1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ +1 Hacking-Skill required

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ivory2k19, 29 Sep 2019.

1. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech

There is not much to say, at the moment i have not a lot of time because i am moving to my new apartment with my girlfriend so we have to organize a lot of stuff...

But i can proudly present my first sponor for this project :clap:

[​IMG]

Cherry send some goodies to me!!
    I wanted to wait for all of the parts at Candykeys to be in stock, but the Covid-19 was causing bottlenecks in delivery :lol:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I choose the Cherry MX blue because the acoustics of the switches are perfect for me, because they sound like the original.

[​IMG]

Cherry also sent me a switch tester so it was possible to compare the switches.
    If any of you want to build your own keyboard, I can only recommend you have a look at cherrymx.de and let yourself be surprised what they offer.
    I'm not using RGB because I have not seen already a terminal with an RGB keyboard in Fallout. xD
    But if you want to build your own, they also have switches with RGB, so I think there is something for everyone :grin:

Don't miss -> cherrymx.de

Enough advertising for today I wish you a nice weekend!

2. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech

Finally i am back at my project!!
    So it's time for a small update.

I painted parts of the terminal with the first epoxy layer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I have to wait for it to dry and then repeat 2 or 3 times before I can fit into the 3D parts.
    After fitting, all holes and scratches must be sealed with putty and prepared for painting. :rock:

There is still a lot of stuff missing what i need to finish the project and one of those things is the keyboard do any of you know where I can get DIY keyboards?

Stay tuned next update coming soon :dremel:

Last edited: 18 Jul 2020
    Dot_Kappa, Jean R built and enbydee like this.
  3. BHB Mods

BHB Mods Minimodder

Looking awesome! Fallout Cheesecake! ❤

ivory2k19 likes this.
  4. BHB Mods

BHB Mods Minimodder

Hahahaha autocorrect must have made that "cheesecake"! Didn't notice it until today! Well, I do love me some Fallout!

ivory2k19 likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's been a long time since the last word filter victim. Now you understand Bit's love of 'cheesecake'. :lol:
    I'm happy to see you giving it a good sealing. MDF is pretty crappy if you don't.

ivory2k19 likes this.
  6. Flux

Flux Minimodder

Wow! What a cool project!

ivory2k19 likes this.
  7. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Thank you guys!!! :rock:
    Next update is coming soon:thumb:

Defyant Mods likes this.
  8. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech finally i can show you some new stuff :clap:

After sealing with epoxy and sanding, a lot of adjustments had to be made one of it is the mounting of the front.

[​IMG]

To fix the display frame and the keyboard frame to the terminal, I used a Pattex two-component adhesive, screws and an aluminum angel, now it shouldn't move anywhere.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can see it's very tight, but it fits. :rock: Only one thing does not fit, the fans on the front radiator (red circle) I measured it according to the CAD model it fitted, but in reality it is 3 millimeters too high.:wallbash: So now the question should i mod my fans or should i switch zu low profile fans?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It doesn't look so good in the photos, but in reality looks really good once the screen is connected.:grin:

Now i have to search a 60% PCB for my keyboard, not so easy to get one and some parts for the water cooling are missing then i should have all parts together.
    I also have an idea for something special for the water cooling but it is still a long way :winking:

PLEASE STAND BY

9. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Low profile fans is the easy way.
    You can reduce the frame height.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
    ivory2k19 likes this.
  10. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

I think i choose the easiest way and switch to some low profile fans... :hehe:

11. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

a very interesting job really!!

ivory2k19 likes this.
  12. Cheapskate

How high is that fan plate? You could possibly remove half of it and mount the fans at a slight angle. -Half the fan mounted directly to the radiator at the pinched area.

ivory2k19 likes this.
  13. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech

Today i will show you the next special thing of the project the new water tank :dremel:
    It is a glass bottle in Nuka Cola style.
    The work goes on, but I am still missing some parts, many things are unfortunately not in stock, such as the keyboard, so I have to do everything else first.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've already made the hole for the connection below, just need to glue the tube for the fitting and the label then the tank should be ready

[​IMG]

More pictures soon, I've already taken more of my work, but I don't have the time to write the work log at the moment, so it is only a small update :grin:

Now I need to print parts for the tank and find the rest of the hardware I need and decide what to do with my graphics card. I think it's too long for that build :waah:

I wish you a nice Sunday, see you soon :clap:

Cheapskate, Toru, Vault-Tec and 2 others like this.
  14. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech

A little update on the project, unfortunately, just a bit boring, but it has to be. :lol:
    A lot of preparation like sinking the screws in the aluminum ...

[​IMG]

Another point is preparing the bracket for my GPU, it was planned to use my Asus 1060 Strix, but you can see that the GPU is too long and will later cover the glass bottle... :worried:
    An alternative would be a 1650, 1660 Mini ITX, if anyone wants to sell one please let me know, thanks. :clap:

[​IMG]

It was time to glue and prepare the first parts to start painting later, a lot of work and sanding is not my favorite job I noticed... xD

[​IMG] [​IMG]

an insight into how the front is connected to the terminal.
    The aluminum angles are glued to the front and then screwed to the terminal and glued.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In the past few days everything was primed and some parts got some paint.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A good friend has a paint booth and I can use it for free :rock:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next step, control all parts if there a no big scratches or holes to fill, if everything is okay i will begin with the final color.

[​IMG]

The problem with the fan is now solved...
    Noctua sends me 4 Chromax black low profile for this I would like to thank you very much!! :clap:

[​IMG]

And that's why I made my first unboxing video, more videos will follow. So if you want to follow my channel I would be happy :thumb:

Stay tuned...

