1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So. The 10.4 DMG was unusable... for some incomprehensible reason. Back to the drawing board.

Then I remembered ClassZilla - a modern-ish browser for Mac OS 9 which also works on OS X 10.1. Success! I can now download ISOs/DMGs natively on the Mac without needing a second computer! Except the very slow downloads consistently failed at the very last moment. So then I went looking for an OS X 10.4 ISO file - no DMG wizardy - and downloaded that successfully. Except it turns out that this particular machine has a CD drive instead of a DVD drive, so I can't burn it to disc. Fine, let's just mount the ISO and try installing it, shall we? No joy - it wants to reboot in order to start the installer, and when it reboots it just goes back to the OS X desktop.

Oh FFS...

This era of Mac does not boot from USB, so I can't get around it that way. So my options are:

1. Replace the CDRW with a DVD-RW (preferably a dual layer drive) and hope there's no firmware compatibility shenanigans
    2. Find an external FireWire hard drive
    3. Leave it as-is and just use ClassZilla when I need a browser

After spending half a day on this, #3 is starting to look the the best option!!

Yep, realised that soon after I tried to install it :grin:.

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Her: “I hate being at work, I literally can’t stand it at all. Some days I just want to quit and leave and never go back, I feel like I’m doing everyone’s work, I want to cry all the time and I’m not respected when I go out of my way to do extra shifts at short notice, it’s actually making me feel a bit low I might go speak to my doctor I’m just not happy, I wish I could drop my hours”

Me: “Drop your hours, maybe look at a course, you’ve talked about doing hairdressing. we don’t need the money, we can manage and worst case I can pull more hours. I’m absolutely desperate to spend more time in the office, I’m having to do 5 days worth of work in 3 days and working from home is just an impossible task”

Her: “no... I’ll be okay”

Me: “No really if you’re so unhappy it’ll work out better for the both of us”

Her: “naaa...”

Last edited: 12 Jul 2020
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just cut a piece out of a big sheet 400mm wide instead of 340. :duh: There's now not enough to cover the other 2 pieces I need. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I can't tell you how many times I've been burned like that. The "measure twice" adage doesn't even cover it, because every time I've done it it's been either because of a brainfart earlier on in the process, or something even dumber like mistaking a random mark on the wood for a marking I've made and using that as a reference.

I feel your frustration.

5. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Machinery issues on the farm. So far this hay season we've had the following failures;

1, mower breaking 3 times
    2, tedder breaking twice
    3, rower failing (due to me driving too fast i'll admit, however driving fast was due to no 4)
    4, Baler failing twice
    5, Transmission brake seizing on Fendt 312 farmer tractor
    6, hydraulic oil cooler springing a leak on Fendt 510 favorit tractor
    7, New Deutz 5100 tractor at workshop still under repair from a fire in February
    8, Polaris sportsman 570 electrical failure yesterday,
    9, Polaris Ranger diesel belt failure this morning.

I wouldn't be that upset if it wasn't for the fact all the maintenance was up to date.

I don't want to workout what this lot has cost so I'm sticking my head in the sand.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've played that game, you go into the menu and hit reset!

Joking aside, thats a big ooooooof dude!

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think it was because I was thinking in my head "340, 340, 340" I saw the red 40 on the tape (which is 40cm) and went for that. Twice :duh:.

I've managed to save it, was able to trim some off the other 2 pieces from where they won't be seen. Should be able to make it work.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Grant Imahara's passing.

I don't normally get phased by celebrities I don't know (Not that there are any I do know) passing, but this is just making me sad.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I didn't know a thing until my other half mentioned it this morning :(.

10. liratheal

I halfarsed checked twitter and saw Adam Savage's tweet about it :/

Sucks.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

2020 continues to be the worst year this century.

12. liratheal

It has.. Definitely not gone well.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

2020 seriously needs to f**k off already :( :(

14. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Mostly fixed by myself as aside from the baler which had suffered a main bearing failure.

Looked at both quads now and the sportsman has suffered from the regulator failing (a common fault on these apparently) so I've ordered a new one that uses Mosfets instead of diodes and the Ranger is simply a failure of the accelerator cable not the drive as was reported to me. The dealer was booked to come out on Thursday this week anyway to for a failing bearing (something sounds unhappy and I can't pin it down without taking the whole machine to bits.

Also forgot to mention the AC compressor on the telehandler has failed and the main dealer quoted 1200 Euros for a new one, £200 if I buy from the UK. :(

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Today the asthma inhaler was discontinued and I was moved to the CF inhaler. Lungs really have gotten bad.

Hernia has to be CTed as well. I look pregnant. Hurts like he'll.

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Also screw you autocorrect.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp, as of today, I'm officially unemployed. I've applied for Universal Credit (thanks for your lovely tax money my fellow UK citizens). I'm getting fitted up for my Adidas shellsuit today, as well as a baseball cap: unelocution lessons are booked too. Luckily I'm pretty far North, so don't have to worry about moving up there (though will look into living in Liverpool). I've applied for courses such as 'how to get an ASBO' and 'How to drink from 11AM onwards in Wetherspoons'. Also, I'll be swapping the Volvo for a souped up Citroen Saxo with decals on the sides.

From now on, my posts will contain more words like 'bruv' and 'innit'.

perplekks45 likes this.
  18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd like to like your post but it sucks to be laid off.

Pete J likes this.
  19. liratheal

Sod the Saxo off and get an ASBO orange (Electric Orange) Focus ST2. That'll get you in the right crowd for an ASBO.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Don't get rid of the Volvo, just find a really poorly made Max Power style body kit and fit with a few randomly spaced screws, no filler and don't paint it and, replace the exhaust tip/s with large size bean cans.

Pete J and liratheal like this.