1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Good question, I know last season for Bottas there was a lot going on behind the scenes he was going through a divorce etc so he could have been doing that, would make sense tactically as he would have been aware Hamilton got the 5's penalty so closer he can get him to the pack the better.

Also handily covered Hamilton off from getting that extra point for fastest lap as Hamilton couldn't push in the turbulent air from Bottas, just no one expected Norris to chuck in a quali lap at the end, well bar probably his engineer.
    I guess they saw what could be developing so thought sod it go for it!

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Looks like Ferrari are panicking a bit -

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

With Ferrari saying they're losing 0.7 seconds on the straights to Merc, and Leclerc confirming (on the radio) that they have a straight line disadvantage, I am not surprised by them trying to rush out parts.
    That said, we have seen teams operate with low numbers of spares before, and it often doesn't go well for them.

I have a feeling that now that everyone has their legs back, the order will shuffle around a little bit this weekend.
    For one, Albon will get his motivation tested.
    Bottas will have to work to stay ahead of Lewis.
    Hopefully Merc, Renault, Haas, etc will have their gremlins sorted, and we can have another cracking race.

4. RedFlames

But... why?

That's probably Vettel's career over now though.

Spanky likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Silver linings an all that

enbydee likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

QFT

7. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Wonder if the delayed regulation changes meant they were interested in having a driver with his talent help develop the team/new car next season, like Schumacher did at Mercedes. Otherwise with the talent fighting to get a drive it does seem a little odd.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The why is easy.

Alonso doesn't feel done with F1, he doesn't seem to be past it either.
    Renault need a big name driver to get some sponsorship.
    With the budget cap in effect next year they can afford it.
    2022 is going to be a bunfight, between the budget cap, skewed development limits and the massive rule change every midfield team will be feeling like they're in with a shout.

I still wouldn't bet against Mercedes overall but it will be much closer race to race than it has been in the last few years.

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Didn't F1 promise to pay a chunk of his Salary, so from Renault's perspective that's a world class talent for midfield prices.

As to why Alonso wants to come back. Who knows? Unfinished business or just for shits n giggles (it would be difficult to turn down racing in F1 for anyone)

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Jeez, there's a headline I thought I'd never see.

But I guess it makes sense. F1 paycheck for two years, sponsorship income probably goes up, his own brand gets exposure at the pinnacle of motorsports once again, and he's not crawling round the back like he did at McL -- even if Renault isn't a huge step up.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm more interested in watching Alonso than most of the field, so can understand the draw, assuming he hasn't lost that fighting spirit of course.

12. RedFlames

Tbh I thought Alonso had committed fully to not winning the Indy 500/Triple Crown

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Which makes the timing of the announcement kind of funny as McLaren currently looks quite a bit ahead of Renault.. (yes, I know that can change a lot by the time he actually sits in a car but still)

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I like the idea from an armchair perspective of Alonso coming back. Renault and himself must both be getting something out of it from a commercial side / development or why bother? Theres plenty in the young driver program to fill the spot so must be a justified reason , couldn't see him coming back just to run in the midfield all the time ..

I think Riccardo got the most out of the car every time hes racing and from what i can see Mclaren clearly have the advantage right now over Renault. I remember when it was announced that Hamilton was going to Merc ... i just didnt get it .. i thought the Mclaren was way the better team so from an armchair prospective we know nothing really ..

If nothing else hes a racer and will put on a good show.

15. RedFlames

So, now Vettel is almost certainly without a drive next year, where do you think he'll end up?

He could pundit for sky, he certainly has the lack of personality for it.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Today's Renault is a huge step forward from the McL Alonso left behind, even if the new McL is ahead of both.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Sitting in his garden in Switzerland, playing with his kids. I reckon if he doesn't get a good drive he'll get a serious case of the Rosbergs and find retirement agrees with him.

18. RedFlames

So, as i said...

19. RedFlames

20. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Having realised their engine sucks Ferrari ask to host a race at their test track?

David likes this.