1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Job: Warehouse engineer
    Wage: £42k plus overtime at double, max: think the senior manager is on about £80k
    Bonus: Christmas and attendance bonus (seriously)
    Satisfaction: Not been here long but yeah it's ok

Started 3 months ago, working for a very well known UK/Europe sports fashion goods retailer in their main distribution warehouse. Previous to this I was (and could still go back to) an engineering officer in the merchant navy, risen to chief engineer, so why the change? Hours were obscene, didn't see my family for 8 months of the year and the stress was incredible; realised I didn't need all the bad that came with the job and it was more than worth taking a paycut to be back on land. Should have done it years ago tbh.

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Job: Homeless rehousing support worker
    Wage: £18k ish
    Bonus: None
    Satisfaction: Almost nil

Been in the job coming upto 5 years now. My job is running a 10 bed hostel with one other similar level colleague and getting the homeless people in our hostel into their own home.
    Getting pretty sick the job if im honest. Moving people on is slowing down almost to a grinding halt, it was slow before but covid has made it even worse.
    So the residents get frustrated, and because we are the only ones there they often take it out on us even though we do all we can for them.
    If i was just a support worker, as per my job spec it wouldn't be so bad but i also have to take on the role of an unskilled therapist, mediator, health and safety officer, security guard, cleaner.
    And as more time goes on, more and more paperwork is added for no good reason and i get more responsibilities for next to minimum wage.
    Oh and my team is on its 4th manager in a year...

With the residents, iv met some great people and loved getting them a home. Others quite frankly need a kick up the arse.
    So as you can tell my heart isnt in it anymore, but im in the final stage of becoming a Openreach engineer trainee which will almost double my wage for the same hours. Really hope i get it.

Jesus christ, if i could of told past me what to do! **** college off and just get into work asap. What a waste of time that was.
    I had 4 years of been on the dole from college. grim.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2020
    goldstar0011 likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This was in 2010... I didn't leave "there" until 2017 :lol:.

I spent a lot of time working at "that place". I got comfortable - very comfortable... Would I change any of it though, if I could? I very much doubt it.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Sweet lord!
    10 years ago

Current job - Head of stock for the Sales department
    Salary - £26500 - I get alot of free food too, been years since I bought proteins from a shop
    Is it worth it?
    I started on return from the new role a heart attack Nov 2019, no payrise (lets get you going and talk money MD said), got to March, Covid hits so no normal pay rises in April, as of now making redunduncies in the sales team as expected so can't talk money, yet my job and workload aren't really affected buy drop in sales, I still am managing stocks, Brexit, a new system from our Amercian overlords and general supporting people who can't do things. So is it worth it, yes I love the work but not for the salary.

See you all here in 10 years again :hehe:

deathtaker27, Otis1337 and MLyons like this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Job: Senior Business Transformation Manager
    Wage: £££
    Bonus: up to 15%, shares, swag
    Satisfaction: A lot

My company (medical devices) was brought by a large American company almost 2 years ago. I officially joined the American company in April this year on a four year program.

My role is leading a scrum team as product owner for the implementation of SAP. We are moving from a heavily customised 20yr old ECC version to the new S4 platform.

My area is “planning”, covering forecasting, supply chain planning and manufacturing planning. I have to combine technical system understanding, business process, change management, project management, system integrators management, people and management management. I basically spend 8-12 hours each day on the phone managing stuff or managing other people.

I love it, but it’s a lot of work, especially operating in an agile framework working remotely.

MLyons likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You have my condolences...

:grin:

To be fair, SAP wasn't the problem at 'that place', it was the project management around it...

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yeah, I’m not a SAP expert (I have SI resources for that). I have worked with various ERP systems (Oracle, SAP, AS400, JDE, etc) and it’s normally the understanding requirements (or lack of them), people’s willingness to change (or lack of it) and PMO’s best efforts (or lack of them) that causes the issues.

It’s a fun place to be

Last edited: 4 Nov 2020
  8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Can't believe it's already another two years since I last posted here... how time flies! (Well, 2020 has flown for most of us, I'm sure).

Jobbie: Concept Artist / Concept Designer / Illustrator
    Salary: on a scale
    Bonus: yes
    Job Satisfaction: still awesome - it's such a difficult job but extremely rewarding when things go right.

We are currently working on an adventure / puzzle game which is scheduled to be released on Switch in April.

Byron C and Bloody_Pete like this.
  9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I only got the bloody job didnt i! Get in! I'm 7 grand up a year!

10. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Job: Full stack web developer
    Salary: No, freelance. Hourly rate.
    Bonus: Hardly ever
    Job Satisfaction: Yes mostly.

