1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have long been saying that if they want to save money on production by doing limited runs, given the costs associated with molds I can see the point in doing it, then pre-production orders would be the fairest way of doing it. Time limit those orders for a month or two, get the money in, work out how many molds needed and then run the production and ship the sets out a couple of months later. Everyone who wants them gets them and they don't overspend on production.

Of course, limiting the number available to any one order would also be a good thing, but they've already shown that they don't give much of a care about the ethics of dealing with their fans, just that they sell lots as fast as possible.

I still want individual frames to be available through mail order though, like we used to be able to do.

liratheal likes this.
  2. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Papa Smurf was poisoned and put in stasis. Cawl of the mechanicus, after taking 10,000 years on the last task Rowboat gave him, turned up with magic armour and an Eldar witchy type. They sort of killed him and brought him back to life. The armour helped for a bit now he's fine.
    The Emps is stable, no change for a while. Still not quite dead or alive.
    There was a bunch of campaign book that have the recent history in.
    If you liked fantasy, there is bad news. If you're indiferent about it its 'meh' news. It got killed off and replaced by AoS. Simplified rules, fairly enjoyable. Millions of elves.

liratheal and MadGinga like this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Thanks for the summary!

I miss my dwarves :(

4. Almightyrastus

And everything got a name change...

No more "Dwarves", now they are "Duardin" and there are 3 different types including some steampunk fly boys.

MadGinga likes this.
  5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Well then they can F right off then cant they?!
    Can't say that I've seen any fantasy miniatures that I like recently; the gyrocopters are an abomination...

6. Almightyrastus

Oh, and to build off that last post, orcs are now Orruks, Giants = Gargants, Ogres = Ogors, Elves = Aelves, Trolls = Troggoths, Lizardmen = Seraphon.

There are some fun models in the fantasy stuff still, the new goblin (Gloomspite Gitz) range has some fun stuff, something that I feel has been sadly lacking in GW's recent offerings, everything has been all serious all war all the time can't have fun just fight sort of stuff.

MadGinga likes this.
  7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah GW have been on abit of a warpath recently regarding names, basically because the older terms are too generic for them to hold the copyright to the name

Almightyrastus likes this.
  8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Aye, that has what it takes to be my favourite chaplain.

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

the thing is i REALLY want to hate the Primaris stuff for making the Vanilla marines obselete...

but Dang if it doesnt look good, ( though reports are that basically everything is monopose )

12. liratheal

I can definitely understand the distaste for Primaris.

I think I'd get on board with the distaste if "normal" marines were made obsolete. Which is something I can see GW doing at some stage.

I'd wager a couple of years of fluff and better rules, and the new normal will be Primaris. Then I'd expect GW to relegate the then classic marines to the history books.

For me it's nice to see updates to the Marine line when previously the updates were... "Here's the same models but now in twenty parts instead of six!" with only, really, the advances in production providing the means to make stuff look cleaner. An advance in the fluff, something I've no doubt been banging on for years about, and that being reflected in the changing models is cool. IMO.

13. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Wow it looks like the box is sold out at darksphere already.

I guess I'll have to buy from GW to be safer about getting one.

14. Almightyrastus

I have to admit that I have been really enjoying the Primaris stuff thus far. I still think the they should be completely modular with any arms fitting any body and any legs and so on, but the fact that arms, heads, shoulders, and associated gubbins can fit with them from the older range is awesome. Combining the new sizes with parts from things like the Sternguard kit has led to some very cool and ornate possibilities.

I do kinda miss the "standard" marine things like a devastator squad or jump packs, as well as the range of vehicles (never been clear why a Landraider can transport terminators but not intercessors...).

I am also not a huge fan of the limitations on equipment carry that we are seeing in comparison to the previous range, but hey, seeing as I don't play, I shall carry on building what I like (even if that does mean having to explain myself for the 9001st time to some neckbeard on a FB group...).

15. liratheal

From a modelling perspective the new stuff is great, aye, but it does feel a little like gw realised the only way to sell new marines is make the old ones basically obsolete in rules.

16. Almightyrastus

I can see why they did that in one regard. Marines kept getting heavier and heavier in regards to their loadouts, things like the centurions, siege tanks, longer range guns and so on meant that the marines were becoming less and less maneuverable, plus larger forces were going against what they have always wanted for them, a fast moving and elite almost commando type of force. Hence the change in everything hence things like the phobos armour and the Reavers.

Personally I would have beefed them up even more and done things like restrict squad size whilst increasing power level or points cost, but that's why I'm an engineer and not a salesman...

liratheal likes this.
  17. liratheal

I'd love an official version of the "movie marines" rules. Optional, of course, but making marines as ridiculous as the fluff paints them.

Also, interestingly, I was looking up whether there'd been a confirmation of price anywhere and I ended up on a Warhammer community post that said they were limiting it to 3 per customer. I wonder how many Aaron, Baron, Caron, Daron, type orders to the same address they're gonna get.

18. Almightyrastus

Yeah, 3 per order apparently. It was originally 6 per order, but they actually listened. It'll still be all over ebay by 10:05 tomorrow morning... Prices have been rumoured to be around £125, but everyone is keeping quiet, even the local Warhammer store pages are ignoring the price questions.

I would love some official or even updated Movie Marines rules. I might even have a crack at playing again with those. Just to be able to have a squad standing there and mowing through hordes as you see in the images and animations would be awesome.

As for other stuff, I am still wondering if we will see anything the likes of Terminators again. I know that there is the Gravis armoured stuff, but they ain't the same. What I would like is an updated terminator suit that had different saving throws from front and rear to reflect the frontal assault on space hulks sort of thing. No penalties for moving and firing anything that they are equipped with, but maybe reduced movement.

liratheal likes this.
  19. liratheal

Yeah, I'm betting 120-150 in GBP, €160-180 and $200+

Any more than that and I definitely won't be interested. Although at the moment it's more "ehhhh,maybe,possibly,ehhh".

20. Almightyrastus

I won't be getting a copy at all. Not interested in the rules and stuff, not that bothered about the Necrons (might grab a model or two), and the marine characters are about the only bits I want from that side, especially the Justicar and the Captain.

liratheal likes this.