1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU ATX12vo Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 14 Aug 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

LTT did the below video which I thought was super interesting!

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I feel like they missed a trick in revising atx power supplies. If they had gone for one big connector for all power needs it could be so much cleaner. Scrap the CPU EPS plugs, that weird separate 8 pin SATA power feed (just put it on the one block) and even consider the same approach as the sata power offtake from the board for PCIE power connectors (i.e. a short cable run from GFX card to a power output on the mobo).

Not being an electrical engineer I suspect this approach wouldhit power draw issues of cabling/traces but if your going to break backwards compatibility you might as well do it wholesale.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

That's really impressive.

I've been tracking my new Ryzen platform power use, it uses 60-80 watts at desktop and during normal light usage. If this can drop future more efficient components down to 20-30w, I'll be looking to switch on my next build (in 5+ years time)

Agree with @Spraduke, why not just have a single cable to mobo, another 2/3 to graphics card. Then mobo provides 2 connectors for SATA and molex. Nothing else is needed.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

This is the case "we can't meet requirements X, so move some of the stuff to the parts that are not measured to meet X". And I somewhat doubt the likes of DELL or HP will use it, Dell dont seem to be bothered to use the standard ATX24 pinout then they use the same connector.
    Imo, what current ATX PSU spec needs is 24V option, so to ease implementations of 36/60W+ USB-PD implementations.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I do a fair bit of PCB design, and its probably because power routing would be a nightmare. It costs more to have more through hole parts, so if it was easy to have less I promise you they'd have done it a long time ago. If it was one connector that connector would need to be moderately spaced away from SMD/SMT components (due to manufacturing constraints) and you'd then need to be routing hundred's of watts of power through PCB layers, usually the top and bottom as internal ones are much much thinner. So all in all, you'd gain a little bit of asthetics but add £100 to every motherboard...

If you want a bit more insight, PCBway have a great video series here that shows you how everything gets made and assembled :)

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  7. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

HP already does this.

8. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Do they use this standard or are they using 12VO PSU but with their own proprietary connectors/pinouts?

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

I think they could have done a few things:
    • smaller form factor
    • a combines SATA power cable, maybe put the data and power connectors next to each other on the board and a single cable at the end
    • ok, that's all I could think of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So make a new SATA connection?

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

The connectors on the drive end are always next to each other, I think they can make a smaller connector or at least put them next to each other to have a single cable with the data power data at the drive end.
    So, the cable would change, and maybe the connector on the board end, but not the drive end.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

In this ATX 12VO world where SATA source is always roughly same location on the motherboard The SATA connector should be supplied by case manufacturer. Then they can provide a single SATA connector that can be routed perfectly across all their possible HDD locations. No extra cable needs tucked away, exact perfect amount of cable for all the HDD locations.

Another possibility is for SFX or even slimmer form factor to take off.
    Video also said it's do-able down to mATX form factor. So compact mATX builds could become as popular as mITX. Difference is, the main compartment is largely similar, ensuring widest compatibility and spare PCIe expandability, just delete the unnecessary PSU-HDD tunnel. a slim PSU can go next to RAM up front.

The case I want is a 2 compartment case, traditional mATX layout with handle up top.
    - Bottom compartment is all PCIe half of the board, 2x bottom intake (optional GPU AIO watercooling), vents along the side and front near the separator (for hot air exhaust)
    - Separator between the top expansion slot and rear IO, goes all throughout the case, completely prevent any GPU hot air coming up.
    - Top compartment is all about CPU cooling. Rear intake, optional top AIO watercooling or fans or 2.5 SSD mount, front PSU and side exhaust.
    Similar to SFX layout for this case, but with a separator and my airflow mods.
    https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/

Arboreal likes this.
  13. creative

creative 500rwhp

saw this and a comment pointed out somthing that was obvious...

removed the 24 pin connector and replaced it with a 10pin, 6pin and 2 x 4pin... the irony.....

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The 2x4 pin are the EPS ones, so they would be there any way... I'm guessing the 6 pin is optional for more demanding PCI-E devices.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That won't happen because bespoke SATA cables, leet alone multiple for one case, would be too expensive. Doubly so as the trend for most people is to just use a M.2 drive and not need any cables! I think very few people what that and the actual thermal benifits over better fans would be minimal.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You want to keep your noisey switching regulators away frol thinks like high speeds comms though, and SATA has to go there to be close to the chipset. On top of that you then need a new connector standard for everyone to follow and be certified and ratiffied. Then you need it to be something will actaully use, and seeing as the current trend is M.2, I doulbt it very much.