1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Looking forward to the finishing of this one and of course what other planes you've got in your mind.

The articles on the main site are easier to read but the logs are graet for asking questions :naughty:
    I'm still working on my plans for a case. It's getting progress but not very fast. I'm also building my site, integrating the future in it.

2. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Ignore them and maybe they will go away....

G-Gnome,
    I realy enjoy your mods and what skills you have brought to the modding community.
    I will soon be getting a dremel and access to a gen-u-wine lathe and mill, and so will be attempting to squeeze off a case in the next couple of months (on hold a short bit because my family just got modded with our little one just arriving! (4.3kg! {that's 9.5 lbs})
    Anywhoo... thank you for your postings they have been a great guide and a source for ideas that now will have a means for coming to realization!
    And when the sorry lot of us say you are a Mod God, we are just letting you know that the work you are doing is awesome and we hope to be able to follow in your footsteps! thanks man, and thank you for your insight.

3. n-gen

n-gen Banned

I am a fool who cannot take a hint (or even a blatant statement)

4. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

It was real good to see your lengthy put down of the spam bullsht in this thread g-gnome. Please, please *do* delete all the spam posts, rude posts and OT posts, because this is undoubtedly the best log I've ever read (no disrespect to all the other excellent bit modders :rock: but you know this is something else!).
    Can't wait, can't wait, get it posted......

PS No <sarcasm> here ;)

5. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Oh....Ok then.

[​IMG]

:thumb:

6. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    hooray for the moderation!

7. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Yes indeed. Custom-built cases are the way ahead for me I think.

This project used a stock case mainly because (being a first-time modder) I felt I didn't have the skills to build a custom case when I started the project.

8. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

We all know that you would have done fine building a scratch case. Of course... hindsight and all of that.

9. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

I agree entirely. I was getting a little tired of that.

Back on topic..... In amongst all of the **** I noticed a suggestion to put green plexi in the outer holes of the fan grille/guard. That would look sweet, and I think it would help with balancing the colour scheme.... how about making some more plexi to "trim" the other holes though, if you get what I mean. Sort of "O" rings made from green plexi so as not to hinder the airflow, but to add a little something extra to the grill, making it more of a feature.

Props to ya.

Darkside.

no </sarcasm>

10. bollingbroke

bollingbroke What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 12 Dec 2003
  11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Thats a good idea too Darkside. I never wanted the grille to be all green plexi but some trim to bring it into line with the rest of the front would work. I had an idea for a design to remake the whole guard using both clear and green together, other than just adding some trim to the existing. I think I can make something much better. You and Jonas79 have definitely got me thinking. :idea:

bollingbroke - Welcome to the forums mate! Very interesting thoughts there. However, once again, nothing to do with the Orac3 modding project. This thread is not the place. What I'll do is start a new thread in the 'Feedback' section of the forums, copy your post there, and put a link to it from your post here. 'Feedback' is a more appropriate section and the admins will actually get to see your thoughts straight away.
    Further discussion in the feedback thread please. :)

12. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

I like the idea with the O-rings if it can be done without hindering the airflow. It would be quite a challenge to make rings that narrow in plexi, but maybe G-Gnome could pull that off.

After all, I think the gnome will come up with something even better looking by himself and surprise us all :clap:

Thanks for listening to our suggestions G-Gnome. You rock :rock:

Mod on :dremel:

13. ishiii

ishiii What's a Dremel?

I just want to say that I am amazed and challeneged at the same time.
    If money were no issue I do not think, no I know, I would not be able to do what Gnome has done and is doing.

I cant wait to see the finished product. But hopefully it isnt to long of a wait

14. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

We're here to inspire, not just to admire.....

/waits to see the next version of the guard, and update to log

Darkside.

15. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Now, I'm not really that used to working with plexi/acrylic/lexan but shouldn't it be possible to turn/lathe it? (I hope i'm using the right word)

That way you could even make a little profile on the rings and fastening them would be quite easy (silicone, glue) That is, if you're not redoing it completely ;)

Now that is quite funny when you see what your case looks like now, I'm pretty sure that noone in this forum have any doubt anymore.. ;)

16. avsfan733

avsfan733 What's a Dremel?

turning plastic is for lack of a better word a b***h! it is so gummy because of its chemical properties...its doable, but it requires a lot of sanding and polishing...plus its pretty expensive in form like that.

Mcmaster carr carries it. I would suggest a very sharp bit and very slow feeds with a pretty high speed. I have always wanted to try putting my case up on frosted feet lit from the inside with LED's, kinda make it look like it is floating

17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Yes, I believe plexi can be lathed/turned (but would need a lot of polishing?). I'll probably re-do it completely though (I have an idea in mind...) :idea:

18. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Is the green neon plexi the same as green UV-reactive plexi :confused:

19. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I don't know Goldberg. I have never tried mine with UV light (I don't have any UV lights to test it with either). Looks like it might be from the way ordinary light seems to make it 'glow' but I can't be sure. :confused:

20. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

The question came up searching for blue neon plexi. Asking several resellers I only got the answer of UV plexi, not neon.

I don't know if your going to your plexi shop but if you do please ask.

Maybe somebody else has an idea on this :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.