1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Thermal Imaging - The Want is Strong

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Jul 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Biggest problem you're going to have there is the same problem I have: it ain't the choice of camera, but figuring out how best to deal with differing thermal emissivity and reflectivity across the multi-material surface of a PCB. Otherwise you'll have a pretty picture with absolutely no usable data behind it.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, we just use Flir camera for that. They're basically the best in the industry.
    I let the nice gentleman with the Phd deal with those problems :p One was is to use multiple cameras at different angles, that overcomes the reflectivity, but you need some fairly complicated software to map it out. Or structure you're enviroment to limit emmission sources, then you'll have less reflections.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ghetto solution: spray everything with grey primer. Or if you need to use it afterwards, dust liberally with talc (also good for structured light scanning, meatbags tend to complain if you want to paint them grey). Doesn't play as nicely with the IR + vis composite trick unless you do your visible light photo first and manually realign for the composite afterwards.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Depends on what its made from, some will be nearly transprent and others highly reflective.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've found a midpoint between "paint it" and "dust it": Crack Detector Developer. It's basically a slurry of zinc oxide in naphtha. Spray it on, the naphtha evaporates, leaves a coating of zinc oxide behind - and you can wash the zinc oxide off afterwards with isoprop and a bit of elbow grease. You never quite get it out of *every* nook and cranny, but it's good enough!

Bloody_Pete, edzieba and Arboreal like this.
  6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ooh, that sounds like a good alternative to zinc-rich 'weld through' primer!

7. Gareth Halfacree

That was quick:

Postage is saying 1-8 weeks, mind, so it could still be a while before it's in my sweaty mitts.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What are you making? I use PCBway is they so cheap its ridiculous!

9. Gareth Halfacree

edzieba and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oh awesome,I'll have to keep them in mind!

11. Gareth Halfacree

3D doodad shipped - let's hope the delivery is closer to the one-week estimate than the eight-week estimate!

Arboreal likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Doodad get!

[​IMG]

Going to pull out the camera and give it a whirl now. Fingers crossed I don't end up accidentally unscrewing the whole lens assembly!

EDIT:
    It's a little fiddly - has a tendency to pop out of the lens assembly, and adjustment is pretty stiff (presumably deliberately so, given it's not actually supposed to be adjustable outside a factory setting) - but it definitely works.

Remember this?

[​IMG]

Well, that now looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Bit of an improvement, I'd say!

(It's a slightly unfair comparison, 'cos I've washed the gunk off the Pi Zero since the first picture. The metal bits are false detail from reflection and different emissivity, but you can see from the mounting holes and the GPIO pins that there's also a real difference in clarity.)

Cheers, @edzieba - now I just need to work out why it's started having trouble with its USB connection since last time it was out of the box...

Last edited: 19 Jun 2020
    edzieba and Arboreal like this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

A quick test of blending with a visible-light image:

[​IMG]

Needed a bit of fiddling 'cos it's quite sensitive to different heights, and the finished result is very quick and dirty - it's the default iron palette rather than my preferred high-contrast rainbow and the board under the camera was, again, not treated, plus I didn't remove the shadow from the bottom of the board - but it proves the concept: I can indeed use the thing instead of the C2 for overview stuff.

It's still struggling a bit with USB connectivity, for some reason - keeps disconnecting and reconnecting itself. I'm sure it wasn't doing that last time I was using it. That's unrelated to the lens-focusing games, mind you!

Arboreal, MLyons, David and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Windows or Linux? We've had loads of problems with linux drivers for Flir stuff over the years!

15. Gareth Halfacree

Linux, but without any drivers installed (well, without any third-party drivers: both the cameras I've got just expose themselves as a USB Mass Storage Device and a V4L-compatible webcam.)

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks for the update GH, I was wondering yesterday how you'd got on with the mod.
    Interesting stuff, good result too!

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

I'm actually writing this up now, so I needed better comparison shots - which means getting out the crack detector and spray-painting a Pi.

Before doodad:

FLIR0011.jpg

After doodad:

FLIR0014.jpg

Ta-da!

EDIT: Oh, and whatever was up with the USB connection seems to have resolved itself, 'cos it's staying connected nicely now.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I love thermal images, I keep forgetting to grab my works one so I can investigate my PC with it!

19. Gareth Halfacree

After doodad *and* post-processing. Purty!

flirets320-raspberrypi4-focusadjusted-small.jpg

20. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, and by way of comparison here's a similar shot - different scale, though - taken on the FLIR C2.

raspberrypi4-thermal-idle-updatedfirmware.jpg
    You can really see the extra resolution on the ETS320: there are individual header holes instead of a single grouped lump, the outer edge hugs a lot more closely especially where the ports and microSD are, the mounting holes are more detailed...

That's what going from 80x60 to 320x240 does for you!

Arboreal likes this.