15. Toru

Toru Minimodder

Good painting job !:rock:

ivory2k19 likes this.
  16. Cheapskate

I would think you would have gotten used to wearing a mask by now. -Judging by the mask type, I'm betting you were wearing it outside the booth. :lol:
    Love the cola bottle res. How did you manage to grind it dry without it cracking?

17. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

@Cheapskate yes for this color we had better masks ... :grin:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The first layer was painted blue, but when painting the parts it was noticed that the primer absorbs a little more paint than expected, so one layer unfortunately is not enough, it has to be painted twice so that the color is even and clean. The side parts have already been prepared with putty again, only I'm not sure whether we should prime the putty again or not, but that can only be tried next time.

The time has come :rock:

The parts for the keyboard were available ...

[​IMG]

Thanks to David from candyskeys.com for his patience. We wrote what felt like 1000 emails back and forth because many things were not available due to Corona. Luckily it worked now and I can finally get on with the keyboard.:thumb:

Unfortunately, I have to tell you some bad news due to the increasing number of cases here in South Tyrol (Italy), certain communities are now red zones, which means I can only move on my work and within my home community so there are unfortunately no further updates on Painting because that's not around the corner from me, unfortunately. :waah:

But there are at least updates for the construction of the keyboard... :dremel:

Cheapskate and Jean R built like this.
  18. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Hi bit-tech

There is a big update as I finally take the time to keep writing.
    It's been a bit quiet here lately but that doesn't mean I haven't done anything ... xD

Unfortunately, Covid-19 does not make my life easy for me I was in domestic isolation for 20 days, South Tyrol was also the red zone and there were curfews, so I was not allowed to leave my village, which means that nothing went ahead with the paint job because my buddy doesn't live in the same village.
    Well it doesn't matter then everything else was next like the keyboard, 3D printing etc. :dremel:

The first coat of primer revealed to me some bigger holes and scratches that couldn't stay, I will save you the whole process of sanding the parts that we had enough of it :grin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You know the frame of the keyboard was silver that didn't seem to fit me so it was painted black so it fits better now.

[​IMG]

The first draft of the keyboard case......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After 10 attempts, the desired result finally came from my printer ... Yes, my printer could use a little fine adjustment, but there is still time after the project ...
    Now all i have to do is glue and paint, then that's ready. :dremel:

[​IMG]

When the case was ready it was time to solder the keys. No big deal with a little Youtube everything went smoothly Cherry made a DIY video on the subject of custom keyboard that I can only recommend.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Since I was now at home, I found time to find a new GPU for the project, a Gainward GTX 1650 Pegasus which, as you can see, is much smaller and fits perfectly into the terminal because it doesn't cover everything like the Asus GTX 1060 Strix mine previous choice.
    I bought the GPU on Ebay for a good price and since no gaming monitor is controlled but a full HD display, the card is sufficient in every respect.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The card should get a special cooling, since I still had a VGA block from EKWB at home i want to use it now.
    To do this, first disassemble the card into individual parts

[​IMG]

Now I noticed that the frame doesn't fit, that's a bit annoying, it has now been redrawn in the AutoCad and laser cut.
    What doesn't fit is made to fit ...
    More on the subject as soon as more images are available.

[​IMG]

The terminal should look used and be provided with rust and scratches. In game who knows it there is an apocalyptic mood and the atomic fallout is also affecting the objects, i was looking for the right techniques for a long time after a lot of searching on Google i came in the model making sector numerous tutorials later began the first attempts... :rock:
    I found the right colors around here in a toy shop that also sells different models, the colors are from the Revell brand and water-soluble, so perfect for me if something goes wrong you can wipe it off again. :naughty:
    In addition, there were some coarse and fine brushes, toothpicks to mix and most importantly a sponge.

[​IMG]

Some paint is picked up with the coarse brush and wiped off on a piece of cardboard so that there is only very little paint on the brush then you can start working on the corners this technique is called dry brushing.

A before and after comparison.

[​IMG]

Let everything dry once then the grate ...
    For this, the paint was diluted with water and the sponge was used to create an uneven layer with the small dabs and, importantly, again little paint, the result can be seen ...

[​IMG]

Of course, a healthy patina should not be missing on the Holotape. Like everything else, it was first sanded and primed, then applied with a brush the individual colors then wiped over with a cloth and heavily thinned black acrylic paint.
    The screws are still missing :grin:

It then finally went on with the painting, unfortunately only the inside so that everything can be assembled and still gets its final painting on the outside
    that means filling and sanding....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unfortunately we only noticed later that we could have thinned the paint a bit so there was a light orange peel but it could be straightened with bows (1500 grit).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sure, you could have painted it again to get a smooth and beautiful finish, but since the terminal isn't new, the rag and acrylic paint have all of the pieces worked over to make them look too dirty. So it doesn't matter if they have small holes or scratches

[​IMG]

The method with the rag and the large brush was also used for the mainboard tray.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A little glimpse of what it looks like in assembly...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could have tidied the table, but I hope you will forgive me xD

So there is more that I can show you but I'm too tired for that today...

Let me know what you think of the project!

Thanks for reading and see you soon :rock:

19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Absolutely beautiful work and attention to detail :rock:

What i wouldn't give to spray in a proper booth again :jawdrop:

ivory2k19 likes this.
  20. Sa mod pc design

Sa mod pc design Minimodder

awesome bro

ivory2k19 likes this.