1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build Front I/O

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GalK, 7 Jul 2020.

1. GalK

GalK What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,
    I'm about to start a new scratch build, waiting on next gen Nvidia and Ryzen.
    I'm trying to figure out how to make my front I/O, nothing fancy, power button, USB A and USB c.
    I could use a momentary vandal switch and some Internal to external USB cables, but I'm looking for somthing with a higher quality finish. My best idea so far is cannibalizing a cheep case, but that seems expensive and wasteful.

anyone know of a place that sells essentially a front panel assembly?

Thanks!

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Sometimes you can find front IO sold separately as they occasionally break anyway.
    Corsair sells some.

3. GalK

GalK What's a Dremel?

Thanks,
    I have seen Corsairs stuff, they mostly have replacement parts for old cases. So no USB 3.2, and no cover panels.
    I'm probably going to end up biting the bullet and milling a cover plate + had finishing it.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I once butchered a 4-port 5.25" USB 3 input bay and made my own front surround for the ports from acrylic for a project. I had to surface mount it in the end, so it just clipped onto the case (scratch build) around the ports via small magnets - wasn't rock solid, but did its job. Then drilled holes for headphone/mic extension sockets - the wires and pins/sockets for these are easily sourced from the 'bay, but need some soldering to the socket wires - and used a momentary open switch for power and reset (hold it down for 5 secs to reset).

Might give you some ideas...?

EDIT: just looked at the Corsair stuff. For a tenner, it does seem like they have some neat solutions there, if the aesthetics fit your theme.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git