1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Audacity cannot find any audio device? but I have !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 2 Aug 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi to everyone
    I run Windows 10 pro (64bit) for 6 months only and it's the first time since, that I try to use Audacity.
    I use the exact same configuration as I had with windows 8.1 and it was fine with Audacity, but there; it is not ...:nono:
    My MB is a Gigabyte 970 gaming and it has an onboard sound card./drivers are updated
    The sound is coming out from the green jack plug (headphones) as usual, and it goes to a M-AUDIO AV40 speakers
    Then I use a audio enhancer called DFX but I always used it before without any issues.
    In previous versions of Windows DFX was the device to choose as the recording device in Audacity, otherwise it could be the stereo mix.

But I installed Audacity today and the error message said
    " Could not find any audio device "

I spent some time scouring through Audacity's forum, but most questions are just not answered or the heart of the matter is different...it's not such a great forum as Bit-tech :rock: so I am asking for your knowledge. Thanks for reading, big thanks for replies :grin:
    I already read about similar issues on Gooble, and I saw many people describing this sort of error and I tried several tips, like older versions of Audacity, but still...:nono:
    What is strange is that all is listed in Windows: ????
    [​IMG]

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Just to rule out the obvious: have you followed the troubleshooting steps here (including the sneaky mic privacy setting), and ruled out the known driver issue described here?

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your reply @edzieba :cooldude: ... Well, yes, I followed up this lead too, I mean the "sneaky" mic privacy settings :grin:...I was doubting it could be relevant as I don't have a microphone here and the recording source device was not meaned to be the microphone but the sound card, but still, I checked that this option was ticked in my privacy settings, yet, nothing changed... :rollingeyes:
    But I will admit there are other process to follow in the troubleshooting pages you linked me, like the driver issue, so I will read and apply the proceedings thoroughly...then I'll post the result. Thanks again

4. kim

kim hardware addict

Well, after several trys with different drivers or versions of Audacity, I finally found a suitable driver working with Audacity 2.03...when I say working, I'm generous :rollingeyes:, I mean, Audacity starts and accepts the driver without error messages but, now in the sound panel options, things have changed...there is either Stereo mix or Internal AUX jack with DFX, but in both cases, if choosen as default device, when I pull on the recording button, the sound coming out of speakers becomes a high pitched sound like a shrill howling :eeek: and so the recording :wallbash:
    I'm affraid I can say goodbye to recording my sound card :waah:

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hang on, are you trying to record the sound output from the PC rather than a mic or other input device? Because in that case, you're going to hear horrible sounds in live playback: Audacity is capturing the audio, then playing it back, which it then captures and plays back, which it then captures and plays back, etc, turning into the horrible feedback squeal you heard. You may also wish to use WASAPI Loopback rather than messing with this legacy DFX driver.

kim likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for passing by again @edzieba, yes, I am trying to record my sound card like I did for years under Windows seven and 8, and I had a real good quality of recording, I swear , I used to record the sound from Utube videos and I had great albums after conversion...:thumb:

I am taking your expert guidance seriously and I am aware that you have a high level of knowledge in technology and computers, and I can feel in your reply that you don't believe in that combination to obtain proper recording tracks, though, I've done it for years like I said...:idea:...I think the guilty is Windows 10 as it is the only changed parameter... but I am ready to go further in my investigations, and find a way to use it like before.

Regarding DFX audio enhancer, I don't know if you know this software but it changes completly the dimention of listening the sound coming out of a computer, I use it for years in complement of any sound card and speakers and I cannot imagine to live without :grin:, but to complement my tests, I even uninstalled it to see if there was any changings but the result is the same without DFX, leaving Stereo mix as the unique device choice...but I will follow that WASAPI lead...
    to be continued...:sigh:

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If that's all you need it for, then skip all the rerecording and download the Youtube audio directly. JDownloader will let you select just the audio track from any given youtube URL (go to the JDownlaoder forum and download the 'offline isntaller', the one of the homepage has adware).

kim likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for the link and advice Sir, but I bought this DFX audio enhancer with a license number and I assure you there are no adwares in it :grin:

Last edited: 5 Aug 2020
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for the link @wolfticket, I will try that ASAP :thumb:

Thank you, yes this could be enough, even if I don't like to give up easilly when something hinders me, it can certainly do the job.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...I was talking about this:

13. kim

kim hardware addict

ohh :worried:, my mistake, sorry :worried:

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Potentially adware riddled website or potentially adware riddled software, take your pick! Though that's why I suggested the 'offline' installer: the standard one has an easily-misclicked do-you-want-the-crapware checkbox, the offline one does not.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

I choose the website, every time: it can do a lot less damage to my system than software installed locally.

16. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for these additional informations, but regarding any potentially riddled soft or site, Audacity was clean and could do more than just recording tracks, I miss it, and I am really mad that I can't configure it properly, I put it aside for a while, I spent enough time overthinking but I'll be back :naughty: