1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features FPS games! Please stop making me shoot numbers out of things.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Jul 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

monty-pup likes this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its like Wow or Diablo, I've never been interested in those numbers, and I'm bored of borderlnds now, I didn't even bother with 3.

On the other hand, grand strategy, city builder, factory sim, those are very pleasing numbers!

monty-pup likes this.
  3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I guess there's a certain understanding that a grand strategy game is more of a representation, where an FPS is, or should be, more immersive, and having numbers pop out and accumulate pinball wizard style is not to everyone's taste.

Spotted some typos

Not sure that's the plural form
    simplest / simply repetition
    Is two words

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Got to disagree about it being petty.

Plot free bullet sponge enemy live service multiplayer borefest "shooters" are a worse plague on modern gaming than even BR games or IGN plagiarism.

Pete J and monty-pup like this.
  5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It would be lovely if developers would just give us the choice to turn off those numbers... then those of us who don't care about being the most optimal killing machine can enjoy a cleaner game screen, and the number crunching max damage fanatics can see if shooting 1 pixel to the left does increased damage.

Pete J likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Wouldn't help, without the numbers the enemies would still be boring bullet sponges because you din't spend the required 27 hours a day grinding as if it was a job (or as the AAA industry calls it: "Engagement").

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

"Sense of pride and accomplishment" ;)

enbydee and Anfield like this.
  8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If nothing else the numbers out of the head trope tells which shooters I don't need to bother with. Give me a game that revolves around shooting with precision and skill, not a first person RPG where I'm casting DPS from a spread sheet.

9. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

I wish I could have linked to this page back in 2010 when Natural Selection 2 was in development. The numbers coming out of people killed the game for me. I wait for the death animation to trigger I don't count numbers :D

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

One of the reasons I really *effing* dislike the Borderlands franchise.

However, at the same time, I spend a lot of time playing WoWS - every hit on an enemy gives you a damage score, and I don't mind/notice that.

11. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

But do you dislike them in Diablo too? That's where they come from, its the stat game of the traditional arpg. So the numbers are the game in a lot of ways.

They've not cracked the infinite progression thing yet, so the loop is always repeating the same content, and the only differential will be the size of the numbers.

Pretty sure Div2 has multiple options to control them, or remove them though. BL3 probably not.

12. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Recently fired up the original Quake and I have to agree, turning enemies into gibs with the shotgun is still as satisfying as ever :D

Tags: Add Tags