I do a lot of project and consultancy work for a large multinational financial, payments and comms corporation, on a retainer basis and then the rest of my work comes from small to medium sized businesses on this side of the pond. I have a second income stream from selling prints of my photos although this is nowhere enough to live on alone. I'd like to take up photography full time as that's where my passion is. I love web dev but it doesn't float my boat as much. One good thing with my web dev work is that I can usually work my diary so I can get away every now and then for some photo trips. The downside to working with a multinational is that I'm expected to be available at some ungodly hours for meetings and briefings but I love seeing projects through from design brief to launch.

MLyons likes this.
  11. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Job: DevOps Consultant
    Wage: Very High
    Bonus: Unknown.
    Job Satisfaction: I really enjoy the work but consultancy is a hit and miss on which companies you get placed in

Edit: just to add if you are curious about devops feel free to drop me a pm

Last edited: 23 Dec 2020
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

DevOps the Microsoft software, or DevOps the concept?

If Microsoft name any more products after concepts I am going to scream - how many things have 'pipelines' now?!!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  13. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

It's not the microsoft stuff, it's the pipelines processes and everything else side of things

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Was just curious :).

I mean... I use Azure DevOps a lot, but it really winds me up when Microsoft name their products after concepts. In a lot of people's minds 'devops' = Azure DevOps, and it sometimes makes it really hard to have a discussion about something. I've already banned the term 'pipeline' when used without qualification, because it could refer to: Azure DevOps pipelines, Azure Data Factory pipelines, Azure Machine Learning pipelines, custom Python code which orchestrates multiple components, etc... The meaning of 'pipeline' changes depending on who I'm talking to - even within my own team - and they are all completely different things with completely different purposes and completely different capabilities!

15. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I fully agree with you, devops has become too much pipelines and not thinking about the core fundamentals.
    I tell all my juniors to read the phones project & the unicorn project so they understand the ways etc.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've been meaning to read The Unicorn Project...

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Job: Technical Support, well the title covers a multitude of sins, but I mostly deal with the safety and quality of consumer goods, primarily within the UK / EU but I stray into the global arena every now and then. It's interesting times for us what with Brexit and all, but I think they could be profitable times too, hey why read the regs / directives yourself if you can pay us to do it for you.......
    Wage: Above average, just.
    Bonus: Yup, depending on the profitability of the group, plus overtime etc. etc.
    Satisfaction: Kind of, I love the work, I like some of the people although it'd be nice if consumers and companies had a basic understanding of EU laws etc.
    I mostly get to work from home, went from 5 days in the office, to 3 days in the office, to 2 days in the office, and now just the one day in the office / lab a week thanks to covid, we'll have to see what happens in the future.
    I've been here over 20 years, where else can you get to evaluate kids toys, adult toys :jawdrop:, general consumer goods for a global market? Every day is different, although reading autopsy reports / x-rays / surgical video's / accident reports can weigh heavily at times.

I've worked hard within the company to be a one man shop, and whilst it does bite me in the ass at times it does give me a certain amount of latitude / piss take / ignore the company rules potential, which I take advantage off at every opportunity.

Mr Happy likes this.
  18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Job: Network Engineer - Public Sector
    Wage: 35k

Is it worth it: You know what, having worked public and private, this is the easiest job ever. I am ashamed of how little people in public sector work (obvs not including dr, nurses etc), however, tbh, it seems to be tied up in politics so partially not everyones fault. My perspective comes from working at managed service providers, and internet service providers before, where you worked to the bone. I am actually unsure if the level of work here is so low it's actually damaging my mental health in the opposite way to the stressful environments of before.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Job: consultant clinical psychologist in physical health
    Wage: 73k (top band 8c, Agenda For Change NHS pay scale)

Is it worth it: yes in terms of meaningfulness of the job, meh in terms of job satisfaction. Dealing with people's suffering every day gets a bit relentless. Like most of my clinical colleagues I routinely do 15-20% unpaid overtime (especially during COVID-19 pandemic) because the NHS is overburdened and under-resourced. Patients are appreciative and that helps, but the constant struggle managing lack of resources is draining and makes it hard for everybody to deliver compassionate care. Every year seems to get a little bit worse, but we keep getting treated like an unlimited resource because we keep trying to make it work, somehow. Meanwhile every armchair asshole on social media is telling us how inefficient the NHS is, how well-paid and overprivileged the staff compared to the private sector. They have no idea. None at all.

At least the pension scheme is good. Can't wait to retire.

Mr_Mistoffelees and bawjaws like this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A lot of people do appreciate and respect you all. Were it not for NHS ambulance crew, doctors and nurses, I would have been dead 29 years ago but, they brought me back from very close to death and I'm still here.

Nexxo likes this.