1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Super Ultrawide - Refresh rates/what to be cautious of

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeadP1xels, 8 Jul 2020.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Hi folks,

A few months back I splashed out on a 34" Iiyama Pro Lite monitor (3440x1440) to replace my dual 27/24" Samsung Business monitors.

This display rocks... I've loved using it from the moment I opened the box. problem is one of my requirements for the upgrade was more screen real estate and not going triple monitors. I've certainly gained additional vertical pixels but I'm not gaining anything horizontally from the change. I've been milling over what to do about it from adding a secondary display, adding a second 34 or going Super UltraWide.

Super-Ultrawide is the most expensive of the solutions but I've come to love the single monitor solution and having spent a while researching it I've come across two displays I think may fit the bill

Phillips 499P9H - The cheaper of the 49" while giving the nice 1800R curve radius 5120x1440 resolution but its only 60Hz.

Samsung CRG90 - 1800R curve radius, 5120x1440, 120Hz but its £150 more expensive. Visually I like this monitor better and I've had previous good experience with Samsung but I could do a lot with £150

My requirements
    I don't really game, I haven't gamed in many years and even then it was casual at best. I do understand to rock one of these monitors and game will require a beefy GPU but for right now its a question of productivity and screen real estate.

However, I don't want to rule out the possibility of one day building a machine to do some casual gaming so I am considering making sure I'm future proofed.

The Samsung is touted as the gaming ultrawide because of the 120Hz frame rate but is that really important for someone who at best would be using it very rarely for casual gaming? would I regret going for the 60Hz display in the long run?

I'd really be intrested on hearing peoples experiences with super ultrawide displays and what I should potentially be cautious about when looking to shell out at least £1k on a display!

I'd probably be intending on purchasing one towards the end of the year

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

10 years ago 120hz was only for super serious gamers, anyone who plays on a bog standard tv/monitor is on 60(ish)hz.

Unless you're very keen into fast paced games (fps games where every millisecond matters when reacting etc) I don't think you'll care about the 60 vs 120hz angle.

3. DeadP1xels

Ahhhh I suspected as much... that helps!

4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

FWIW I have the Dell that is the very close cousin of the Phillips and I'm very happy. Yes, we could do with more than 60Hz, but it's not like 60Hz is lacking at all. 120Hz is just...more.

[​IMG]

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Have you seen that New Samsung G9 with the 1000R curve? Oh my that looks tasty, if so very very expensive...

Fizzban likes this.
  6. DeadP1xels

I figured as much, how do you find using it day to day? Could you see yourself going back to Multi monitor?

I have... It looks incredible and I have been contemplating it a lot but it’s a few hundred smackers more than the crg90 and even that will be a hard push to justify to myself let alone my partner!

It’s sort of the reason I wanted to hold fire until the end of the year but I’m more drawn to it’s aesthetic than anything else which is never a good reason to part with money!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I say valuing things on beauty is fine, its half the reason we're all here after all!

Fizzban and hamza_tm like this.
  8. DeadP1xels

Sooooo you’re saying buy the shiny thing?

Got it!

What I like about the G9 is despite never really liking white tech it looks sliiick! Futuristic slick. I’d actively try position it so you can spy some of the rear. It’s a piece of architecture In itself

what worries me Is having it would make the rest of my house look old and redundant...

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

as someone spent years on 60hz monitors (dell 2405fpw still rocking from 2005 and hp zr30w from 2008) and who recently got a 27" 144hz monitor for gaming alone the extra hertz will be very noticeable specially in fps and racing games id go for the Samsung

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You can get a 240HZ full HD QLED panel now. It's like money though. So much. 1700 of the shiny things.

Yes..that.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

like this, ironically white is the new sexy! But I agree with you, I'd love it for work, as then I'd be able to see the rear! And the LED RGB is so subtle and lovely!

12. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I love it day to day. It definitely needs a tiling manager (I'm using gtile) but it's great. I went from 2 Dell U2311H (so that's 2x 1920x1080) and I like the extra space. Sometimes the middle bezel was actually a good thing but I prefer it gone more than I miss it. I've got gtile set up to divide the screen into fifths as I find that there's enough room to do 5 things side by side if you really want but I'll often give a program two fifths for more room.

I don't think I'd go back to multi monitor.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I am the biggest refresh rate and input lag snob you could imagine... but I have to be honest, I used 120Hz at home and 60Hz at work for years and was actually fine switching between them. Even gamed on 60Hz with coworkers and it was honestly not an issue. It was a Dell U2412 or similar.

But when I was using a 75Hz IPS Aoc (2560x1440 31.5”) at home it was so blurry it made my eyes hurt. Great In windows. Terrible in FPS games. Couldn’t stand it. So I’m gonna say it depends on the panel.

Bloody_Pete likes this.