1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

craigey1: just responding to the previous posts.

2. kamakazitp

kamakazitp What's a Dremel?

all i'm saying is that my post was deleted, and i broke no rules, which is not fair. also, i dont care what opinion you have of me. i will probably never encounter you in my real life, and if i did, we probably wouldnt know. i have no problem with people telling me when i say something stupid, but you dont see me claiming to have invented html. and i promise i wont get offended if you call me and idiot if i decide to claim responsibility for javascript or c++.

also, i didnt insult the guy, i didnt say he was stupid. i just said that it was "weak" that he claimed ownership over the sarcasm tag, and simply explained that its easily something that numerous people couldve come up with on their own. i would show you the post, but someone deleted it.

3. kiljoi

hey, I never said my opinion of you was lowered. i try not to have opinions of people I don't know IRL. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter like you did. Like I said before, i'm not saying g-gnome's right, I'm not saying you're wrong. i just think there are more tactful ways a lot of this stuff could have been said.

4. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

ooppss sorry, I looked at the wrong name. :duh:

With regards to the post being deleted, it could have been a result of the Db being restored from a 6 day old backup. Just a guess.

5. kamakazitp

i agree. that main thing that couldve been done was my post to not have been deleted. i didnt insult the guy, i just commented, but noone can see the post now, and thats what aggrivates me.

i'll definitely be extra careful with what i say from now on, what with the fear of having my posts deleted for having the slightest hint that i think someone elses post was a bit unnecessary.

6. kamakazitp

nah, it happened after. whatever, it doesnt matter anyway.

i just wanna see some more pics of this computer case :D

7. TLS

TLS What's a Dremel?

Whatever his reason is for treating certain people the way he does I dont know. All I know is that he doesnt have to be an ass when people ask a question. You know, with him becoming this huge community figure (boosting his ego in the process), he should maybe set better examples. Not delete the same kinds of posts that he himself makes. Kind of a hypocritical thing, isnt it?

8. kiljoi

like i said, we can all be hypocrites, it's all just a matter of how we accept it when other people do it. i goota go forn ow, see you guys again tomorrow

9. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

G-Gnome: sorry that I am posting odd topic, but i feel this needs to be ended.

THIS IS WHAT G_GNOME IS TALKING ABOUT! When he doesnt want spam, etc, he means he wants everything to be on his case, or post in another (appropriate) thread. These arguments are pointless to have and are wasting space and time of those of us who are actually following the PROJECT. Bit-tech has provided this forum for us, so lets no waste Database space!

Probably all of the posts on your deleted post will be deleted anyways so whats the point?? G-gnome please delete this when you delete them.

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I am sorry you think I treat people badly TLS.

You are right in that no one has to be an ass when people ask a question and if I come across like that when trying to answer peoples questions then I apologise. DETN8R was right in that I try and be humourous in replies if possible but sometimes my very dry aussie sense-of-humour gets taken seriously by people from other countries. Plus I'm an old grumpy ******* anyway! :miffed: :)

With the guy I picked at over grammer - Firstly, there was a lot more 'history' there than you obviously know about. Besides his many posts in my threads, there had been a large number of personal emails to me of a very pushy and demanding nature. His (to me) disturbing (i.e. disturbed) intent on copying my case down to ordering exactly the same of everything even to getting it all the way from Australia and his absolute desperation and insistence on it all is pretty spooky. Imitation is flattery - to a point - then it becomes scary. The staff here have dubbed him 'single white modder' after the roomate in the movie 'Single White Female'. His post about my grammer, I believe, was him being an ass (maybe after I had refused to answer some of his ever-demanding questions (both email and posts)?). If he was also concerned a simple email would have been more appropriate than a 'hey look how clever I am for spotting this g-gnome' post. Why then would he make a comment about a different thread post over 3 months old that had already long been written up and published as an article on the main site? My reply was intentionally sarcastic (sorry, I meant '/sarcastic') - to point out to him just how silly critisizing grammar is (by doing it to him). You'll note at the end of the reply, I also said I don't care about the odd spelling mistake etc. (My own grammar is pretty shocking as a result - but I couldn't care less).

When you spend about 16 hours typing, editing images and posting each update for absolutely no personal benefit (I'm not paid to do it) then someone goes (3 months later) "ahh...you missed a spot..." it's really a case of "FFS get a life!" And I really do restrain myself from just saying it (to get an idea of how I speak everyday - I am an Infantryman in the Army). Add the 'history' with this guy and I feel my reply was relatively polite.

You have made loads of assumptions about me TLS when you don't even know me. You seem to think I have gotten some sort of a boosted ego or something? Lol, chucking some chrome into a plastic computer case is hardly the be all and end all of life! There's more to life than modding. Yeah it's nice that people like the stuff I do and it's encouraging - but it's only a hobby and hardly the sort of thing to get big-headed about (I'm prouder of my wife, being a soldier and the achievements of my brother and sister than I am about any of this stuff).

