1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Now now, just because the tablecloth is from the Dahmer Heritage Collection and the haunted pencil uses it for weird masturbation rituals totally doesn't mean...

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, thanks. Now I have to wash my brain in bleach.

edzieba likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Never thought i'd see the day you'd take Trump's advice.

edzieba, Nexxo and Pete J like this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...but does it make you free?

5. oscy

oscy Modder

Two households can meet indoors, but stay 2m apart or the police will break down your door. Or at least stay 1m apart. Or 2m.

Look just do what you've been doing anyway and we'll pretend that was the plan all along.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

HMG has given up even pretending to try at this point... it's pretty much '**** it, do whatever... bored now... if you die, you die...' [some would argue that's been their mentality all along]

7. oscy

oscy Modder

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Quite.

Out of our NCT group 5/8 couples are disobeying the rules and openly admitting it. I'd love to know what percentage of people actually obeyed the rules at each stage.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I've adhered 100% (only exploiting the loophole of being able to buy non essential stuff at Supermarkets).

But to be fair, living alone and being a loner to begin with made it quite easy.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

If you were a betting man, what percentage of the population would you reckon can say the same?

11. oscy

oscy Modder

My personal experience is that several of my girlfriend's workmates were seeing their loved ones from the start, as were neighbours. We only started seeing each other when the lockdown rules got Cummings stains all over it. Boris immediately allowed household (er I mean 'garden') visits a few days later and that was the end of lockdown.

I completely speculate...

First few weeks = 1 in 10 to 1 in 5 adults broke them. (Most kids openly hung out outside and went round their boy/girlfriend's though.)

First big update from fist-bashing Boris = After Boris didn't say anything about families (just cinemas and benches), disillusionment means a trickle starts regarding household rules, but masses go outdoors in sunny weather anyway.

Next update saying people have to go back to work with other households, teachers with other people's children, but it's 'too risky' to see your families = Floodgates open as the contradiction and lack of logic exposes the real intention of making money over saving lives.

Think this was also when the police said distancing wasn't law and you'll only be punished (asked nicely to move along) if caught in the act anyway, so what's left to enforce?

Cummings breaking the rules / law = Lockdown officially ends. Boris lets people go round each others' gardens, which is code for "you can now see loved ones in their homes".

Now = As government guidelines are mistrusted and inaccurate, 90%+ of people now use 'common sense' and their own personal rules.

With all we've learnt with this tutorial armageddon, I wonder how many more people from the start will hoard and just follow their own rules when a really deadly virus appears next time?

spolsh likes this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I partially prefer lockdown to non lockdown tbh. The exact same apart from I have zero social obligations and can stick to talking to people I actually want to.

adidan and edzieba like this.
  13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I feel cheated out of lockdown. Being paid 80% (which with travel removed, would make my take-home pay higher) to stay at home, make stuff, play games, and avoid exposure to pollen and other people? Bloody heaven!

adidan and Arboreal like this.
  14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's the people on furlough that moan about being bored that **** me off. By all means gloat about it but I don't see how anyone can complain about being bored.

15. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

This. I'm the only one of my siblings that hasn't been furloughed, I'd happily swap with them. Stupid IT jobs :sigh:

MLyons likes this.
  16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Same here!

My brother in law was put on furlough straight away and he has been moaning for the last month about how bored he is etc, I told him come do my job for me and I will have months off work paid for at 80% of my wage.

I just get annoyed when people say they are stuggling with boredom because of it, and I am here working 5 days a week from 7am to 5pm and even at time working weekends as well.

I wish I could just shut my work laptop for a month and not work and still get paid but you know some of us have no choice but to still work because our work is capable of being done from home easily.

The thing about my brother in law though that really annoys me, is that he started work again on Monday and was sent home because the company didn't do something that they should have done and he moaned about being sent home, then yesterday moaned that he wasn't sent home because it meant he had to actually work for his wages.

GRRR honestly some people really annoy me!

MLyons likes this.
  17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Whilst I'm aware I'm lucky I've still got a job, definitely wouldn't have minded/wouldn't mind a month or two at 80%, feel like I'd be able to get a lot of stuff done!

MLyons likes this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My wife and I have and continue to do so but, I have had chest problems in the past, including pneumonia and usually take chest infections badly and my wife, though in good health, is 71, so it would be stupid not be careful.

MLyons likes this.
  19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

20 -25% at a stretch? Tbh I've heard of quite a few who basically interpreted lockdown rules as just "don't go visit Grandma for a while".

Shows what a horrible work / life balance many people have if taking away their job temporarily makes them unable to cope...

ElThomsono likes this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

They just don't seem to understand, the economy can recover, dead people cannot.

edzieba likes this.