1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Tempted by a new tv...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 17 Jun 2020.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi all,
    As above, due to starting to try to get some blu rays, and from a couple of comments from the OH, tempted to upgrade my TV.

At the moment we have a Sony Bravia KDL40WD653 that I got just over 4 years ago apparently. It's not amazing but does the job fine.

Wouldn't be looking for a pricey upgrade, definitely sub £500 but I happened to have a quick look after seeing the recent AV thread and saw you can get a 4k 50" for under £300! With various 'smart' features, HDR etc which I've not looked into at all but I guess I'm just surprised at how far things have come on, and was wondering whether getting a 'cheap' TV would be worth it?

e.g. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3448504

Not sure what I'd be able to get for mine, I'll pop a thread in the marketplace.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think LTT did a video a little while ago comparing low cost TV's, they were more 32"-42" if memory serves, but was still a good video to highligh what you get for the money.

Also this 50" for £300 or this 55" for £329. They all come with 5 year warrenties too.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2020
  3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Something to consider with 4K is the lack of content, will you be getting 4k content online? Most 4k content films to make use of the TV are going to be circa 50+GB!!

4. GeorgeStorm

Yeah exactly is tempting!

It's not so much for the 4k, but the bigger screen and potentially better picture/sound (due to being newer more than anything). Also I guessed most new TVs are 4k rather than 1080p nowadays, and doesn't seem very forward thinking to buy another 1080p screen now unless you get a lot more bang for your buck.

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

4years and your OH is prompting an upgrade?! You lucky SoaB! Mines 9years and any noises about a new TV are always met with "but this one still works, why do we need a new one?" :(

adidan likes this.
  6. GeorgeStorm

Well there's been the odd comment about how it could be bigger, the room it's in now is bigger than the room I bought it for.

It's not so much for TV/films etc, but when we play games the UI can often be a little on the small side.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Plenty of 4k content is you use streaming services or sky, it is rare that I am not watching UHD stuffs.

If its for gaming you want to make sure latency is not high, that Roku sounds fairly decent for the money, another on the lower end the Samsung ru7020s seem to do the business I think its around 10ms, I have been looking at similar for my daughters room.

Regarding size, we had a 46 for ages, it was a bit small for the room in the new house IMO, the missus wouldn't upgrade, we didn't need it, which is true, no one needs a TV, but I wanted bigger, I convinced her that we should get the next step up in size at 50ish, came home with a 65, she was none the wiser :D had a few comments early on that it was too big and I should take it back but after things settled down she said 'we probably could have got the bigger '65' damn it I should have got the 77" :D

8. GeorgeStorm

Don't think we pay for any 4k streaming service but not fussed anyway at the moment, OH has the option of BR and still would default to streaming despite the huge quality difference :D.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem a) because I'm not sure I even checked the latency of the one I've got b) don't tend to play anything fast paced.

I'll have more of a look today and try to read some reviews etc but I think the Hisense is the current leader.

9. veato

veato I should be working

When I got a new TV I was told I wasn't allowed one too big. Had a 42 so agreed on a 49. but the thing is the old TV had a huge bezel and the new one doesn't have one at all so, even though the screen size is bigger, the overall TV size is barely any different. That and once it was in for a while the wife commented how it's not that big/could have gotten a bigger one. God dammit woman!

adidan likes this.