As for deleting your post - how many times have I asked people to stay on topic or read things before posting and not fill the thread up with useless unrelated crap? I can only say it so many times.
    You (and others) using this thread to stage a little argument about who did or did not invent the /sarcasm tag (WTF has that got to do with the Orac project??), despite repeated (reasonably nice IMO) appeals for folks to stick to the topic is what I am talking about. I could have edited your post and replaced the words with big red letters saying "STAY ON TOPIC" but that would have embarassed you as your name would still be on the post.

Hypocritical? I think not. I may slip on occasion in the hundred and eighty-odd posts I have made in this thread but so what? (you would too with that many posts in one thread). Those deleted posts were about your completely unrelated discussion amongst yourselves whereas something like the 'grammar' post (besides being a culmination of a lot of issues with a member that you knew nothing about) was my reply to someones 'suggestion' on something to do with the project!!. To do with the project. I also take the piss occasionally over unrelated posts (e.g. my 'toothbrush' pic and post) - it's my dodgy sense of humour.

You seem to have missed the point of it all completely and now feel compelled to abuse me over it? - very mature </sarcasm> ;)

Quite a lot of people subscribe to this thread and log on each time an email tells them someone has posted. The last thing they want to see is posts like yours. TLS and kamikazitp - please do as NzC suggests and start a thread somewhere else when you want to do this sort of thing.

I'm not the one you piss off when you do this, I am merely the instrument of thousands of pissed off subscribers.

-------------------------------------------

I feel your acting in an offensive and personally abusive manner towards me while at the same time accusing me of not treating people with respect is, in itself, hypocritical and inappropriate? If you wanted to hurt my feelings you have succeeded so I hope it makes you happy.

Heck, if it bothers you both enough - send me an abusive email! I get the odd one or two!

I couldn't have put it better NzC!

:sigh:

Now, back to modding... :dremel:

11. TLS

TLS What's a Dremel?

You're right, that would have been quite a trick! :rolleyes:

As regarding the rest of your post, you're right, it is your thread on your project so I shall crap in it no more. I made the post in the heat of the moment and whats done is done.

12. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

Hi there G-Gnome. Had a good look at the pics of your project again and to me one thing doesn't fit as well as it could according to me. I'm talking about the fan grille.

It breaks the front a bit I think when it has that huge green plexi above and the smaller bar of plexi with buttons below and then the grille has no green plexi at all. I think it would look better if the two holes on the sides were filled with green plexi to make it fit in better with the rest of the front.

[​IMG]

Of course you do as you want and anyway you do it the case looks great :D

Oh, and not to stress you or anything, but do you see an update in the near future? :worried: Sorry, just had to ask. I know you hate the question :blush:

PS. All the OT crap lately has been really annoying. I just want to point out to the poster that said he wasn't violating any forum rules, he was doing just that with that very post as one of the rules is to STAY ON TOPIC. It's not my idea of fun to read updates in this thread only to see a crap discussion about nothing :eyebrow: :nono:

13. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

That's a pretty good idea Jonas79 :thumb: . I agree with you about the grille. Eventually I'd like to re-make it or do something with it. The green plexi circles could work well... :)

No stress about asking 'bout the update mate - it's only when peeps start chanting in unison and waving big sticks that it gets stressful! :worried: .

I am waiting on the second to last bit of chrome to come back. It's been away a week already so hopefully back in a week or so, then I got a massive amount of modding to do so will be pretty busy - update ASAP after that. I am really stuck until this stuff comes back as I've basically finished most of the rest of things :( . I have had a problem with one part that I made from plastic. It was going to cost $400 to get chromed ( :eeek: ) so I told them to forget it and send it back. I'll be re-making it in Aluminium then sending it off to get chromed somewhere cheaper :sigh: . I don't think I'll do a lot of chrome in a case again as it's too many delays (and $$) waiting around for it to get done. Maybe the odd small thing but never again on the scale of this project.

Hopefully, the next update will be the last one. At the least it'll be pretty massive! I'm using the time to work on the plans for my next case. Over the next week or two, the third and fourth articles will be going up on the main site so keep an eye out for those as well - a bit easier to follow than these logs!

14. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Simply awesome G-gome, can't wait for your next masterpiece :D :rock: :rock:

15. kiljoi

hey g-gnome, is this going to be your last big mod, or are we going to see more? I was wondering if you ever plan to try making your own case out of acrylic? (joining pieces and everything?) I've been thinking about doing it, and the scale you do things on is just amazing. ever thought about writing guides for the things you have done, (not that your updates aren't guides enough, but I could use a little more detail (jeez, I hope that didn't sound greedy))? either way man, looks exquisite, and will always be WAY above whatever this thread says. mod on, top dawg. :dremel:

16. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

[ kiljoi ]

he said before that when this is done new project is stated and sponsors are already taking contact with him about that one so i belive G-nome has more ace's in the pocket :thumb:

17. kiljoi

i'm just wondering if he's going to try building one from scrap this time.

18. n-gen

n-gen Banned

I am a fool who likes to abuse Bit-Tech staff members

19. n-gen

n-gen Banned

I am a fool who likes to abuse Bit-Tech staff members

20. macroman

macroman The One

Let's leave history to the historians and move on shall we!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.