox-X can only lose if Microsoft make it too expensive again. Of course if Namco announces Ace Combat 8 as a PS5 exclusive I'll be eating my words.

10. RedFlames

The also didn't learn from the not box-shaped and hard to stack PS3...

Plus, it's white. So even in the cleanest household it's probably gonna look pretty minging pretty quick.
    And those ear... wing... things are gonna snap off, esp if you've got kids.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Don't mind it personally, just thought if I had not seen it on the PS5 reveal I might have assumed it was the new xbox, the digital only version looks better due to lack of disc slot, they should have hidden that slot in the black region.

reckon £400 for digital and £500 for disc version.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2020
  12. RedFlames

450-500 and 550-600 respectively imo.

$599 has been doing the rounds on the rumour mill iirc

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Between the refusal of japanese developers to unequivocally commit to the Xbox and and all Xbox games being on PC (albeit gated behind the atrocious windows store) Sony knows it already has the console "war" in the bag anyway no matter what they do.

Edit:

Someone did a size comparison of them plastic boxes known as consoles...
    xyzzz.jpg

Not exactly what one would call compact.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2020
  14. suenstar

It definitely wasn't the best presentation, all of the interesting games had maybe 20-30 seconds of cinematic shown whilst the less interesting indie type games were given the bigger spotlight.
    I wasn't overly impressed with the design either, it's really not going to fit in with my media unit's style.

Out of the games shown most of my interest is in Spiderman 2, Kena, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Demon's Souls reboot and Ratchet and Clank 2.
    The one with the android girl on the moon and near the end also looked interesting but I'd need to know more about it.

Would have liked to see a bit more about the hardware and a glimpse of the updated home screen.

At the moment my estimate for the price is £549 for the full-fat console and between £450-499 for the digital only version.

Edit:
    The GTA5 opener baffled me too.
    When I first saw the Rockstar logo and heard the GTA music, I thought maybe a Liberty City Stories type follow-up to GTA5 to fill the gap until GTA6 was finished... but nope, just GTA 5 for the 8th or 9th platform.

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

At least the driveless PS5 is slimmer than the PS3.

I'm sure someone will quickly enough make feet to put it on it's side.
    D-Brand will make skins. People will paint the shell.

Also, Ratchet and Dr. Kleiner is all I could hear.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2020
  16. suenstar

It can already be placed on its side from the looks of it.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the inevitable iFixit strip down video to show one being taken apart, that'll hopefully show how easy it would be to dismantle that shell and give it a good matt black coating with an airbrush...

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I won't be getting one until it's both black and slim.

I was still surprised at the GTA V opener, I half expected a Skyrim for PS5 announcement.

The odd game here or there looked pretty but as i'm always a late adopter things have moved on a fair amount by the time I pick one up.

Digital only? Not for me thanks.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I like it, and will be pre-ordering as soon as it goes up. I've always waited several months from release to pick up a console so this will be a first.

Looks good to me, whilst I dream of a special rackmount edition of a console, I'm not deluded enough to think that will ever happen. I opted for a PS4 in white, and subsequently waited until the Pro was available in white as well - I guess I like the white controller? As last time I saw my PS4 was when I inserted a disc a month or so ago. I don't have the "issue" that it doesn't fit in with the rest of my kit since it's in a cupboard next door, but even if it wasn't, it would be mismatched anyway. I'd love all of my components to be standard width in a strict colour scheme, but it's just not feasible - even my black power amp is a mismatch for my black BD player, one being brushed alu and the other being gloss plastic - most mainstream audio/visual gear seems to be following the trend of smaller form factors, non-traditional designs etc.

I don't doubt that 6-12 months in once the initial demand of early adopters is met, there will be a "black edition" that will be no more than a colour swap to drum up more airtime.

I'm on the fence regarding digital vs disc edition... I'm buying most of my games digitally these days and would probably get on fine with the digital edition, that said I assume there are no lasting downsides to the physical aside from a higher up-front cost, so will opt for the physical. And if it's a decent UHD player and means I could flog my current one, then it more than pays for itself.

With the game showcases, I didn't really pay attention to them - presume that most were there to simply showcase the new console's graphical prowess, and it's a new console so I'm not going to ooh and aah because it looks shinier than the old one. I'm looking forward to Horizon most, and I'll get GT7 assuming it doesn't go all-in on multiplayer, and I'm sure there will be lots of other interesting games that crop up, but IMO too early to actually get excited about releases.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Between most physical games being significantly cheaper on amazon than the digital version on the PS store and the "free" blu ray player I just don't see the point of the digital version tbh.

20. suenstar

I don't mind the white colour, prefer it actually because most of my furniture is white.
    It's the weird curved design I'm not 100% sold on.
    My household is 100% digital, I've gotten rid of all physical games, films and music cds.
    Over the years I found that my ears have become extremely sensitive to the sounds of a disc spinning inside a dvd/blu-ray drive and I couldn't handle it anymore, so opted to bite the bullet and pay the digital premium... PC fans irritate my ears in a similar way but until we get better passive cooling options for high-end computers I have to just cope with noise cancelling headphones drowning it out as much as possible.

Need to do a massive clear out at some point as I have a whole heap of dvds, blu-rays and PS4 games that I no longer use.

Tags: