1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Those "articles" are op-eds by Seeking Alpha users, not staffers - they're literally people who have investments in a company telling other people to also invest so their own portfolio increases in value. Think blogs, not newspapers.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A fact which is highlighted exactly where? :eyebrow: It really annoys me, because they make it look like real investment advice, when all it is is just a cheap shot at getting their own investment back. They even make it sound pseudo-knowledgeable and given the knowledge about tech in Mr Joe Average it might just work.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

When you search for "Intel" on SA, you get three tabs: Analysis, News, and Transcripts. Transcripts are literally what Intel said during an earnings or other conference call; News articles are, in theory, unbiased reportage; analysis articles, though, are just opinion pieces - in fact, if you look at the URLs "Analysis" is actually recorded as "articles" in the CMS.

Here's a good 'un from an Intel fanboy, all about how Intel rules and AMD drools. If you scroll riiiiiight down to the bottom there, you'll see in Flyspeck 4:
    (Let's ignore for the moment the fact that "being a shareholder" and "having no business relationship" are mutually exclusive...)

You'll see exactly the same disclosure on this gushing piece from The Value Trend. Interestingly, but unsurprisingly, this actual analysis from Mott Capital Management which says Intel investors could lose up to another 13 percent has a very different disclaimer:
    TL;DR: It's highlighted at the bottom of literally every "analysis" piece.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2020
    Arboreal and perplekks45 like this.
  4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Someone keeps setting the alarm earlier and earlier to go to work on the weekend. 5:30am to start for 7:30...

Workplace is 10 minutes drive from home

I wasn’t even the one giving her a lift

Alarm wakes up grumpy and now overtired child

Day is a ****ing right off

6. DeadP1xels

Negative feedback

no prior message, just left it... claimed product was broken

why not ask for a refund first though?

just had to reach out to them myself to potentially solve the issue

7. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Broken right index finger at the first joint - orthopaedic consultant appointment tomorrow morning, wonder what they'll say....

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Anything like mine, "congrats you have fractured your little finger"

Then applies what amounts to a lolly stick chopped down an some tape an sends me packing.

9. teacherboy

Already had the finger "trouser" splint and was given some tape yesterday when I presented myself to A&E, had the X-Ray and confirmation of a break, wonder if they want to put a larger more immobilisng dressing on it for a week or two, if it was to keep splint on and elevate as much as possible they could have just reiterated that on phone when they called me for the appointment to be made. Third time i've broken something in my right hand (Scaphoid bone on a punching bag and tore ligaments off my thumb on a dry ski slope when I fell over and didn't ball my fists), hurt like a hurty thing when I did it and now some swelling has gone down its a constant dull throb with big ole stabs of pain if i catch it on something.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Because, hassle, if something is cheap it's not worth the agro of packaging it back up, printing a label, finding a post office etc etc etc.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

"You're right, it's broken" or "Nah it's just a sprain" followed by "take some painkillers and go away"

teacherboy likes this.
  12. DeadP1xels

True but if something is claimed to be broken I tend just offer up the refund without taking the return. (Why pay for return postage to bin it right?) I just don’t understand why someone wouldn’t atleast message before. Give it an hour or two atleast before raging

Thankfully they’ve changed it now having given them the refund without them asking and sending them a nice message. Customer service winning.

13. teacherboy

Unlikely, nurse/secretary who called said the othopaedic consultant had reviewed my X-Ray and wanted to see me, why waste an appointment for a consultant that could be better used elsewhere and my time if they didn't want to do something else to it - I think it'll be a proper trigger finger splint at least and a rigid cast at most.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Amputation at the neck! :p

15. teacherboy

:eyebrow:

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Which part are you throwing away?

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. Did they want more words in that product name?

It's a fine phone, it seems, but killing the battery is taking forever.

The lady's mum dropped it in the bath and apparently no one tried turning it on again after that, so a week later when I got my hands on it.. It just turned on and worked fine. So now I want to completely drain the battery and charge it back up, just to see whether there's anything wrong with doing that (As I'm sure the eventual owner (The mum) will do).

Yesterday I had all apps open, I had the flashlight on, and I managed to take a whopping 20% of battery off it.

Today I've got full brightness screen, youtube playing full screen, all the apps open, and it's still not draining as fast as I want it to. Stupid giant phones with their gigantic batteries.

18. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

2020 Can officially do one.

March - Lockdown.
    April - Our eldest girl rabbit gets ill, £700 vet bill. Seems fine afterwards.
    May - Our eldest male rabbit, Dobby passed away, unknown cause. He was 8 years old and mine and my wifes best friend. A proper cuddle rabbit. +£700 vets bill for diagnosis, meds and later end of life treatment.
    June - Our eldest girl rabbit passes on. Unknown cause, didn't seem the same since her partner died. Apparently they can die of the stress of losing a partner. (Both now buried next to eachother in the garden)
    Late June - Emergency trip to the hospital, my pregnant wife had developed severe pains. After several tests and baby heart rate monitoring on June 28th they lost the heartbeat for 3 minutes and opted for emergency c-section birth. The staff at the hospital were amazing and both wife and baby are doing great now.
    July - Business has taken a dive since coronavirus, no support from banks or government.
    August - Wife develops more pains. Emergency trip to A&E with suspected appendicitus. Baby develops severe case of colic and reflux and no longer sleeps on back even elevated.

<sarcasm>Can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings.</sarcasm> I think i'll be treating myself to something nice for my birthday in October, some watercooling items i think and a new case.

Ohh, and it's been over 3 months since my Bounce Back Loan application with still no news on any progress to take advantage of a business opportunity.

19. teacherboy

Turns out I have torn/smashed off the first joint of my right index finger - normally this would be a wire fixator through skin, but risk of infection is at 5%+ and with my prosthetic heart valve/aorta its an unnaceptable risk to them unless the bone doesn't fuse in it's current misaligned position - if it doesn't then surgery is only option unless im happy to have a misaligned index finger with reduced grip strength on my dominant hand.... it's all the way broken :lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]Broken finger by Simon Brown, on Flickr

if cast doesn't work, surgery for me

[​IMG]Broken finger cast by Simon Brown, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Aug 2020
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You're doing it wrong. Go and get yourself into a life threatening situation by getting lost in the Peak District or something. Watch that battery life suddenly disappear for no reason at all :eeek:.
    Oof! Hang on in there!

liratheal likes this.