1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It was 2004. Everything was neon and bright in modding dude.

[​IMG]

That is what it would have originally looked like. I was inspired by The Rotten Apple, but it took me over two years to realise my ambition. Basically when The Rotten Apple was done the G4 QS was like, new. And they were thousands of pounds or dollars so no one could mod one. He would never explain exactly how he got the case. I reckon he had a contact inside Apple and it went on the back of a lorry. I mean, you would have been insane to spend thousands of dollars on a G4 just to toss it in the trash and use the case for a mod.

The two main differences between Radiomactive and TRA was how it was done. Like I said, on the G3 the casing was opaque. So as soon as I started to try and polish out the scratches it became transparent and what was inside was just literally an ugly steel box with G3 painted on it. So that was out. With the G4 however it was different. The side panel is totally transparent (almost like glass, very expensive to do with plastic then !) and he sanded off the silver from the inside until it was completely gone and painted it burgundy. The Apple logo was black, hence the name, The Rotten Apple lol.

Mine however had to be sanded from the outside, sealed with a plastic sealer to stop it melting (lots of testing was done) and then painted with plastic primer and then day glo and then tons of clear, as day glo is like, powdery and dry.

Paint alone? I had about 80 hours into. It was like friggin glass. I mean obviously a 30 dollar Aiptek? digital camera did it no favours at all, but that thing was amazing. Dremels had literally just been invented, and were hella expensive. It wasn't even my Dremel either. I was living with my ex wife's uncle (long story) and that was his basement. He had a full workshop nextdoor. That was originally my web server for Exile IT that MAC, but when I canned that (got my green card and got work) that was when I did the mod. I needed a PC then.

[​IMG]

See this was before cable management. I found that trunking stuff in the basement. I remember being absolutely dumfounded at how accurate a Dremel could do things. This wasn't a "Hide bits because it's a cut and shut" this was like, perfection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jul 2020
  2. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Found those. Late 90s, NOS.

[​IMG]

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Indeed, I do recall the discussion. And, yeah, I'm not surprised an equivalent from another manufacturer would be a similar price - that top end £54k is an absolute behemoth. To get it to that price you need: 28-core Xeon W, 1.5TB (12x128GB) DDR4 ECC RAM, two Radeon Pro Vega II Duo GPUs, 8TB SSD, hardware-accelerated ProRes/ProRes Raw decode... and a bunch of ancillaries. It's a truly bonkers specification.

I guess my point was more that, even at the entry level, these are not cheap machines by any stretch of the imagination, and that entry point has only ever gone up in price.

That's... um... bright! :lol:

Impressive amount of work though.

I had a case BITD that was very much styled after that era of Macs:

[​IMG]

(Not my photo, ripped it from here). It was called the Juno P3, IIRC... Although mine wasn't quite as tall as that one; I only had 3 (or maybe two) 5.25" bay and the translucent side panels were one complete piece instead of being split into two.

Did my first ever 'mod' in that Juno P3 case... Cut out my initials in the metal side panel (leaving the translucent plastic intact) and back-lit it with blue CCFLs.

4. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

This accidently got bought today, then posted about on the wrong thread in here. Hopefully not a bad omen

[​IMG]

Goatee, David, enbydee and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I've heard of items accidentally falling of the back of a truck, but accidental purchasing is a new one.

Edit:
    Wait I have heard of the phenomenon, but usually only occurs with married men.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Picked up Mary Trump's new book. Had a free credit on Audible.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Do you think it'll change your opinion of the man?

8. WarBoys

WarBoys What's a Dremel?

picked up the new valce index!!! awesome vr!!

wyx087 likes this.
  9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Considering I think he's a damned dangerous moron, not much. But I do see a point in knowing where his madness originated.

ElThomsono and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

because the last 7 weeks need to **** right off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The_Crapman and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Horrifically expensive 2-night stay in a 5-star hotel in Kerry for the missus and me for my birthday. We were meant to go to Tenerife, but COVID has ruined any chance of that and I'm not taking the risk of going there now (hotel confirmed they are fully booked out).

Coincides with a week off work at the start of August :)

12. Vault-Tec

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

500/70mbit interwebs, yaaaaaaaay.
    Also saving £20/month from current 300/50. Double yaaaaaaay.

Only £15/month more would have netted 900/100, but on the other hand with a general plan to move house, likely to an area that has no FTTP to speak of, wanted to temper my expectations. I didn't really need to upgrade, but also I can't ignore a no-downsides £20/month saving, so 500mbit it is.

perplekks45 likes this.
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Loosing FTTP was one of the saddest days of my life :p

Mister_Tad likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

FTTP is still up to 9 months away for me. :(
    (My town is on Openreach's "to-do" list for March 2021, but that was pre-plague)

16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Moans about wanting super ultrawide & a new desk... buys a chair instead.

Had no real issues with my old chair besides the headrest wasn't suited for taller people, the future in-laws came over on Wednesday and in conversation with my partners step dad I explained it was a great chair but was disappointed with the headrest adjustability for above average height.

I never mentioned about selling it but he offered me 80% of its retail value and it made sense for him to take it so I could get something different.

[​IMG]

17. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

Bought a another data slurping device from Amazon (the v2). But at least I now get alerted when there is someone at the door rather than my old wireless doorbell failing dismally

[​IMG]

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Done a similar booking of two overpriced weekend breaks.

Our yearly Finland jaunt is out because Finland isn't letting UK travellers in - i'd get in with the other half probably but we'd still have to isolate for 14 days before seeing the family, some of whom are old, some don't have the best health.

Don't fancy killing her family, Amsterdam transfer will be a melting pot of bugs let one the planes.

So yeah, covid - it's more expensive.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Garmin hardwire kit for my dashcam

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I really wanted to bring the missus to Finland, up to Tampere or Pielavesi and borrow some relatives cabin for a long weekend, but the flights just were working out to be too much for us.
    I'll get her over there at some point though. Killarney will have to do for August :)

She got me the Indomitus box for Warhammer 40,000 though for my birthday, but that'll only arrive some time in the next 120 days due to demand! :D

adidan likes this.