1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It suits my tastes.
    My wallet also, living within 10 miles of the brewery gives me free delivery :clap:

IanW, MadGinga and Byron C like this.
  2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

MSI GS75 NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super, 16GB, 17.3" 300hz FHD, i9-10980HK Gaming Laptop, probably should of waited for the new Ryzen but heyho.
    [​IMG]

Kanto YU6 Powered Bookshelf Speakers with Bluetooth® and Phono Preamp, 5.25" Kevlar Driver, 200W Peak Power, Gloss White
    [​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  3. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

hi buddy yeah i bought filmic pro and open camera, i have also used a usb sound card on the pc and its just not what i was expecting.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Kanto 250W 8 Inch Powered Subwoofer - Matte White
    [​IMG]

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've been in the queue for a Remarkable 2 E-Ink tablet thing for a while, but got the news it's been pushed to the end of September. So, figuring I've got a bit of spare dosh for a change and it's a business expense anyway, I picked up the original:

Figured I could try this for a while, and if I don't get on with the ecosystem I can just cancel the Remarkable 2 order for a full refund.

Enjoying it so far. It's running a custom, hacked-together Busybox-based Linux distro in which everything runs as root(!), but by 'eck does it get the most out of the specs. There's only 512MB of RAM in there, but it displays heavy PDF files from The Internet Archive more quickly than my desktop with 16GB. The handwriting recognition works even with my terrible chicken-scrawl, or you can pull PDFs straight off it.

The downsides: there's no first-party Linux software, but I'm making do with a combination of a beta-status web interface running directly on the device and a command-line tool which pushes larger PDF files the web interface won't touch; for some reason it defaults to the mechanical pencil nib rather than the more useful to me ballpoint nib and you can't change that; you also can't change the default display settings for EPUB files, which default to sans-serif(!); and while you can annotate a PDF, there doesn't appear to be any way to quickly find your annotations again afterwards - other than pulling up the page overview and visually hunting for them. Just a little (*) or something next to the page number, that's all it'd need.

Also, this:

I'd love the hand-written first edition, or even the 1975 update, but they're about £500. I've been looking for one for years, and this 1988 revised edition came up for £17 - which is about £100 cheaper than I've ever seen before. Yoink!

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I put in an order pretty much as soon as it was available to pre-order. Manufacturing issues meant it took about 5 months to get.

Been through thick and thin for me and never let me down. A few close calls, but such a great piece of equipment. I never go anywhere for work without it.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

£100 worth of Venetian blinds, no photos because well, its boring blinds.

8. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good to know they can go the distance and are rugged long term, I've been happy with mine and had a couple of close calls. The worst was it stuck downwind, low battery over water...

I carried on downwind onto waste ground and landed it safely there to recover on foot.

Here's why I had to by one the other week:

[​IMG]

Yes, the final point is the one towards the right of the frame IN the water.

Looking for a calm morning to go to the beach again, but am a little wary of the water. I won't be flying over it so low in future.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Given the distance from the beach and the, pretty shallow, depth... Couldn't you have dived in to retrieve it? Unless I'm missing something here. Like killer sharks.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then I'll shut up and get back in my box :grin:

12. Arboreal

We tried...

My friend went straight in the water and looked, but I think it was further out that we thought, judging by eye.

I went back that evening and swam with a mask and snorkel for 40 mins, and had no luck.

The sand was stirred up by the current and the visibility deeper than 2m wasn't great. We also did an overfly survey with my friend's drone, but nothing visible.

13. legoman

Cant tell but is that Boscombe of Southcombe beach? May have to time your hunting for the tide being out as you'll have more chance.

14. Arboreal

Thanks @legoman, neither as it happens! It's Avon Beach, just East of Mudeford

I could do with a sunny low tide and no swell or current at slack water before the tide changes...

It may come to light later on. My name is in it; as I have an unusual name, it may come back.

15. legoman

Ah haha, can see my thinking, was going on the tag on the image.

Should be calm in the week may even get dragged up by the tide.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I always keep my warning to the 30% marker, as that allows me to punch it back to home in Sport Mode if needed.

I suffered a close call a few months ago. Day was a little breezy, but nothing out of the ordinary for close range shots (within 300m of launch, which is the legal limit too), but out of nowhere, storm-force winds and some rain kicked in! I had the Mavic in sport mode, flying forward at max throttle and it was blown backwards 1.1Km! I managed to stabilise it, and then tried to land it in the green of a housing estate. As soon as I went below the roofs of the houses, I lost signal and it tried to come home. Thankfully, I got control again and kept it at roof-level and used the buildings as a wind break. Landed with 3% battery... Down from 100% in 8 minutes.

Still got my photos for work.

17. Arboreal

Eeeek! That really was a squeaky bum moment. The stuff of nightmares and crunched Mavics.

Professional to the last, like to see that! Are the flying regs and commercial qualifications more straightforward over there? Ours are a mess with the adoption (or not...) and delay to the EASA regs

An ex work colleague was telling me that he used to fly a friend's Inspire 1 until the owner landed in the sea, and it disappeared without a trace. That was after it had been rebuilt after a high speed flyaway into a large tree trunk :(

18. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

not at all..... i googled to find that out, thanks for looking out :)

19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Decided to switch back to Ryzen with a view to upgrade to the new Zen 3 CPU's when released. Coming from the 7980XE I couldn't really go for anything less than the 16 core... (honestly I should have probably just moved to this way back when I first had the 3900X but hey ho... had some real fun with the Intel chip).

[​IMG]

I like the no RGB aesthetic on the board:

[​IMG]

Went with the Unify for a few reasons:

- No puke level RGB on board
    - Very strong VRM (board is literally the ACE minus 1GB Intel LAN (but gains Wifi 6 I believe), Heatpipe from VRM to Chipset (fan hasn't turned on once yet...) and RGB plastic crap.
    - 3 x NVME directly on the board (looking at you Crosshair VIII..)
    - Same functional layout as the X299 Pro it replaces - meaning I had to do very little re cabling... well if you ignore the 12v RGB header (all set to white) being at literal opposite corners... AND the fact I had to completely rebuild my Water cooling loop as the IO shroud is ~ 2mm taller.... ****!!!
    - Corsair RGB header for my XC-7 block

Now I just have to sell the 7980XE instead of thinking up excuses to keep it.. :worried:

20. walle

walle Minimodder

Two surge protectors