1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing - new 3M non conductive liquid cooling

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by kim, 8 Aug 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

This video is already one year old, but I saw it today for the first time, and I thought about sharing it :grin:

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The liquid is quite old, its 3M Novec Fluorinert liquid. You can get them at specific boiling points. The problem being that you need a fairly high pressure for the system to operate in, so the case has to be really robust and the liquid is super expensive! You also can get a problem (I forget its name) at certain temperatures where the gas forms a bubble around the hot item and insulates it from the liquid, so you'll get a massive spike in heating and its quite hard to overcome without turning off the system or fluid jets to break the bubble! Still fun stuff though!

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Yes I was kinda outdated :grin:, of course this is not something for consumers, seems like you investigated as well :happy:, the dude in the video mentions about the constrains involved with gas production, but he didn't dare to mention about fluid jets :hehe:... I am aware that this technology only recently emerged, I fond it funny and promising may be :idea:, but what really blew my mind was the moment when he dips a banknote into the liquid, and it comes out totally dry :grin: :lol:

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As @Bloody_Pete said, using Novec/Flourinert in PCs has been around a while [iirc the Armari XCP from 2008 used second-hand coolant from an old Cray supercomputer], but the limiting factor is typically cost [4-figures a litre iirc] and in the XCP's case the fact that certain formulations evaporate at room temperature/pressure. That necessitated the XCP being an airtight tank, and when you wanted to do anything with the hardware it pumped all the coolant into the reservoir so you could work on it without the coolant escaping.

Some, including @Nexxo iirc have also used it in 'traditional' loops rather than immersion.

kim and Bloody_Pete like this.
  6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its cool to see the liquid boiling over the cpu.
    Leidenfrost effect?

Bloody_Pete and kim like this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

:cool: sorry to necro-bumb...I have seen oil immersion before, but those fluids I didn't know about it yet, :thumb: that's what I love with Bittech, there are real experts :clap:

Last edited: 9 Aug 2020
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

9. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I believe someone was even selling some of it on the forums a few months ago. It's super rare and something that's on the "that would make a reaaaaaaaaaaaly cool article but is expensive" list

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

Yes, I believe the price of the fluid itself is outrageous, and the embodyment obviously involves an evaporation chamber or a condensation radiator, without relying on a very hard wearing structure to contain the fluid...:duh: overpriced for consumers for sure :rollingeyes:

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Whaaaat? I'm sad I missed that!

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

13. kim

kim hardware addict

Nope :grin:, you didn't miss it, you even posted this in the thread:

Thanks for the link @RedFlames, there are some interesting additional informations from @Fizzl :
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As RedFlames says, I've used it (PF-5080) in my old watercooling setup: a dual Opteron 250 (2x 89 Watts) and Radeon 1600Xt (50 Watts) on a single Black Ice Xtreme with a Panaflo fan in pull configuration.

[​IMG]

It worked quite well:

[​IMG]

Although temps could get to a toasty 60+C at full gaming power.

Basically, the liquid is 1.7 times heavier than water but has a much lower viscosity. So if you have any leak in your system whatsoever, it will find it. It also evaporates without a trace at room temperatures so slow leaks are very hard to trace. Pour in well-ventilated areas and don't smoke --it doesn't burn (being inert, after all) but will develop toxic fumes. It also expands more than water when warm, so after running it warm for the first time release the reservoir cap briefly to depressurise.

In use it is great: fill and forget. There is no galvanic corrosion, no oxidation, no algae growth, no clouding or discoloration of tubing. If it were to spring a leak, it won't short your expensive hardware and it won't leave any messy residue. The only downside is price (you can still find some on eBay --usually reclaimed, but don't worry about that; purity is fine), and given its low viscosity I'm not confident using it with compression fittings of the Bitspower kind.