1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Spoons opens from 7:30am bruv, safe

perplekks45 and Pete J like this.
  2. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

He's new to it all. Can't go diving in head first from the get go, got to work your way up to that.

Pete J likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Why go to 'spoons when a 24-hour Tesco will happily sell you a 2l of Frosty Jack at any time of the day? Find a bench and you're golden for the day.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

:idea:I feel there's room in the market for a similar grade cider called "Park Bench", because truth in advertising... :rolleyes:

Pete J likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Two litres?

For a day?

Sir, I don't think you understand how drinking chemical toilet water is done.

You'll need at least two of the big bugger 3l bottles for an evening based on my observations, so you probably want six 2l bottles for a whole day of park-bench pidgeon shouting.

OT: I finally have a task that'll take more than eight seconds!

It's managing the server updates of 20-30 servers. Which, to me, screams "powershell this ************", buuut of course most of them don't have PS5, which is necessary..

Also, of course it doesn't install smoothly enough that I can fire off a GPO to get it installed on the servers that need it.

I'll be spending the next few days updating Powershell, then.

Pete J and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Personal ruinings: Sky Fibre has been running at half speed for the last full week

The rest should probably go into the opposite thread:-
    1. Sky's speed guarantee is triggered, so refund incoming
    2. Turns out to be a line fault, so engineer booked in
    3. Smol discount negotiated going forward

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't enjoy my work (anymore). My boss is a useless plonker, the projects I'm working with are badly managed and nowhere near the supposed goals, the company is so ridiculously inefficient and only good at breaking negative records each year (when I started five years ago we lost 150m EUR in that fiscal year, last year we hit a new record of 330m and we do expect even more this year), and by now I've lost all hope of this company finding the spirit or talent to save itself. If we weren't state-owned we'd go broke in a heartbeat.

Yet I don't apply for new positions, because I can work 100% from home (thanks, Corona), I get paid quite okay, and I have a working student who is really bright and motivated so I feel obliged to be a good boss for her.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Here in Somerset you can just buy rough cider from a farmer. Cheap as cheap chips!

IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Effing hell, will shops in England sell you booze 24 hours a day? Christ almighty.

10am to 10pm up here, 7 days a week.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup: if the door's open, you can buy booze. I think there used to be something about stopping sales for a brief period on Sundays, but I don't know if that's still a thing (other than the Sunday trading laws that would mean you can't buy anything else either.)

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I was back in Glasgow with a mate a few years back, decided to leave the pub and just buy some cans to drink in the flat. The guy in the shop laughed at us as we tried to buy beer at 11:20pm.

By then the pub was too far behind us and we just had to go home without a drink.

Back when I lived there, I would spring to life like clockwork at 9:45pm, knowing I only just had enough time to get down Tesco and replenish :hehe:

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That is utter insanity.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That depends on the license, the Supermarket my Opticians is in can't sell booze between midnight and 8am, or after 10pm on Saturday, 4pm Sunday. For all the law says 24 hour drinking it's actually the local authority that has the final say, which is usually 'haha... no'.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Wot he said. I thought it was based on the license they have. I don't actually know of any supermarkets round 'ere that will sell booze 24hrs, most will stop at 2300.

15. perplekks45

Is it? Why?

Over here you can buy booze 24/7 at gas stations, but supermarkets close around 9 or 10 at night and stay closed on Sundays. As long as the doors are open, that bottle of Jack is yours if you can pay for it.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

We English, to paraphrase The IT Crowd, drink like we're trying to die.

The Germans seem to have a much more relaxed approach to alcohol in comparison.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

FTFY :thumb:

IanW, Pete J and liratheal like this.
  18. perplekks45

I lived in Bath for roughly a year. Going out with all the students to get hamm----- enjoy a decent night out was quite the experience.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Everywhere I've lived Oop North has given 24-hour supermarkets 24-hour alcohol licences. To quote what feels like it's probably an authority on the subject, 24houralcohol.co.uk:

Using the handy-dandy interactive map, I can see... 39 off-licences with 24-hour alcohol trading here in sunny Bradford, though a lot of 'em are currently not open 24 hours a day 'cos of coronavirus. Some are the big supermarkets - Morrisons, Asda, Tesco, there's an M&S Food Hall in there - and others are petrol stations, chain convenience stores, and independent convenience stores.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Became apparent yesterday that there is wasp nest under our study, they are using the airbrick below the damp course. Yesterday evening, after dark, I sealed it off, using masking tape as a temporary measure. This morning I went out again with an old hard mouse mat, to seal them in untill they expire. It has a steel base they can't chew through but, as I attempted to start fixing it in place, some of last night's tape came away...

I now have around a dozen wasp stings, the little six-legged, flying bastards.